ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Review of the JBL PRX812W  (Read 22650 times)

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Review of the JBL PRX812W
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Neil Cox

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise
Thanks Will I still couldn't understand it, need a brain like a scientist to take that in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »

Thanks Will I still couldn't understand it, need a brain like a scientist to take that in

So it might help to see the images together in order to get the 2000 words-worth from them...

White noise (the top pic) has "equal energy per cycle-per-second".  That means kind of an n+1 situation.  As the frequency goes up, so does the level.  You can see this in the top pic beginning at 4kHz.  Contrast that with the pink noise response in the lower pic.

Pink noise as "equal energy per octave."  That means when the electrical pink noise is seen on an RTA it will be nominally "flat", without a rising response as frequency increases.

That said, the white noise and pink noise response is similar in the midrange (500Hz to around 2kHz), but look beginning at 3k15 out to 12kHz or so... that's the difference in the stimulus signal, i.e. white vs. pink.  You can also see it (less dramatically) in the <500Hz response, too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:32:40 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 10:15:34 PM »

Hi Jim, don't mean to be ignorant but can you tell me what white noise is and pink noise ? I maybe getting these New JBL 812w soon and don't understand this graph ? Is that the graphics that the sound waves are at ? I currently have EV ETX 12 p
What would the graph be like with the EV ?
I'm in a Dilemma whether to keep the EV or go for the JBL

To help you better, as I think Tim's response was probably not helpful if you didn't understand the wikipedia explanation.

1 - Do you understand that you are look at a visualization of data in a chart?
2 - Do you know what a frequency is? 
3 - What is your knowledge of the range of audio frequencies?  Do you have a general idea where the fundamental range of common instruments occur?
4 - Do you know the terms amplitude and level, in the construct that they describe the energy output of a device.  To that end are you familiar with exactly what an SPL measurement is (if you are going to use that number to make a purchasing decision it sure pays to understand it)
5 - When you look at this graph is it intuitively obvious to you that this is energy over the range the loudspeaker can reproduce?

A valuable quality of a loudspeaker is linearity or the ability to produce output at the same level across a wide range of frequencies.  This graph allows you to visually acquire a large number of data points (measurements) of sound level at different frequencies.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 10:33:31 PM »

I'm in a Dilemma whether to keep the EV or go for the JBL

Neil,
What was the outcome from your other post concerning the output level of your EV?  Were you able to take the steps suggested?

I don't know how the sound of the EV ETX compares to the PRX.  But that doesn't seem to be the problem?

Neil Cox

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »

Hi Jim, I tested my EV ETX but as for the sound pressure level I couldn't record it as the app I had was just to display the SPL.
Although the good News is as long as I keep my Correct gain structure the EVs don't clip, I set them up in a Warehouse with a rental hire company and they showed me the correct way to operate the mixer. Since then I worked all weekend and they been fine no clipping so it's down to not putting to much gain through the mixer and they operate perfect and keep and eye on them. I listened to the JBL 10"s PRX 700 and loved how light they was and the sound they produced. Also the SRX 812 New ones loved them superb quality. I really want a pair of the 710PRX but their over priced in the U.K. and the stock is running low. Anyone sell them on here ? And ship them as well.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »

Neil,
If you're getting the sound level out, why are you still thinking of changing?

BTW, what is a working mans club?  Looks like bingo is being played.

Neil Cox

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 03:11:45 AM »

Hi Jim, they are to heavy and bulky, and workingmans club was built for miners years ago, it's where older generation go to socialize and play bingo and listen to artist or entertainment

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the way any of the speakers in the $700 and up category sounds. The JBL line is probably one of the more linear options out there in terms of frequency response. In your face or not, application and understanding is king. A monitor is meant to be heard. It does not matter how loud it will get. The best dedicated monitors in the world right now don't actually get that loud by today's standards. The EAW Microwedge, or Martin Le series monitors don't get much louder than 130db. The JBL PRX line as well as many others in the same category will get to around 135db. So volume isn't the problem.

The sound of a monitor to me is subject to two criterion. 1. Can it be heard clearly and 2. Is it stable at the needed SPL level. If it does not meet those two criterion, then it won't matter how loud it gets or how it sounds, because you won't be able to hear it clearly and you won't have a stable system.

Monitors are meant to be heard, not sound pretty. Once you can get the level you need and feedback is not an issue then you can go back and make it sound pretty.

Monitors are meant to bark and be heard, while mains should simply sound good. Most of the modern options in the $700 + range can do both pretty well. The band creates 50% of their own problems that we devote 90% of our efforts trying to fix. Not knowing what to ask for, how to convey their needs, not understanding the science behind issues and or simply not giving a crap, leaves us with a large mound of poop to try and wade through. This is why some bands simply sound better than others. They are just that more dialed in to begin with and create less problems to fix. The less time we spend fixing the issues, the more time we have to make them sound even better.

The speakers are not the problem.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »

Hear hear!

But this is not the issue what we are talking about in this thread.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.