ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TEF Listserve  (Read 4479 times)

Marcel de Graaf

TEF Listserve
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »

Hello,

For measuring loudspeakers/electronics i am having a TEF12 and TEF20.

Maybe a strange question, but i trying to collect as much info around these analyzers and
the corresponding measurements.

There used to be a forum (http://tefguy.forumchitchat.com/) and therefore a e-mail listserve.

There should be a lot of info on that listserve. Is there somebody who still has those old e-mail
archives or can point to a direction?

Maybe i have some luck here.

grtz. Marcel

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: TEF Listserve
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »

He guy you need to talk to is Ray Rayburn. He can be found at Testmic.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

TEF is a great measurement system that can do some amazing things.

But sadly I feel it will "die" within my lifetime.

It is to complicated and expensive for most people these days.

I don't use it for all of my measurements.  I try to use the proper tool for the particular job I am doing.

It all depends on what I am trying to accomplish at a particular time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »

TEF is a great measurement system that can do some amazing things.

But sadly I feel it will "die" within my lifetime.

It is to complicated and expensive for most people these days.

I don't use it for all of my measurements.  I try to use the proper tool for the particular job I am doing.

It all depends on what I am trying to accomplish at a particular time.

Don't start writing the obituary yet. I know more than one person who still carry Ivie PC-40s and swear by them.

Marcel de Graaf

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Thanks for the answers. I have contacted Ray Rayburn.

Indeed it is sadly not widely used anymore. The way it is measuring the acoustic response of a loudspeaker, with
a real phase detector and a tracking filter, provide`s me the best response of the loudspeaker alone with the highest SNR`s possible.

Today`s analyzers are off course much faster and have more possiblity, but doesn`t always provide the correct answers.

grtz. marcel

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »

Indeed it is sadly not widely used anymore. The way it is measuring the acoustic response of a loudspeaker, with
a real phase detector and a tracking filter, provide`s me the best response of the loudspeaker alone with the highest SNR`s possible.

The newer TEFs (20 and 25) do not use a real phase detector (like the 10 and 12).

The new ones can be "fooled" from time to time.

The noise immunity is still FAR FAR better than other measurements systems.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »

The newer TEFs (20 and 25) do not use a real phase detector (like the 10 and 12).

The new ones can be "fooled" from time to time.

The noise immunity is still FAR FAR better than other measurements systems.

I am just curious as the web site was fascinating.  In general price ranges is the TEF25 and a functional set of software licenses about the same as SMAART or a whole different league of pricing?

What year did the original tracking filter come into play?  Around 1984/5 these Z axis test sets started to emerge on the RF scene that were fast enough to tune cavities and such in real time.  This was the parlance of complex factory labs previously.  I was wondering if this technology was available in the AF space at the same time? 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »

I am just curious as the web site was fascinating.  In general price ranges is the TEF25 and a functional set of software licenses about the same as SMAART or a whole different league of pricing?

What year did the original tracking filter come into play?  Around 1984/5 these Z axis test sets started to emerge on the RF scene that were fast enough to tune cavities and such in real time.  This was the parlance of complex factory labs previously.  I was wondering if this technology was available in the AF space at the same time?
I can only answer the first part of your question.

TEF is going to be a good bit more than Smaart-and that is with some basic software.

There are a number of different "modules" for TEF-so a complete set is even more.

Of course TEF can do things that other measurement systems simply can't, such as polar ETC.

I have used it a good number of times and am not aware that any other system can do this

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Marcello Croce

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »

Hello all,
as a long time user of TEF 12 machine since middle eighties, I would like to see the old TEF listserve or the forum at http://tefguy.forumchitchat.com/register/register
resurrected.

Cant really see all the good stuff gone lost.

Regards

Marcello

Tom Danley

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 03:27:09 PM »

Hi Scott
His first AES paper on TDS appears to have been in 1967 but I am not sure when he began working on TDS. 
Doug Jones was curator for the Heyser archives and it was cool looking through the shelves, he was a Diy’r, a Ham operator and loved audio.
I have to say Dick Heyser was one brilliant guy and having had a TEF to use and explore things with since the early days at Intersonics, the TEF machine changed my life (in addition to making my right arm longer carrying a TEF 10)
Best,
Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 03:27:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.