ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expanding Shure wireless mic system  (Read 5267 times)

Shaun Breiland

• Shaun Breiland
Expanding Shure wireless mic system
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, and kind of new to the AVL world, so I really appreciate this forum and all that I've learned so far from the various threads.

I'm looking to expand/upgrade our wireless mic system. We have a whole bunch of Shure ULX handheld and headset mics, with three Shure UA844 Power distribution systems, and two antenna paddles. The distribution systems seem to be maxed out on the number of receivers that can be plugged into them.

My question is - can I add a fourth UA844 system and still just have the two paddles?

Finally, if I were to purchase a single ULX-D digital setup, would it be compatible with the UA844?

Like I said, I'm new to this world, and could use all the advice I can get. Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, and kind of new to the AVL world, so I really appreciate this forum and all that I've learned so far from the various threads.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Expanding Shure wireless mic system
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

I'm looking to expand/upgrade our wireless mic system. We have a whole bunch of Shure ULX handheld and headset mics, with three Shure UA844 Power distribution systems, and two antenna paddles. The distribution systems seem to be maxed out on the number of receivers that can be plugged into them.

My question is - can I add a fourth UA844 system and still just have the two paddles?

Finally, if I were to purchase a single ULX-D digital setup, would it be compatible with the UA844?

Like I said, I'm new to this world, and could use all the advice I can get. Thanks!

How are you currently setup?  Do you have 2 UA844 cascaded off of 1 or are you cascading 1 to 2 to 3?  The Shure documentation shows that you can cascade one level deep which would leave you with a possible 16 channels of receiver using 5 UA844.

As to ULXD with the UA844 as long as your microphone system is in the same frequency range as the UA844 then it will work.  If you buy a multichannel ULXD (ULXD4D, ULXD4Q) it's important to know that the cascade outputs are frequency filtered.

With as many channels as you have you had better be doing frequency coordination and make sure you buy new systems that will work with your existing ones.  Make sure you're taking into consideration any other sources in the mix as well - IEMS, radios, TV stations, etc.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Hi Shaun,

(First disclaimer: I am a Shure dealer.)

I am assuming that with three UA844 systems, you have 10 channels of wireless; two going in to that top level UA844, and the other 8 going into the other two UA844s, and those going into the remaining two ports on the top level UA844.

At this point, you can add another UA844+SWB, and use that to patch into the top level UA844, and add more wireless receivers to that. Something to note: The original UA844SWB has been upgraded to the UA844+SWB - the PLUS model adds cascade out ports. So, in purchasing one of those, I would place it as the top-level unit, so you have 5 connection points to it (the four regular channels plus the cascade ports), giving you a larger total system potential. Then you could have the third UA844 sitting down from the UA844+ and add more receivers to it. (So, you could have your 9th and 10th channel of ULX direct into the top level UA844+SWB, and have that third UA844 that could accommodate up to 4 connections to ULXD.)

Let me know if you need any more help designing this system- I'd be happy to help you out!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.