ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Review of the JBL PRX812W  (Read 22649 times)

Neil Cox

Review of the JBL PRX812W
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »

Hi anyone tried these JBL PRX812W out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geert Friedhof

Re: Review of the JBL PRX812W
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

Don't buy speakers with a fan. Ever.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Neil Cox

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »

Don't buy speakers with a fan. Ever.
Hi Geert, I'm going to listen to the JBL PRX812W tomorrow.

Why not by speakers with a Fan these EV ETX have a fan built in to ?

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »

Those tiny fans make a lot of noise, even more after a while, and will fail because no one cleans them, because most of the time they are hard to get to.

It just is not necessary. A well designed active speaker is convection cooled. One less point of failure.

Neil Cox

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »

Those tiny fans make a lot of noise, even more after a while, and will fail because no one cleans them, because most of the time they are hard to get to.

It just is not necessary. A well designed active speaker is convection cooled. One less point of failure.
So what speaker do you recommend then Geert?

It's kind of mind blowing all this it's like a Washing machine with a built in dryer more things on it more problematic it becomes to fail

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »

I already recommended the RCF Art 735 or 745, maybe the Art 732 (12") or HD32.

Those are all very affordable, convection cooled, Pro accepted speakers, in the same pricerange as the ETX. I don't sell anything nor am i affiliated with any brand, but RCF is king in this pricerange. I have 25 years of experience, with all kinds of brands/pricebrackets, ranging from Behringer to d&b. All i know is that some brands make usable tools for almost any situation, and others are one-trick ponies. If you want a relaxed, mellow sound: don't buy JBL. Some would call the sound 'in your face' , i call it screamish, especially the lower MRX and PRX ranges. Good for rock and EDM etc, not so much for singer-song writer or jazz. Same can be said for EV, or almost any other american brand. In my experience almost all European brands sound much ' nicer' to my ears. The germans like a little more highs, but within reason, the english sound a bit darker. The French and the Italians are a bit in between. But all are workable if you stay in the pro speakers. Sadly pro also means pricey. I honestly can't think of a pro speaker in your pricerange with better price/performance ratio than the ones i recommended above.

So there it is: You buy decent speakers one can buy for about 1000-1200 pounds a piece, or you have to make the jump to about 2500 pounds and above to get a significant better sound. There's nothing sensible in between.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:18:03 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Neil Cox

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »

I already recommended the RCF Art 735 or 745, maybe the Art 732 (12") or HD32.

Those are all very affordable, convection cooled, Pro accepted speakers, in the same pricerange as the ETX. I don't sell anything nor am i affiliated with any brand, but RCF is king in this pricerange. I have 25 years of experience, with all kinds of brands/pricebrackets, ranging from Behringer to d&b. All i know is that some brands make usable tools for almost any situation, and others are one-trick ponies. If you want a relaxed, mellow sound: don't buy JBL. Some would call the sound 'in your face' , i call it screamish, especially the lower MRX and PRX ranges. Good for rock and EDM etc, not so much for singer-song writer or jazz. Same can be said for EV, or almost any other american brand. In my experience almost all European brands sound much ' nicer' to my ears. The germans like a little more highs, but within reason, the english sound a bit darker. The French and the Italians are a bit in between. But all are workable if you stay in the pro speakers. Sadly pro also means pricey. I honestly can't think of a pro speaker in your pricerange with better price/performance ratio than the ones i recommended above.

So there it is: You buy decent speakers one can buy for about 1000-1200 pounds a piece, or you have to make the jump to about 2500 pounds and above to get a significant better sound. There's nothing sensible in between.
Thank you Geert, if your on a budget though you have to draw the line somewhere.

I have always used EV. Thank you for you info and advice I'm very grateful. 

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »

I know, and i think 2000 pounds should be enough for what you are trying to do. I for one would be perfectly happy to mix over a pair of 735/745, for small(er) gigs. I've been all over Europe, with a quite famous band. We played several big festivals, but also smaller clubs, when we had the chance. Hell, we just liked to play. So i've worked the big rigs, and the 8-channel (if everything worked) small "PA's". You have to work with the tools you have, but still there is a difference between rubbish and decent speakers/gear.

Neil Cox

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

I know, and i think 2000 pounds should be enough for what you are trying to do. I for one would be perfectly happy to mix over a pair of 735/745, for small(er) gigs. I've been all over Europe, with a quite famous band. We played several big festivals, but also smaller clubs, when we had the chance. Hell, we just liked to play. So i've worked the big rigs, and the 8-channel (if everything worked) small "PA's". You have to work with the tools you have, but still there is a difference between rubbish and decent speakers/gear.
Sounds Awesome Geert, I can only dream of playing at those venues etc and with a band I love singing but never got to sing with a live band thanks mate for your help I really appreciate it

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.