ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Church sound sytem intermittently "muting"?  (Read 27035 times)

Johannes Halvorsen

Re: Church sound sytem intermittently "muting"?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »

If you rule out heat protection in the amps I would look into your power. I've had sound equipment act up all weird like, only to find after an extensive fault searching session that the voltage in the wall outlet was only 70V... Plugging into a good outlet with 230V (I live in Europe, we have REAL power in our walls...) and the problems vanished.

Heating, hot water heaters, AC etc. could screw up your voltage if there's something wrong.

...but check the temp overload protection first.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »

Is the Mixer or the Sabine unit on a UPS?  Could there be a temporary power drop triggered by, say a coffee urn or other electrical device elsewhere in the building?  Similar questions around the HVAC system.  Does the muting occur whether the building is full of members during service or empty for rehearsals?  Just raising a few other possibilities to look into..
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »

The system mutes totally at random, with and without instruments and or vocals, sometimes briefly and sometimes for an extended period. it has muted for as long as thirty-ish minutes on a couple of instances. I don't know if it is related but when it mutes I always attenuate the levels on the mixer because when it comes back on it is usually LOUD if I don't adjust it before.

So if your using the system and everything is working good up to the moment it cuts out if you touch nothing else at that point when the system comes back to life it is louder than it was before it cut out/muted?

Have you tried the ole fashioned tapping on the various pieces of equipment and moving cables around to see it that brings it back.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »

If you rule out heat protection in the amps I would look into your power. I've had sound equipment act up all weird like, only to find after an extensive fault searching session that the voltage in the wall outlet was only 70V... Plugging into a good outlet with 230V (I live in Europe, we have REAL power in our walls...) and the problems vanished.

Heating, hot water heaters, AC etc. could screw up your voltage if there's something wrong.

...but check the temp overload protection first.

If you do find that you have extreme voltage swings, either below 110 volts or above 125 volts, the culprit may be a faulty connection on the neutral wire supplying an electrical breaker panel.

(The reason why is too complex for me to type on my phone.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Billy Snody

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »

It comes back at normal volume but it is abrupt and just seems loud phsycoacoustically. I have fiddled with cables and tickled sliders and buttons but the only thing that I have done that was probably a coincidence was banging on the audio rack at the bottom by the amps when I was on the floor trying to see if I could will the thing back into service.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:37:22 PM by Billy Snody »

Billy Snody

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 09:33:33 PM »

All of the circuits in our sound booth ( 2 Breakers) according to our breaker boxes are supposed to be separate from everything else. I guess I need to get one of those circuit chaser kits, Fox and Hound I think they call it, and do some verification on those outlets.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »

It comes back at normal volume but it is abrupt and just seems loud phsycoacoustically. I have fiddled with cables and tickled sliders and buttons but the only thing that I have done that was probably a coincidence was banging on the audio rack at the bottom by the amps when I was on the floor trying to see if I could will the thing back into service.

Sometimes it a takes a good rap on a piece of equipment to get it to act up!

Did you have the muting problem today?

Try using either the left or right outputs on the board to feed the system, there is a recessed mono out source select switch on the right above the mono out fader, maybe try cycling that switch a few times.
The ribbon cable in the mixer may need to be re-seated.

Billy Snody

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »

We do have a coffee urn in our foyer, although according to the labeling in our breaker boxes, our sound booth circuits are on a separate breaker. We do not have a UPS on our system. I may look into getting one once I figure out what is creating our issue and correct it if funds allow.

Billy Snody

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »

Yes sir, it happened once today. It was about a minute long. I did lose signal lamps on the amp but saw no other indicators that lead me anywhere. I usually am working the power point instead of the sound board but saw no other indicators that suggested anything.

Billy Snody

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »

You are welcome to elaborate in an email if you would prefer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.