ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Countryman e6 crackling  (Read 7149 times)

Peter_Jacobs

Countryman e6 crackling
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »

I am new to this forum (where have I been hiding?) and found it while searching for crackling noise in an e6.  I maintain three e6 mics and have successfully re-soldered pack connectors a few times after cutting out bad cable but the crackling noise was a new one.  It seemed to be the earset, but it was an issue at the connector. 
While debugging I ended up with the problem on two mics.  Arrrg.  There was green oxidization visible. I used contact cleaner to wash the connections and applied a minute amount of conductive compound to the sleeve.  The two mics have been trouble free for the short time  since the cleaning.
Two questions, from others' experience, will my cleaning be effective or a short lived repair.  What other quality brands might be more reliable?  The e6 was more than $600 CDN$$.

Thanks for the advice.

John Rutirasiri

Re: Countryman e6 crackling
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:02:09 PM »

What other quality brands might be more reliable?  The e6 was more than $600 CDN$$.

A community colleges I work with has replaced their collection of e6's with Point Source Audio Embrace mics.  Slightly cheaper, more meaty sounding, looks much better, and easier to EQ.

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »

Green oxidization makes me think sweat probably got up in there.  If that's the case it's real hard to guess how long till it happens again.  You could always throw some shrink over the connection but then when you need to service it you'll have to cut the shrink off without damaging the gear.

Also, check your supplier for the e6.  I can buy them (omni) for under $300USD.  Little more for a couple of the directional models.  I don't know all of what it takes to get something from the US to Canada but over 2x the price seems out of line.

Mike Hough

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »

We had two e6's go bad with the same symptoms. Replaced the cables but crackling continued. It was actually the wire inside the ear loop, right at the sharp bend near the cable connector. We had one that actually came apart inside the ear loop.

You can send them back to Countryman and have them repaired.

Ended up replacing with DPA d:fine and have been very happy with the results.

Peter_Jacobs

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I really thought the problem was in the earpiece because I could reproduce the crackling while holding the earpiece firmly in one hand and moving the boom with my other hand.  I now believe that this action was actually moving the centre pin at the connector.   The contact cleaner and antioxidant may be the answer- now two weeks problem free.  As for the price, the cheapest I found an e6 in the USA was BHphotovideo.com for $330 with a Shure cable and $426 with a Sennheiser cable. Multiply by 1.36 for CDN$ - ouch!   Erik, where is this less than $300 price you mentioned?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I really thought the problem was in the earpiece because I could reproduce the crackling while holding the earpiece firmly in one hand and moving the boom with my other hand.  I now believe that this action was actually moving the centre pin at the connector.   The contact cleaner and antioxidant may be the answer- now two weeks problem free.  As for the price, the cheapest I found an e6 in the USA was BHphotovideo.com for $330 with a Shure cable and $426 with a Sennheiser cable. Multiply by 1.36 for CDN$ - ouch!   Erik, where is this less than $300 price you mentioned?

I just did a google search for e6i.  The first shopping result was for CCI solutions showing an e6i shure for 289.99.  Bottom of the page had the link to the sennheiser version, same price.  Google currency convert gives a CAD price of 378.75.  No idea how shipping or tax would impact you.  If shipping is high then maybe take the opportunity to order spare parts - that shouldn't impact the shipping cost since they are small and lightweight.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:18:42 PM »

I am glad that the cleaning seems to have fixed you problem. I have had the same problem because I use a lot of E6 mics, very rarely has the cleaning worked for very long. We buy a lot of replacement cables and putting a new one on is the only fix that has continued to work for us. At the connector at the ear-set seems to be a week point on the 1mm cables. I like the size and flexibility of the 1mm cables but they are fragile. They also sell a 2mm replacement cable. If I have an energetic actor and they break one of the 1mm cables if we continue to use the E6 on them we many times put the 2mm cable on the mic. I wish they made a 1.5mm cable for them. Still flexible but a little bit stronger than the 1mm. 

Chris Sieggen

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »

I am new to this forum (where have I been hiding?) and found it while searching for crackling noise in an e6.  I maintain three e6 mics and have successfully re-soldered pack connectors a few times after cutting out bad cable but the crackling noise was a new one.  It seemed to be the earset, but it was an issue at the connector. 
While debugging I ended up with the problem on two mics.  Arrrg.  There was green oxidization visible. I used contact cleaner to wash the connections and applied a minute amount of conductive compound to the sleeve.  The two mics have been trouble free for the short time  since the cleaning.
Two questions, from others' experience, will my cleaning be effective or a short lived repair.  What other quality brands might be more reliable?  The e6 was more than $600 CDN$$.

Thanks for the advice.

Regular ongoing, simple maintenance on E6's has been my MO now for a while. The ear piece and cable connection needs to be periodically but regularly unplugged and plugged back in to keep it clean and noise free. Pretty simple process. Deoxit can help clean up really bad corrosion when necessary. If that doesn't fix it, then sending in to Countryman for repair is the next step. Pretty painless and basically, you usually end up with a brand new E6 for half the price of a new one. I send in E6's all the time. Countryman has excellent customer service.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.