ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help / Suggestions For IEM RF Issues  (Read 32797 times)

Terry Martin

Re: Need Help / Suggestions For IEM RF Issues
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2018, 09:49:49 PM »

Here is a WWB file for the last venue where we had the RF zaps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CHUIm9le2_kxrfJMOd4T_1dXLagLUvlx

Jordan Wolf

Need Help / Suggestions For IEM RF Issues
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »

Make sure you import the scan data into Workbench and set the exclusion threshold as low as possible to the average noise floor of the scan - gotta leave enough room for however many freqs you need, so it’s a balancing act.

I say manually check off the TV stations that are showing up in the scan. The FCC database isn’t always up-to-date, and with the spectrum repack, stations are moving to new freqs. very quickly, which won’t be reflected in the database immediately.

When a 6MHz chunk of spectrum is taken up, check it off and exclude it from the coordination.

I default to “Robust” coordinations and see what I can get - usually 60 freqs. or so if it’s only wireless mics or IEMs, less if both.

Learn to use Inclusion Groups to help separate your mics & IEMs.

Shure has released a lot more videos on WWB recently; check them all out, even if you think you know what they are talking about.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

DavidTurner

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2018, 10:40:53 PM »

There are plenty of people on this thread with more knowledge and experience than I have and they can surely Advise you better than I, but here is my method: 

I always calculate a new solution rather than analyzing and re-using any previous solution. In addition, I have wwb calculate a number of spare channels for each bandsplit. Then after assigning and tuning each unit, I have a look at the rf level on each receiver with its associated transmitter’s rf muted. If it shows any meter deflection at all, I switch it to one of my spare channels. I then walk each receiver through the performance area listening for dropouts. If you are also using wireless mics and/or instrument transmitters, be sure they are on and transmitting when you do your walk/listen. Also bring each IEM receiver close to any mic or instrument transmitter to be sure you don’t get any intermod. If a performer has both a wireless mic and instrument, bring both transmitters near his IEM pack at the same time  while listening for dropouts and noises.

Even with this amount of preparation, there will be times when you will get interference at show time that was absent at soundcheck. Having spare channels calculated and ready is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

I'm surprised nobody has suggested switching out the omni paddle for a helical. I would never use an omni for IEMs.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Terry Martin

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »

I'm surprised nobody has suggested switching out the omni paddle for a helical. I would never use an omni for IEMs.
Thanks Andrew.  If I remember correctly, I’ve read that others use Omni for IEMs?  Think this is the source of my problem?

So this past weekend, Friday night no significant noise although was getting a bass guitar artifact after plucking string.  Not obnoxious.  We left everything as is.  Saturday night, different zip code.  No change to frequencies, etc.  No noise at all from anything.  Perfect condition.

Friday, lighting rig/truss was about 7’ above the stage.  Saturday, said lighting rig/truss was about 13’ above the stage.  Same lighting rig, (all LED) scanners, pars, bars, moving heads for both shows.  I’ve yet to correlate truss height (LEDs further away),but may be plausible that there is some effect.   There is just so much to troubleshoot and not enough time to do at load in.  Seems we don’t have an issue when we do have time. Lol

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »

Hi Terry,
don't think this could be the cause from what you reported, but... have you tried to notch out 19 kHz in the audio signal? IEMs use MPX encoding to transmit stereo channel by one carrier, and MPX uses a 19 kHz tone as reference for stereo demodulation. In the past I had some problems for audio signal masking MPX tone with Shure IEMs. Never tried that with Sennheiser units but I know they also use MPX encoding.
If you're using digital desk It's easy to cut 19 kHz on the aux sends, just try and let us know  :)
LOUDER! - illustrated history of audio and live show evolution. http://www.patreon.com/gianlucacavallini

Terry Martin

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »

Hmm, no - haven’t tried that.  But that should be easy to try this weekend. 

Unfortunately, the 2 venues we are playing this weekend “typically” don’t result in noise issues.  So, not sure if I will be able to confirm if effective temporary CM or not.  But appreciate the suggestion!

Hi Terry,
don't think this could be the cause from what you reported, but... have you tried to notch out 19 kHz in the audio signal? IEMs use MPX encoding to transmit stereo channel by one carrier, and MPX uses a 19 kHz tone as reference for stereo demodulation. In the past I had some problems for audio signal masking MPX tone with Shure IEMs. Never tried that with Sennheiser units but I know they also use MPX encoding.
If you're using digital desk It's easy to cut 19 kHz on the aux sends, just try and let us know  :)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »

Thanks Andrew.  If I remember correctly, I’ve read that others use Omni for IEMs?  Think this is the source of my problem?
I know people do use Omnis, I just don't know why other than as a cost-saving measure. I've had problems with (what I suspect was) multipath when using Omni so I switched to Helicals and never looked back. Helicals let you point the signal just where it needs to go, plus the signal gets to the receiver even if the antennas are at right angles. If it doesn't fix all your problems, it certainly can't hurt, if you've got the budget. As I say, I would never consider an IEM rig without a Helical or at the very least a directional paddle.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:14 AM »

I know people do use Omnis, I just don't know why other than as a cost-saving measure. I've had problems with (what I suspect was) multipath when using Omni so I switched to Helicals and never looked back. Helicals let you point the signal just where it needs to go, plus the signal gets to the receiver even if the antennas are at right angles. If it doesn't fix all your problems, it certainly can't hurt, if you've got the budget. As I say, I would never consider an IEM rig without a Helical or at the very least a directional paddle.

You're not wrong, but...  :)  [and this message isn't really for you, Andy, as i'm not going to say anything you don't already know]

I do agree that Helicals are wonderful [and have come down to a reasonable level cost wise as well].  But there are times when a wider angle works to your advantage.  And there are times when an omni works to your advantage. 

The important thing is to know what you're trying to accomplish and then have a strong enough working knowledge of the tools available to you to make a proper decision regarding which tool you should deploy and when.  I think the most pervasive problem i see with people trying to deploy RF is their desire for someone to tell them the ONE solution that will just ALWAYS work, rather than taking the time to understand all the variables so that they can get the best results in every situation.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Terry Martin

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »

Appreciate the explanation!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.