ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio feed into crèche room  (Read 3041 times)

Traceyadelemartin

Audio feed into crèche room
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »

Hi, we are a very small church (less than 30 people) and have a worship room less than 100 sq feet. We have a small room directly adjacent to the worship room that we want to get a live audio feed into, so that parents can hear the service.
We have tried a simple baby monitor, but the volume on the parent unit isn't loud enough. Without going to the expense and complication of a mixing desk etc, can anyone recommend a simple solution for us! We just need a mic on the lectern with a speaker in the crèche room. We've looked a conference call desk microphones, but not sure how they link to a speaker in the other room.... Any advice?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Audio feed into crèche room
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »

Hi, we are a very small church (less than 30 people) and have a worship room less than 100 sq feet. We have a small room directly adjacent to the worship room that we want to get a live audio feed into, so that parents can hear the service.
We have tried a simple baby monitor, but the volume on the parent unit isn't loud enough. Without going to the expense and complication of a mixing desk etc, can anyone recommend a simple solution for us! We just need a mic on the lectern with a speaker in the crèche room. We've looked a conference call desk microphones, but not sure how they link to a speaker in the other room.... Any advice?

Welcome to the forums!

First of all, I'm going to assume that your worship room is larger than 100sq feet. I mean, my bedroom is larger than that, and I can't get 10 people in here comfortably, let alone 30! But, the size of your worship room doesn't impact this question; I was just wondering. :)

You could easily use a wired mic (think SM58 or similar quality) on a table top stand, on the lectern, and hard wire to a self-powered speaker in the next room. The challenge of not having a mixer inline (or someone watching it) is that if the person speaking moves off-axis, the level may drop, and the volume would drop in the other room. Without someone there to watch that, it might still be difficult for the parents. Having a level attenuator in the other room might be nice, therefore- a quick and easy wall mounted way for them to adjust the volume in that room. Same deal if someone's CRAZY EXCITED-- no compressor, so they'll want to be able to adjust that level as well.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »

Reading between the lines, I assume you have no existing PA system in your worship room.

The least complex, least expensive solution will be a dynamic microphone (such as a Shure SM58, around $99) wired (XLR cable, $20-40) to a small powered speaker that accepts an XLR microphone connection ($150) placed in the auxiliary room. That's going to be a mighty cheap speaker that's probably only suitable for the spoken word in small spaces. You'll also need a stand for the microphone -- don't go cheap on the stand, get a K&M ($60). So you'll probably spend around $300-350 minimum for an adequate system that's suitable for speech only.

If you install this where you currently have no PA system, something interesting will happen. When someone steps up to the lectern, they will see a microphone, and naturally attenuate their voice. It's a common psychological reaction. As a result, you may find that your audience in the worship room has a more difficult time hearing, because the person isn't speaking as loudly as they would if there were no microphone! The end result is that you find you need to install a PA system in your worship room.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:45:19 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.