ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Suggestions?  (Read 2886 times)

Dakota Brown

Lighting Suggestions?
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

Hello! I just took over from the former tech director, and I wanted to see if I could get some suggestions for improving our lights. We want to light up the stage a bit more, especially in the choir section. Is there any better positioning for the current lights? I do have choir members complaining that the lights are too close and too bright.

I have attached pictures to dropbox so you can view my stage --> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s0rx0odth79ped6/AACJKmip_jj9KUM__3uyPZSva?dl=0

I am on a small limited budget for this year, but I will take any and all suggestions. We are just wanting to upgrade our stage.

Our lights are hooked up straight DMX/XLR, hard wired, controlled by an Elation "Operator 192" Controller. I would like to make it easier to change the lights around, if possible (and maybe to control them wirelessly, without having to buy brand new lights.)

Look at the pictures, and i welcome ANY feedback.

Thanks!

David Allred

Re: Lighting Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »

A drum room.  That's funny. 
If the choir members use sheet music, I don't blame them for not wanting spots all over their sheet music after looking up to sing.  Soft downcast lighting.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »

A drum room.  That's funny. 

One of the churches I help out has a very similar setup.  It does not go to the top but sometimes the cover is on depending on the player.

I think these pictures also show you can do a lot with a little.  Some haze and a bit of creativity.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »

Hello! I just took over from the former tech director, and I wanted to see if I could get some suggestions for improving our lights. We want to light up the stage a bit more, especially in the choir section. Is there any better positioning for the current lights? I do have choir members complaining that the lights are too close and too bright.

I have attached pictures to dropbox so you can view my stage --> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s0rx0odth79ped6/AACJKmip_jj9KUM__3uyPZSva?dl=0

I am on a small limited budget for this year, but I will take any and all suggestions. We are just wanting to upgrade our stage.

Our lights are hooked up straight DMX/XLR, hard wired, controlled by an Elation "Operator 192" Controller. I would like to make it easier to change the lights around, if possible (and maybe to control them wirelessly, without having to buy brand new lights.)

Look at the pictures, and i welcome ANY feedback.

Thanks!

That's a pretty low ceiling over the stage. You're front wash lights look to be aimed straight forward, and the spot light looks really bright.

The front wash lights should be aimed so that they are lighting performers at 45 deg angles from each side. Are you using scenes on your board?  They should be pre-programmed to the appropriate brightness and color.

Now notice how nice Scott's photos look with backlighting. The megabar light over the drum kit should be used for backlighting as well. Perhaps even set it to sound activation.

So my suggestions are to move the wash lights, perhaps dim them, dim the spotlight, then add some backlighting and perhaps a hazer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 25 queries.