ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help / Suggestions For IEM RF Issues  (Read 32795 times)

Terry Martin

Re: Need Help / Suggestions For IEM RF Issues
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »

Be sure to get the antenna at least 6' up in the air, on a mic stand or speaker stand, and be sure you are using good low loss 50Ω antenna cable. At 20' of cable RG58 should be fine, but it is easily damaged, so be sure it is good.

Mac
Thanks Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »

Looking at the rack, I would move the RF to the top and get the drawer and X32 on the bottom. Also, I know it is typical to use a router for the X32-R, you will also need to remove this from the rack and mount it away a little bit. Next is to be sure the artists don't carry cell phones on them while they play. I just today heard some weird stuff in my rf feed and sure enough the keynote had his cell phone on a belt holder right next to the body pack. Removed the phone and the problem ceased to exist.

Antenna's are susceptible to boundary's and metal shielding such as wall panels and other large metal objects. Especially when the metal objects start to interfere with their ground plane. I had a show once where I had to set up behind a concrete stage. Now the rf was placed on the ground floor of that stage, but it messed with the ground plane of the RF enough that even line of sight was not enough. I think it could have been because of the likely rebar lattice that was in the stage floor?

Try taking the RF out of the rack entirely and isolating it. If that solves the problem, then it's the rack setup that is the issue.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »

Disregard the 2 short BNC cables connected in the back.  That has since been resolved.

Are you sure the TX combiner is functioning properly? For a quick test:
1 - Connect your antenna directly to IEM transmitter #1.
2 - Turn on the #1 pack receiver and walk away from the TX antenna until the receiver shows 3 bars on the RF signal strength indicator.
3 - Leave receiver pack at that location, and return to the rack and reconnect the TX combiner in line.
4 - Return to the receiver pack: How many bars are showing for RF signal strength?

This will simply tell you the RF power output level of the combiner; not if it's throwing off spurious emissions and IM products. You'll need a spectrum analyzer for that.

Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Terry Martin

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »

Are you sure the TX combiner is functioning properly? For a quick test:
1 - Connect your antenna directly to IEM transmitter #1.
2 - Turn on the #1 pack receiver and walk away from the TX antenna until the receiver shows 3 bars on the RF signal strength indicator.
3 - Leave receiver pack at that location, and return to the rack and reconnect the TX combiner in line.
4 - Return to the receiver pack: How many bars are showing for RF signal strength?

This will simply tell you the RF power output level of the combiner; not if it's throwing off spurious emissions and IM products. You'll need a spectrum analyzer for that.
I have tested the system with the combiner removed - same issue. 

I'll be out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to do any further testing for a while.

Terry Martin

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 08:31:40 AM »

Looking at the rack, I would move the RF to the top and get the drawer and X32 on the bottom. Also, I know it is typical to use a router for the X32-R, you will also need to remove this from the rack and mount it away a little bit. Next is to be sure the artists don't carry cell phones on them while they play. I just today heard some weird stuff in my rf feed and sure enough the keynote had his cell phone on a belt holder right next to the body pack. Removed the phone and the problem ceased to exist.

Antenna's are susceptible to boundary's and metal shielding such as wall panels and other large metal objects. Especially when the metal objects start to interfere with their ground plane. I had a show once where I had to set up behind a concrete stage. Now the rf was placed on the ground floor of that stage, but it messed with the ground plane of the RF enough that even line of sight was not enough. I think it could have been because of the likely rebar lattice that was in the stage floor?

Try taking the RF out of the rack entirely and isolating it. If that solves the problem, then it's the rack setup that is the issue.
The X32 has nothing to do with this - it has been powered down throughout the latest round of testing.   The only significance is the interference started when I added it to the rack.  I believe we can eliminate it at this point.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »

The X32 has nothing to do with this - it has been powered down throughout the latest round of testing.   The only significance is the interference started when I added it to the rack.  I believe we can eliminate it at this point.

So new rack and now stereo. Did you say that the problem seems to go away when you switched it back to mono? I was wondering if there is any possibility that there is some difference between the new rack and the old rack like you were getting better chassis bonding between worn rack rails and possibly more isolation with new rails with fresh paint on the rails? Did you ever pull the transmitters out of the rack and test then just sitting on a table? Divide and conquer. And just remember the first rule to troubleshooting, get a bigger hammer.      8)

Terry Martin

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »

So new rack and now stereo. Did you say that the problem seems to go away when you switched it back to mono? I was wondering if there is any possibility that there is some difference between the new rack and the old rack like you were getting better chassis bonding between worn rack rails and possibly more isolation with new rails with fresh paint on the rails? Did you ever pull the transmitters out of the rack and test then just sitting on a table? Divide and conquer. And just remember the first rule to troubleshooting, get a bigger hammer.      8)
It's a new old rack - a 12 space I hadn't used in a while.
It does "appear" to be eliminated in mono mode, but I will test with full band on Mar 11.
I did not take transmitters out of the rack, but I did isolate 1 by 1.  They all act the same with no other gear powered up. 

I do have a BFH handy.  Lol

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »

The X32 rack is a large metal box, that is located right next to another large metal box that burying your RF in a metal tomb. If you don't have the router on, that is eliminating another possibility, but you still need to get the LARGE METAL OBJECTS away from the RF. Move the RF up and the large metal objects down in the rack is what I am saying. Get the RF as high as it can so that preferably there is no other metal objects directly next to it.  I would go as far as taking out the rack blank and if you must have one, find one made of plastic.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

The X32 rack is a large metal box, that is located right next to another large metal box that burying your RF in a metal tomb. If you don't have the router on, that is eliminating another possibility, but you still need to get the LARGE METAL OBJECTS away from the RF. Move the RF up and the large metal objects down in the rack is what I am saying. Get the RF as high as it can so that preferably there is no other metal objects directly next to it.  I would go as far as taking out the rack blank and if you must have one, find one made of plastic.

Ah, no. You need to keep large metal objects away from the antenna. Terry has an external omni antenna that is away from the rack.

Mac

Terry Martin

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »

Haven't posted in a while, but we're still dealing with these random zaps/interference.  I have coordinated frequencies, did scans at offending venues, and still no relief.  Would a directional paddle help vs the omni I'm using?   Could it be the combiner going/is bad?   Appreciate all the advice. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.