ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency Exit doors that can stop very loud bass frequencies?  (Read 9514 times)

Chris Cox

Re: Emergency Exit doors that can stop very loud bass frequencies?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »

An SPL meter cannot tell you where the sound is coming from.

It can kinda get close if you are lucky-but it could also be reading reflections, which can really screw with what it is telling you.

Oh yeah I understand that walking around with a db meter can't possibly give anything close to the level of precision that the Acoustic Camera would give. I guess I should have said that in terms of the whole building, db meters have shown that the emergency exit door is the only major problem - and currently, it's a huge mess of a problem that the precision of the Acoustic Camera would likely be wasted on. Once the door is replaced, the wall around it is reinforced or replaced, and the seal between the door and it's frame are tight, we'll see where we're at. If we're still having issues, I'd think that would be the time that the Acoustic Camera would be most useful?

Barry Singleton

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »

Without seriously searching I don't see a price on the acoustic camera. Anyone know?

Back to the door. We have several dyno cells at our facility. The mechanical racket is very broad spectrum as is the induction and exhaust noise.

The cells are made of solid filled 12" thick cinder block. The windows are 5 pane with some tilted panes in the middle.

The man doors are solid core wood (MDF)  that are sheet steel incased with a layer of heavy mineral loaded rubber and an inch of acoustical foam on the inside where the doors face each other.  There is a door on each side of the single metal frame. It is amazing how much sound the secondary door reduces the sound leakage into the building.

These doors open in oposition so would not qualify for your emergency exit single action opening doors.

Maybe you could set up an experimental secondary barrier for an inexpensive test?

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »

Without seriously searching I don't see a price on the acoustic camera. Anyone know?

Back to the door. We have several dyno cells at our facility. The mechanical racket is very broad spectrum as is the induction and exhaust noise.

The cells are made of solid filled 12" thick cinder block. The windows are 5 pane with some tilted panes in the middle.

The man doors are solid core wood (MDF)  that are sheet steel incased with a layer of heavy mineral loaded rubber and an inch of acoustical foam on the inside where the doors face each other.  There is a door on each side of the single metal frame. It is amazing how much sound the secondary door reduces the sound leakage into the building.

These doors open in oposition so would not qualify for your emergency exit single action opening doors.

Maybe you could set up an experimental secondary barrier for an inexpensive test?

Barry.
I don't know about now-but several years ago it was pretty expensive.

$80K comes to mind-but I could be way off.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rick Earl

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »

There are acoustical consultants you can hire that have these tools, AND know how to use them,  probable a lot cheaper than buying one.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »

I see the concept of "turn that shit down" is not an option.

The long term solution?  Buy the adjacent properties and rent them to employees and disclose the potential nuisance in the rental agreement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 01:42:32 AM »

Not saying it will definitely help but how about treating the entire room with a Helmholtz or panel resonator so that you can decrease the overall amount of pressure in the room.

This in addition to a more massive door with decent seals should decrease you bass complaints a lot.

Of course it will cost money but thats what you get for having a dance club in a bad location.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 01:42:32 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.