ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: In-Ceiling Speaker System  (Read 10406 times)

Timothy Marr

Re: In-Ceiling Speaker System
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »

Yes, that is the speaker that I have.

Timothy Marr

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »

On the receiver I am only using only left and right, which says impedance 6-16 ohms.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:54:10 PM »

Yes, that is the speaker that I have.

The one in the previous post picture or this one?

On the receiver I am only using only left and right, which says impedance 6-16 ohms.

If you hook up two speakers to each output (two to left or two to right), you have violated the 6-16 ohm rating. When combining speakers in this situation, the impedance halves for each doubling of the number of speakers. If you have 3 connected to one output, you have 8/3=2.66 ohm.

Timothy Marr

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »

Sorry this is the speaker I have. The second picture.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »

Sorry this is the speaker I have. The second picture.

I don't know why you get more volume out of the speakers when the selector switch is not in the chain. Maybe it's a bad channel on the selector switch? Some reviews on Amazon point to poor QC.

The receiver you have cannot be used to drive more than 2 speakers at a time. I assume your intention is to drive 10-12 but be able to turn off sections if needed.

You'll either need:
A 6 channel, 4 ohm capable amplifier to drive your existing speakers OR a 70V system that won't reuse any of your existing equipment.

Where are you located?
What will this speaker system be used for? Music playback only? Some speech reinforcement?
There may be a contractor here willing to give you a price to install a system that meets your needs.

Timothy Marr

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »

Is it possible to use a more powerful amp connected to the sound selector, and then connect the sound selector to the speakers.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 11:44:25 PM »

Those three pieces of equipment you have are never going to all work together....ever!

At best you need to get 70 volt step down transformers for each speaker, a true somewhat professional amp that will drive a 70 volt system. Get a stereo amp and wire the speakers into two zones that make sense for your room and use the gain controls on the amp to adjust the volume in each zone.

As has been asked before, what are you going to use the system for, that will kind of determine what your going to need in the way of extra parts and pieces.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:43:54 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 01:36:33 AM »

That was not helpful. How is a dozer going to help? The moderator replied that a Cat D6 is what I need.

The dozer would be used to dispose of the consumer garbage you wasted your church's money on.

Without being here day in and day out those of us that support the critical role audio plays in worship break just a little bit inside every time a post like this comes up.

We know you thought you were doing the right thing but what you did was waste money.

Why don't you ask before you purchase?  That's a low end home receiver, it is not designed for what you are trying to do.  You would be hard pressed to find speakers of less quality than the Pyle's.  If you get more than a few years out of them you are lucky. 

Most important they are the wrong speakers. 

Can you return the equipment?

The advice you received is spot on, at best you need to purchase transformers to couple all of those speakers together.  You also need the correct volume control.  The speaker selector you bought is useless.  The receiver can't drive more than two speakers at a time per output.  There are other limitations that prevent you from using the receiver.  While it has many channels they are designed to reproduce multi-channel effects, not drive concurrent loads.  You can't even break it up into zones. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 02:32:01 AM »

Posting the same question in another thread will not generate different results.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »

Scott's characterization of your purchase as garbage may sound harsh- but for the purpose you purchased it for he is spot on.

If you had come with the budget you had - the amount you spent - and the room description and what you want to do, a reasonable solution could probably had been found.  You've done the equivalent of making a wrong turn down a dead end street.  There is no good way to go forward and get satisfactory results.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.