ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I want a PoE capable switch for Dante?  (Read 8400 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Do I want a PoE capable switch for Dante?
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »

Looking into buying an inexpensive 8 port switch to use for Dante stuff when I am out of the building. Currently planning to get the Netgear ProSafe GS108T managed switch. But I'm thinking about spending a few extra bucks to get the GS108PE which offers PoE on the first 4 ports.

Is there Dante gear that will run on PoE without having to use a local power supply? Particularly, are there any 8 channel Dante enabled mic preamps that will run on PoE? Is it worth the extra $30 for the PoE?

The Smaart guys have started using the GS108T in their classes to distribute the measurement signals to everyone in their class, so I know that this model line works well with Dante.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Magnus Högkvist

Re: Do I want a PoE capable switch for Dante?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »

Is there Dante gear that will run on PoE without having to use a local power supply? Particularly, are there any 8 channel Dante enabled mic preamps that will run on PoE? Is it worth the extra $30 for the PoE?

This one has 4 ch.
http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=837

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »

Looking into buying an inexpensive 8 port switch to use for Dante stuff when I am out of the building. Currently planning to get the Netgear ProSafe GS108T managed switch. But I'm thinking about spending a few extra bucks to get the GS108PE which offers PoE on the first 4 ports.

The Smaart guys have started using the GS108T in their classes to distribute the measurement signals to everyone in their class, so I know that this model line works well with Dante.

There are many DANTE devices that can use POE or POE+ for power.  Most that I am aware of are wall plates such as those from Atterotec, RDL and others. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »

These handy little Shure units run on POE.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/microflex-advance/ani4in-audio-network-interface
Those are kind of cute. But dang, they're almost $800.

I'm going back on forth on this one. On the one hand it would be nice to have PoE available and not need it. But on the other, I may never need it as most of the gear that I am likely to plug into will require a local power supply.  :-\
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »

I'm going back on forth on this one. On the one hand it would be nice to have PoE available and not need it. But on the other, I may never need it as most of the gear that I am likely to plug into will require a local power supply.  :-\

You wrote the price difference is $30. To me $30 is worth it to not have to search for a POE injector on a job site when I'm stuck for one.

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »

These also run on POE and DON'T cost $800. http://www.amphenolaudio.com/products/dante/adapter/amphe-dante/. ($199 for two channel)/.   I find these very handy and POE on the switch is much easier to deal with over and injector.

With Audinate's new smaller chip, I think you'll see more products like this. 

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »

Nice to have. System expansions & additions soo easy.
We just completed our first Dante system using 4x Atterotech panels..Blu806...42x CDDLive and very impressed

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 12:16:01 AM »

You're not going to find a decent external POE injector for less than 30 so you might as well put out the extra and get the POE version for future possibilities.  A proper managed switch will allow you to turn off the POE on a per-port basis anyways so you can use it as a regular switch anyways.
And as fast as the AV-IT industry is moving nowadays, the POE will be needed eventually.

I also know it costs a bit more but I recommend as minimum a GS300-10p Cisco unit
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 02:20:32 AM »

I also know it costs a bit more but I recommend as minimum a SG-300-10p Cisco unit

Corrected for you.   I think the SG-300-10P has a dumb power supply.  Its a DIN connector if i recall, (same on the SG-200-08).  The SG-300-10 (no POE) is also a wall wart, so if you want to go the cisco route (i would, as Yamaha has a great setup guide for them) I would use 20+ port models with the IEC power supply.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 02:20:32 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.