ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Cost Processor Suggestions  (Read 10063 times)

jason misterka

Re: Low Cost Processor Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »

OK, have to add the QSC units to the list.  It appears those more capable ones are pretty spendy even used.  I was considering the  more modest QSC DSP30 even though it has XLR connectors.

Another one that I was considering is the Peavey X-frame 88.  Like some of the others it has front controls that probably can be locked out.

It looks like there are a lot of good choices at good used prices as long as I am willing to take a risk on outdated firmware/software.

The basic Shure DFR22 is looking better and better since it is still current.  I don't really need the touted feedback suppression.
The QSC Basis units were close to $3000 new when released. If you find one for $100 you should buy it.   A little outdated interface but high quality and very configurable. Software still works fine and is network based, not a serial port.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »

Unless you have people who will try to sabotage you, I have found just bolting on a security cover to be enough to discourage tampering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 12:06:09 AM »

Unless you have people who will try to sabotage you, I have found just bolting on a security cover to be enough to discourage tampering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey - I represent that remark!
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »

Also look into:

dbx zonepro 640 or 641
Shure P4800
Shure DFR 11
Ashly 24.24 (original rs-232 version)
Peavey Digitool (act fast, there's one on ebay now for $70)
and even the Behringer DCX can be useful for simple tasks like this.

Don't be scared off by legacy software, most any older XP desktop has a native serial port and you can re-purpose it for this one use.

Also don't forget analog which can be found for pennies on the dollar now, A basic 2-way crossover, a 15-band EQ followed up by a comp (and a bunch of security covers.)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »

Also look into:

dbx zonepro 640 or 641
Shure P4800
Shure DFR 11
Ashly 24.24 (original rs-232 version)
Peavey Digitool (act fast, there's one on ebay now for $70)
and even the Behringer DCX can be useful for simple tasks like this.

Don't be scared off by legacy software, most any older XP desktop has a native serial port and you can re-purpose it for this one use.

Also don't forget analog which can be found for pennies on the dollar now, A basic 2-way crossover, a 15-band EQ followed up by a comp (and a bunch of security covers.)

Axe the DFR11 suggestion. They are really noisy, and have a tenancy to up and stop working after 10 years.  Also, i have had really bad luck getting software to run on anything after XP.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »

I'll make another mention for the Zone Pro series the 1241 and 641 have no front panel controls at all. The "M" versions have ethernet and serial port connections.
Look on Ebay, clean used ones are available all the time. With a Zone Pro you could also add a remote volume control, source or scene selector if needed. You could even get fancy and program a schedule into the unit that would change the volume at different times through the day.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:52:47 PM by Mike Caldwell »

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »

+1 on dbx ZonePro 641/641m.  Very reasonably priced, sounds good, and easy to program. 
They use Phoenix connectors -- no XLR.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 10:46:32 PM »

If you find any biamp stuff on eBay....  it's network updatable, no front interface....

This has the input output cards you need....

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Biamp-AudiaFlex-TI-2-DSP-Digital-Audio-Platform-LOT-A-/252724981395

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 12:06:43 AM »

Hey - just wanted say I have been following the suggestions and looking them up.  Thanks for overwhelming me with good options!

Some of these suggestions usually exceed the (lame) price range.  It is lame because  I am buying this and donating it along with a bunch of other gear.

The zonepro stuff I have looked at before and it looks good -but generally tough to find at a low price.

I didn't know the Bi-amp gear was still current as I mostly see units that apper to be quite old.  I sort of lump Bi-amp in with Dukane gear as being somewhat  obscure and with questionable audio quality.  I will admit this is an unfounded preconception with no basis in actual experience.  Both those brands might be very solid.  In an event, I am a little leery of  gear with "modules" for portable use.

I did see a good deal on an Ashley 4.24GS that looks quite capable.  I have always thought of their stuff as top shelf but the unit has XLR connectors.

I saw a Shure DRF22 for about $80 total and am still leaning toward one of those.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Robert Healey

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »

I didn't know the Bi-amp gear was still current as I mostly see units that apper to be quite old.  I sort of lump Bi-amp in with Dukane gear as being somewhat  obscure and with questionable audio quality.  I will admit this is an unfounded preconception with no basis in actual experience.  Both those brands might be very solid.  In an event, I am a little leery of  gear with "modules" for portable use.

I was just going to recommend an AudiaFlex. There was just a fully loaded one on Craigslist in my area for $100.

Biamp only operates in the install world and is at the high end of that market. Far from obscure, they have a significant market share. I could guess that you probably hear more Biamp DSP on a daily basis than anything else in convention centers, auditoriums, classrooms, malls, etc. Lumping them in with Dukane is silly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.