ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best music in Nashville?  (Read 7066 times)

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
Best music in Nashville?
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »

So I'm going to have a chance to visit Nashville in March this year. Unfortunately I'm probably only going to be able to be there for about 48 hours.
I need some advice on places to see and things to do.

What are the must attend venues .. I'd love to find some places that have a good offering of independent singer / songwriters / bands.
If those places just happened to serve alcoholic beverages, then that would be even better!!

What about things to do during the day?

Mark

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Best music in Nashville?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »

So I'm going to have a chance to visit Nashville in March this year. Unfortunately I'm probably only going to be able to be there for about 48 hours.
I need some advice on places to see and things to do.

What are the must attend venues .. I'd love to find some places that have a good offering of independent singer / songwriters / bands.
If those places just happened to serve alcoholic beverages, then that would be even better!!

What about things to do during the day?

Bluebird Cafe, Station Inn, The Ryman, 12th and Porter, Mercy Lounge/Cannery Ballroom, Belcourt Taps, maybe City Winery.  There's others, but that's a short list that should get you started.  You might even find something on Printers Alley.

The Nashville Scene is the local arts & entertainment rag.  Worth checking online as you get closer to see what upcoming schedules look like. 

Lower Broadway (5th ave to the river) is a tourist trap - if you're really curious you can do the fly-by in about an hour.  The Country Music HOF is pretty nice and would kill some time during the day.  There's also an Antique Archaeology location if that's your thing.

Food
Coffee: Crema, Fido, Frothy Monkey, Bongo Java
Breakfast: Yeast Nashville, Biscuit Love, Pancake Pantry, or Loveless Cafe (if you feel like taking a drive)
Lunch: Peg Leg Porker, Arnold's, San Antonio Taco Co (SATCo), the Farmer's Market
Hot Chicken: Prince's, Hattie B's
Dinner + Beverages: Fat Bottom Brewery, The Pharmacy, 12 South Taproom

This is just scratching the surface - the food/beverage scene in Nashville has exploded in the last 5 years.  There are also a LOT of microbreweries/brew pubs around the area - some have food, some just have food trucks outside.

Not a comprehensive list by any means, but this should get you started.

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »

Wow .. that was a far better response than I had any right to expect .. thanks heaps!!

Bluebird Cafe, Station Inn, The Ryman, 12th and Porter, Mercy Lounge/Cannery Ballroom, Belcourt Taps, maybe City Winery.  There's others, but that's a short list that should get you started.  You might even find something on Printers Alley.

The Nashville Scene is the local arts & entertainment rag.  Worth checking online as you get closer to see what upcoming schedules look like. 

Lower Broadway (5th ave to the river) is a tourist trap - if you're really curious you can do the fly-by in about an hour.  The Country Music HOF is pretty nice and would kill some time during the day.  There's also an Antique Archaeology location if that's your thing.

Food
Coffee: Crema, Fido, Frothy Monkey, Bongo Java
Breakfast: Yeast Nashville, Biscuit Love, Pancake Pantry, or Loveless Cafe (if you feel like taking a drive)
Lunch: Peg Leg Porker, Arnold's, San Antonio Taco Co (SATCo), the Farmer's Market
Hot Chicken: Prince's, Hattie B's
Dinner + Beverages: Fat Bottom Brewery, The Pharmacy, 12 South Taproom

This is just scratching the surface - the food/beverage scene in Nashville has exploded in the last 5 years.  There are also a LOT of microbreweries/brew pubs around the area - some have food, some just have food trucks outside.

Not a comprehensive list by any means, but this should get you started.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »

I second the recommendation for the Ryman tour.

Broadway is great for people watching.  Not so great if you don't like (drunken) crowds.  That said, we had a great time at Layla's in October, watching Lillie Mae and Scarlett Rische play with Memiss Jones (under the name "Yesterday's Makeup").  Fun stuff!

Dave

P.S.  Are you into vintage guitars at all?
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:41:50 AM »

+1 on the Ryman and the alleyway to Tootsie's and its history. That, and the film and video displays at the hall of fame. I saw some Hank Garland / Patsy Cline TV clips that had me mesmerized. I think lower Broadway is essential, as cheesy as it is.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

Agree with Woody that Broadway is a must and a quick trip up the hill to Printers Alley just to see the history won't hurt. After being in downtown a few times now myself it seems to me the earlier you go to Broadway (3pm) you will get to see some of the local "original" artists. Around 6pm they start to push the cover bands for the tourists looking to party.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 10:57:23 AM »

Taking a different-non musical approach-the Parthenon is an interesting place to visit.

It is a life size replica.  The doors inside are MASSIVE

http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Parthenon.aspx
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »

+1 to printer's alley, but just find a dive and there will surely be music.

Lots of musos per square mile.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »

As the old saying goes:

If you think you are good guitar player-just ask the cook at the waffle house to play a little for you and you may be embarrassed.

A lot of people go there because they think they can "make it", but quickly realize how many other better players there are in the area.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »

Taking a different-non musical approach-the Parthenon is an interesting place to visit.

It is a life size replica.  The doors inside are MASSIVE

http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Parthenon.aspx

Trying not to sound like a snob, but I've been to the real one in athens and it is something that really needs to be experienced with its full ensemble, which includes the walk up the hill to get to it in the first place.  My grandfather did it with a prosthetic leg, and I gained so much more respect for him after I did the climb with my mid 20s, able-bodied legs.  The view from the Acropolis is stunning, giving way to athens in every direction, looking onto the agoras, amphitheaters, olympic stadium, and kerameikos, and then finally out to the sea.

While hte replica might be done very well, I don't think the flat green surroundings of nashville might do it justice. It would be like building a replica of the alamo in scotland.  If in nashville, I'd prefer to expereince things not possible anywhere else

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.