ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Chronology of JBL PRX powered speaker series  (Read 15464 times)

Neil Cox

Re: Chronology of JBL PRX powered speaker series
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 05:24:51 AM »

When it comes down to weight/performance, probably the best all round speakers I owned were the PRX612's - even I could lift those onto stands by myself. They weren't as good as the Yamahas  sound wise but boy they were convenient. They were only 34lbs... I sold them because I can't keep them all - LOL.
You might want to consider the DXR series which are very nice too. There is a 10" option there. I own 2 of those and really like them. One gets used regularly as a monitor and has been very reliable with good clarity and surprisingly good low end too. I prefer them to the QSC K10

Hi Debbie, I'm looking online for the PRX612"
I can't seem to find them can you still buy them everywhere I have looked they are no longer available ?

Looking to find them to also finance them but I'm finding PRX612M ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »

I can't seem to find them can you still buy them everywhere I have looked they are no longer available ?

The PRX600 series has been discontinued for several years.  You may be able find a decent set on the used market, but in terms of functionality to the current offerings from EV, JBL, Yamaha etc, you'll be taking a big step backwards, particularly as a primary PA.  And while the 612's are great for what they do, you'll still have the same issue about the low end.  Take another look at the DXR 15's.  I don't own them but there's a lot of acceptance from forum members with them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:19:46 PM by Will Knight »
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

My reference to the PRX612's was to point out that I understand the importance of a very lightweight speaker - and the pRX612 was exactly that!!....it has been the only FOH speaker I have owned that I could lift up onto stands myself.
It is a shame that they switched back to ferrite for the 700 series.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »

My reference to the PRX612's was to point out that I understand the importance of a very lightweight speaker - and the pRX612 was exactly that!!....it has been the only FOH speaker I have owned that I could lift up onto stands myself.

My 615's are equally light weight. That is probably why I use them far more than my SRX boxes.

As noted though, you have to buy them used. I do not think they are a step backwards though, in fact I would rather have my 600 series boxes than the newer 700 or 800 series. I purchased my 615's used but back when they were just moving to the 700 series. I paid $550 each. They are still kicking it, and remain one of my best speaker purchases, in spite of the lousy monitor angle.

Neil, you really should check out the DXR15 that is being recommended. I've used them, and they are great sounding boxes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:02:38 PM by Steve Garris »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »

I really wanted to like the PRX612m better than the DSR112 when I was deciding on my FOH tops.  The PRX612m was SOOOOO light. 

The difference in sound quality was palatable through.  The DSR112 sounds like it is in a different league than the PRX to my ears.

The PRX are a good sounding box though and the 612 was feather light.  As others have stated, I know many bands around my area that have had them for years and years and never had any problems with them at all.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »

I really wanted to like the PRX612m better than the DSR112 when I was deciding on my FOH tops.  The PRX612m was SOOOOO light. 

The difference in sound quality was palatable through.  The DSR112 sounds like it is in a different league than the PRX to my ears.

The PRX are a good sounding box though and the 612 was feather light.  As others have stated, I know many bands around my area that have had them for years and years and never had any problems with them at all.

I think that is exactly what I said Scott when I first got the DSR's - I REALLY didn't want them to be THAT good against my PRX612's (which had been great BTW)... BUT, it is what it is and I decided that quality of sound meant more to me than lightweight speakers...that's just my opinion on comparing the 2.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 11:04:34 PM »

Now that JBL PRX is in it's 4th iteration, what's up with this particular line? Here's my guess based on scouring via google:

• PRX500 (circa 2007): Initial release
  • PRX600 (circa 2010): ?
  • PRX700 (circa 2013): Tried to fix overheating issues and neo price increase, new back panel, new 10 inch model
  • PRX800W (circa 2016): Tried to fix fan noise plus wifi DSP connectivity, discontinued 10 inch model
Anyone know what they tried to fix in the PRX600?

I have used the same PRX 600 system about 50 times a year since they came out, and have never had any overheating issues. I continues to use them with about the same regularity, and have had zero issues with them.

The system is a PRX625 over a pair of PRX618S-XLFs per side, with no additional processing, just the crossover in the sub.

Considering the size/weight/price, I have been pleased with the performance.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Steve Garris

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »

I have used the same PRX 600 system about 50 times a year since they came out, and have never had any overheating issues. I continues to use them with about the same regularity, and have had zero issues with them.

The system is a PRX625 over a pair of PRX618S-XLFs per side, with no additional processing, just the crossover in the sub.

Considering the size/weight/price, I have been pleased with the performance.

I had an outdoor show in the sun last summer, and I was so nervous after reading about overheating that I purchased some clip-on fans for my tops. I used them once, then decided later that I would try my next show without. My ipod for break music overheated and shut down, but I still have never had a 615 overheat.

Steve Garris

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »

I think that is exactly what I said Scott when I first got the DSR's - I REALLY didn't want them to be THAT good against my PRX612's (which had been great BTW)... BUT, it is what it is and I decided that quality of sound meant more to me than lightweight speakers...that's just my opinion on comparing the 2.

I'll probably get bashed for this, but just for fun...

Here I set up my DSR112 and PRX615 side by side. I ran an iPod (bad audio) and played a track from Spotify (worse audio) and simply panned left and right. I'm recording this with an iPhone, so take it for what it's worth. Both cabinets have the knob set at 12 o'clock, and the output gain from the board is the same. The JBL is set to "Main" and the DSR has the both HPF and D-Contour turned off. EQ's are flat across the board.

Personally, this pretty much shows what my ears hear, in that the JBL box is a little more forward in the upper mid and frequency and around 4K. It, of coarse has more bottom end punch being a 15". The Yamaha has a cleaner, more pronounce upper high's, and a more solid lower mid.

I'm pointing the camera at each speaker as I make the switch, starting with the DSR. Sorry, I know this is very unscientific!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZNRxWH3FM&t=72s

Johnny Veres

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »

As I remember, the 500 series was JBL's initial powered version of the MRX5 series and had the serious overheating problem that caused units to just shut down prematurely.  The boxes were enclosed I believe leaving no method for air to circulate and cool the amp.  The sub line was also VERY anemic (518s) - except for the PRX718s which introduced late as part of the 500 series, then quickly withdrawn within about 12 months.  The PRX718s used the same LF driver (2268) as the SRX718S.  An awesome unit and the predecessor to the 618XLF.  Both MRX5/PRX5 had a 70x70 dispersion angle for the HF driver. 

The 600 Series used the same drivers as both the MRX5 and PRX500 but came with the unwieldy wedge angle.  It was introduced to eliminate the PRX500 overheating problem using convection cooling, but still ran very hot to the touch.  The PRX600 also came with a new HF dispersion angle of 90x50.

The 700 series saw about 1/3 power increase (from 1K to 1.5K), a better wedge angle, introduction of fan cooling, a 15" sub (715XLF) and the transition away from Neo and back to Ferrite for the LF drivers.

As noted by Steve, the 800 is simply the addition of the DSP panel and Wifi support, probably to stay aligned with the EV ETX offerings..

That's my 2cts

Does anyone know why they discontinued the 10" version when moving from 700 to 800?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.