ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Church sound sytem intermittently "muting"?  (Read 27041 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Church sound sytem intermittently "muting"?
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »

I put two new xlr cables from l and r on mixer (m disconnected) into amp inputs, bottomed out all faders and gains, put in a cd with some descent dynamics, slowly dialed in the gains, brought faders up to 0, dialed the amp gains up to a comfortably moderate volume and listened for several hours Saturday with no muting. No muting in today's service either. I believe it may be time to research a new DSP. Thanks again for all the suggestions and encouragement.

Before you 86 the DSP, check the cables you removed.  No stone unturned and all that.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »

That was my gut feeling early on!

As for a DSP look at the DBX 260 or the newer DBX Venue 360.
Both are good DSP's , easy to program. The 360 will let up set it up via an iPad or Android app and make system adjustments from anywhere in the room. You can download the apps and play with them in the offline mode.

Having used the Driverack 260 for many years as my main DSP, I can't recommend it.  There are others (e.g. Xilica) that sound much better.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »

One more thing before replacing geat:

Clean the connections...ALL connections.

The system looks to have been in place and undisturbed for a number of years.  Any XLR's, 1/4" connectors, etc, can oxidize and suffer diminished connectivity.  Some De-oxit, small nylon brushes and a .25 caliber bore cleaning brush (1/4" jacks) is all you need.

An oxidized connector could well yield the problem you describe as muting.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Billy Snody

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »

That was my gut feeling early on!

As for a DSP look at the DBX 260 or the newer DBX Venue 360.
Both are good DSP's , easy to program. The 360 will let up set it up via an iPad or Android app and make system adjustments from anywhere in the room. You can download the apps and play with them in the offline mode.
We currently have three inputs available on our dsp. We were only using one on foh circuit. We have a graphic eq on our monitor circuit. Would it be over kill to run the monitor circuit through a dsp as well and use the other eq elsewhere. Running two amps and the Gigrac from 3 outputs, would it be smart of me to look for more inputs incase we hopefully ad some sub channels in the future?

Billy Snody

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »

ABA just means compare one (A) to another (B) and then back to the first to make sure nothing changed while switching between.

For a mixer test, a simple one will do just to feed music into the system. Just a couple of inputs.

To be clear, amps these days don't care if there are inputs or outputs connected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
any idea what a qsc core 110f would cost?

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2017, 06:15:34 AM »

any idea what a qsc core 110f would cost?

The Core 110f runs $2,999.00 MSRP. 
Have you had QSYS Training or would you be hiring this out to be changed and programmed? 
QSYS, Soundweb London, BiAmp, etc. are all good DSP systems, each with their own pro's and con's.  Each requires a good deal of training in order to implement effectively.  Each of the manufacturers has good online training classes that are a great starting point but, as with most things technological, that is the starting point.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »

How did you pick the QSC Core series, those are big boy DSP's as are the other models Lee mentioned with lots of programing and control capabilities that I don't think you need to pay for and not use.

The DBX360 I mentioned is a three in / six out DSP. With that you could use an input for mains, an input for monitors and an input for aux fed subs when you add subs to your system.

Billy Snody

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »

How did you pick the QSC Core series, those are big boy DSP's as are the other models Lee mentioned with lots of programing and control capabilities that I don't think you need to pay for and not use.

The DBX360 I mentioned is a three in / six out DSP. With that you could use an input for mains, an input for monitors and an input for aux fed subs when you add subs to your system.
They were just items that came up on some random searches I was doing in case we had to replace our dsp to get our functionality back. I have also had some extremely good conversations with QSC tech support, we have two of their amps,  ( along with folks on this forum) about our amplifiers when I originally dove into this quest.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »

They were just items that came up on some random searches I was doing in case we had to replace our dsp to get our functionality back. I have also had some extremely good conversations with QSC tech support, we have two of their amps,  ( along with folks on this forum) about our amplifiers when I originally dove into this quest.

What is the DSP actually doing? I thought it seemed earlier in this thread that is was basically being used as a distribution amp. That's a pretty expensive DA. If you have someone who can come in and set up the DSP and optimize your system there may be a reason to spend money on a new DSP, but to use it as a DA, not so much.

Mac

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

What is the DSP actually doing? I thought it seemed earlier in this thread that is was basically being used as a distribution amp. That's a pretty expensive DA. If you have someone who can come in and set up the DSP and optimize your system there may be a reason to spend money on a new DSP, but to use it as a DA, not so much.

Mac

To take that further, as it sounded your DSP was set up to do nothing more than act as DA. If indeed that's all that is was doing having a properly set up and optimized DSP for your system may very well bring your system to level it has never operated at before.
You don't need a $3000 DSP to do basic EQ, Limiting and bandpass filtering.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.