ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church sound sytem intermittently "muting"?  (Read 27255 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Church sound sytem intermittently "muting"?
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »

The professionals I brought in from DFW gave us a proposal for a BLU 100, install, tuning our room/system and some training at a little over $5k. I do like the 12/8 I/O setup of the blu100 and flexibility of the 160, I even like the 4/8 I/O of the 4820 but I am suffering a bit on the software for the BSS. Steep learning curve, but if I can figure it out it just may be a solid option as most all of the other dps's I look at are only 2 channel in and they apply configurations to paired outputs. If you have any other suggestions I am open to them.
Thanks.

This is much more than an issue of learning the software.  There is the entire aspect of how to properly setup the DSP for what you need it to accomplish.  This takes someone with experience in order to get a job well done.
That said, I certainly encourage you to learn the software but you also have to learn system design on the electronic level, not just in plugging components together.  There are reasons to place compressors both before and after EQ blocks, all depending on what you are trying to achieve.  There are reasons to use limiters inside of a crossover or reasons to use them stand alone at another point in the signal chain, etc., etc.

Hire someone who is willing to let you watch and learn but understand that if you change programming and it causes a problem that they need to return to correct, it will cost a service call.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Billy Snody

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »

So I guess I go back to my question of how to properly eq the system, start on monitors or house or all at the same time. Any tips appreciated. We don't have a mega budget to do this on so I am still going to at least try to conquer the situation as best I can.

Billy Snody

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »

Well a new venu360 is on the way. Could anyone point me to where I might figure out where to position the rta mic as our speakers are about 17 feet in the air, all three mounted together in sort of a fan or splayed arrangement.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »

Well a new venu360 is on the way. Could anyone point me to where I might figure out where to position the rta mic as our speakers are about 17 feet in the air, all three mounted together in sort of a fan or splayed arrangement.

Leave it in the box (the RTA) mic.  The money you spent on it should have gone towards a professional to set it up.

With all due respect we can give you tips but when you start asking about tuning monitors and mains at the same time (not even sure how the processor effects the monitors) it demonstrates you don't have the experience to do the job.  It's not a following instructions.  It takes years of experience to properly gain stage and tune a system.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Billy Snody

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2017, 05:09:51 PM »

Leave it in the box (the RTA) mic.  The money you spent on it should have gone towards a professional to set it up.

With all due respect we can give you tips but when you start asking about tuning monitors and mains at the same time (not even sure how the processor effects the monitors) it demonstrates you don't have the experience to do the job.  It's not a following instructions.  It takes years of experience to properly gain stage and tune a system.
I was planning to run aux 1 to input 1, aux 2 to input 2, and "M" to input three. this would eliminate both external geq's which would clear up my guessing at a correct input trim on the old peavey that has no meter or lights to tell me where my gain level is. In addition it would free up some slots so I can put our wireless mic units on a shelf in the rack and clean up some wiring. Thanks for the criticism though. I do realize I am not a pro at this. I also realize our church is on a very small budget and that no one objected when I volunteered to try to tackle the situation. I also know that Christ is the only deity deserving of the name AWESOME. Considering what he did for all mankind if they would just receive it, I figure serving Him by serving my church deserves every effort I have. God Bless you all and thanks for your help!
Billy.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »

I was planning to run aux 1 to input 1, aux 2 to input 2, and "M" to input three. this would eliminate both external geq's which would clear up my guessing at a correct input trim on the old peavey that has no meter or lights to tell me where my gain level is. In addition it would free up some slots so I can put our wireless mic units on a shelf in the rack and clean up some wiring. Thanks for the criticism though. I do realize I am not a pro at this. I also realize our church is on a very small budget and that no one objected when I volunteered to try to tackle the situation. I also know that Christ is the only deity deserving of the name AWESOME. Considering what he did for all mankind if they would just receive it, I figure serving Him by serving my church deserves every effort I have. God Bless you all and thanks for your help!
Billy.

Billy spare the speech, I have been doing HOW audio since 1976 and every bit of politics and budgeting that can be imagined.  I don't volunteer where I worship BTW.

Anyway,  so you mention tuning the mains, if you are using the controller to process three monitor sends then how are the mains involved?

This isn't a personal criticism but a comment based on the reality that a pro could come in and achieve the desired results in short order.  For you to learn at the church's expense is not good stewardship.  There is a great article on why volunteers should not be in charge of purchasing decisions. 

I am sure that your works are very much appreciated, this is not personal nor emotional.  It's fact based.  If you don't have the hard skills you are not doing any favors.  The money you wasted on the measurement mic is a testament to that.  A pro would have had his own mic and auto EQ is mostly a waste of time.

You rarely see volunteer plumbers or HVAC folks at a church but for some reason when it comes to tech it's Katy bar the doors.  That's why the network, phone system, audio and lights are such a disaster at many facilities.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:42:59 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »

You rarely see volunteer plumbers or HVAC folks at a church but for some reason when it comes to tech it's Kary bar the doors.  That's why the network, phone system, audio and lights are such a disaster at many facilities.

When you do see volunteer plumbers/HVAC, even if they do the work professionally in their day jobs, they often take shortcuts because they know they can get away with it, because they want to get out of there quickly since they aren't being paid. (Often subconsciously.)

When you pay them through their company's regular billing process and have the proper inspections where applicable, things might cost more in the short term but in the long term it is cheaper because it's done correctly the first time so repair costs are lower.

That's part of the reason why I never do volunteer work that's the same as my day job. Running it through my company keeps me honest and ensures the customer gets the best possible product/service, and provides the customer a recourse if I screw up.

Just a general observation. Not criticizing anybody in particular.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.