ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy ????  (Read 3719 times)

Brian Spini

New guy ????
« on: January 17, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

Hello new here, many questions. Sorry going to be long.
I do a Front Porch Jam at my home place in the country (Outside). Usually 50 people or so. I now use a old EV Tapco stereo 100 powered mixer into 2 crate 100 watt 10" speakers as mains and some no name wedge monitors.
I run 4 mics (3 vocal, 1 instrument), and 1 or 2 acoustic guitars through the mixer.
Drums are not mic'ed, all electric guitars and bass go through their own amplifiers, not mic'ed.
This is just a bunch of us buddies jamming, we may do a barn party or garage jam as well.

I am looking to upgrade my PA, I am looking at a 600 watt powered mixer (Peavey XR8300), I will run it in mono so I can have monitors. I want to make sure I have the right speakers to get the best sound possible. That is where I am confused, the more I read, the more confused. I will have to daisy chain 2 speakers for mains and monitors, only one plug for each amp. I know that makes it 4 ohms. Here is what the specs say:

Peavey 8300- "300W Program into 4 ohms, both channels driven/ 210W RMS into 4 ohms, both channels driven.
215W program into 8 ohms, both channels driven/ 150W RMS into 8 ohms, both channels driven."

OK so What what speakers do I need? 200, 400? 12" or 10" with Horn? I am so confused!
Thank You!
Brian

Brandon Scopel

Re: New guy ????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »

Before anyone can reply, you must change your display name to your first and last name.

Thanks

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »

Before anyone can reply, you must change your display name to your first and last name.

Thanks

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

How much money do you want to spend? 

The speakers are at the end of the chain not the beginning[size=78%].[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]What style of music?  What instruments and how are they mic'd?  Before you by new speakers let's make sure the rest of the system is up to par.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Spini

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »

How much money do you want to spend? 

The speakers are at the end of the chain not the beginning[size=78%].[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]What style of music?  What instruments and how are they mic'd?  Before you by new speakers let's make sure the rest of the system is up to par.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]
$200.00 to $300.00 per speaker. was looking at the Mackie C200 but really don't know.
Peavey XR8300 powered mixer used in mono
3 vocal mic
1 instrument mic for banjo or non electric acoustic guitar
1 maybe 2 electric acoustic guitars going through a direct box then into the Peavey XR8300
Nothing else will be going through the Peavey XR8300
Acoustic drums not mic'ed
Electric bass through its own bass amplifier not going through the Peavey XR8300
Electric guitars going through their own guitar amplifiers, not going through the Peavey XR8300
We play classic country, classic rock (no metal, all clean) some bluegrass.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:29:15 PM by Brian Spini »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »

I respectfully suggest one better quality speaker than two modestly priced speakers, at the budget you have. Put the speaker up on a tripod stand, above head height, and it should be fine.  If that is a viable option for you, that opens a number of choices.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Brian Spini

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »

Here is the "Venue" its a Jam so we have folks from actual bands along with folks who have never played in front of anyone. Its a fun family and friends atmospher, I would just like to get a better vocal sound. The audience is pretty small.
Thanks
https://youtu.be/UXmP2AzMml4
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:11:33 PM by Brian Spini »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »

Figure out your total budget. Not just $200 per speaker.

There are lots of possibilities once we know the total $$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »

I would just like to get a better vocal sound.

"Better" is a very general, open-ended demand of a system.  Do you mean more intelligible vocals?  More accurate reproduction?  Just simply louder?  A good EQ can help even your system out, and that might be enough so long as you've got the ears to use one.  For the price you're looking to spend though for new speakers that'll work well in an outdoor venue...your options are rather limited.  I'd suggest to just keep using what you have until you can afford a better speaker.  I'm a QSC user myself, but some of the Yamaha options are also quite good.  Good luck!

Brian Spini

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »

Ok, thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »

Here is what I would do:

Forget using your powered head to power the mains. On the front of the mixer, take your monitor out and plug it into Power amp 1 input and use both power amps for your monitors.   

Then take your $600 budget and get a single  powered speaker for your mains by using the main out on the front of the mixer.  There are plenty of $600 powered speakers that will put out more sound than you will get from your powered mixer powering two passive speakers.   
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.