ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ETX  (Read 26004 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: EV ETX
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »

Pro Tip:

Take your own music with you. Look for vocal clarity, both male and female. Try some jazz, and other acoustic instruments, maybe some chello. Most 15/1 inch speakers do mechanical music quite well, but lack in definition in the critical 1000-2500 Hz, especially when driven hard. That's where the high-driver size comes in. A 3 or 4 inch driver will reproduce from about 800 Hz, where a 1.75 inch starts at 1700-2000, A 15 inch, which you will need to get the bottom end, can't reproduce above 1000 Hz very well, because of the mass of the conus.

PS: Don't buy before you can try them once or twice on stage.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »

You keep saying the ETX speakers are not "loud" enough vs your previous set.  Yet you haven't told us the size of the clubs you perform in, average number of people or more importantly what other activity / noise that's going on at these clubs while you're performing which triggers your need to continually adjust / increase the volume during the course of the evening. 

Loud is relative and very subjective. What may be loud to some, could be ear piercing to another ...or "just right" for others.

If you can, download one of the SPL meter apps from iTunes and take some measurements 1m and 3m away from the speakers. That will help give a starting point on "how loud" your system is.

Also as mentioned by others already, going from a 15 to a 12 and expecting the same level of output and "warm sound" may be a bit unrealistic in terms of expectations.  And while I'm by no means a sound expert and have never used EV gear, the 12 and 15's I own and have used extensively (JBL) clearly reflect a distinct difference in sound all else being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Neil Cox

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »

I've never experienced the EXT-12 but I owned ETX-35s for a couple of years and never had any issues getting enough volume out of them and never saw the limit lights ever.  I usally ran my input and output gains at zero and that put the faders on the mixer in my comfort zone, generally between -5db and 0 for an outdoor show.

I realize these are much smaller speakers but I have hard time buying that the EXT-12 under performs the 35s that much.  I have to believe there is too much/too low bass on the backing tracks.  Sicne your baord doesn't have one, are you setting your HPF on your mains or letting tit run full range with no low end trim?
Hi Scot thank you for your reply and information.

My mixer is DYNACORD CMS 600 3 I don't think it as The High PASS Filter on this model? My backing tracks are quality I don't use rubbish neither. I also know how to run the pa. I use the Trim or gain sane thing on the mixer yeah I have to cause I won't get the volume otherwise. Yeah I'm also setting the PFL on my channels so they won't over clip on the mixer. It's only when I require more volume they start to clip the speakers.

Neil Cox

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »

You keep saying the ETX speakers are not "loud" enough vs your previous set.  Yet you haven't told us the size of the clubs you perform in, average number of people or more importantly what other activity / noise that's going on at these clubs while you're performing which triggers your need to continually adjust / increase the volume during the course of the evening. 

Loud is relative and very subjective. What may be loud to some, could be ear piercing to another ...or "just right" for others.

If you can, download one of the SPL meter apps from iTunes and take some measurements 1m and 3m away from the speakers. That will help give a starting point on "how loud" your system is.

Also as mentioned by others already, going from a 15 to a 12 and expecting the same level of output and "warm sound" may be a bit unrealistic in terms of expectations.  And while I'm by no means a sound expert and have never used EV gear, the 12 and 15's I own and have used extensively (JBL) clearly reflect a distinct difference in sound all else being equal.

Hi Will thank you for your help I just downloaded a SPL from iTunes now so will test it tomorrow at shop when I set the speakers up. I will attach some videos of recent gig last weekend size of room etc

Neil Cox

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »

Pro Tip:

Take your own music with you. Look for vocal clarity, both male and female. Try some jazz, and other acoustic instruments, maybe some chello. Most 15/1 inch speakers do mechanical music quite well, but lack in definition in the critical 1000-2500 Hz, especially when driven hard. That's where the high-driver size comes in. A 3 or 4 inch driver will reproduce from about 800 Hz, where a 1.75 inch starts at 1700-2000, A 15 inch, which you will need to get the bottom end, can't reproduce above 1000 Hz very well, because of the mass of the conus.

PS: Don't buy before you can try them once or twice on stage.
Thank you Geert,

Neil Cox

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »

Hi Will thank you for your help I just downloaded a SPL from iTunes now so will test it tomorrow at shop when I set the speakers up. I will attach some videos of recent gig last weekend size of room etc

Attaching more Photos and videos so don't go crazy where I have my gains set. They are there to get the sound level that I need to be comfortable to sing with.

Yes you'll notice the mixer is clipping but that's cause I have had to open the gain or trim on the channel to get more sound.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »

Maybe you can have a look at RCF ART 735 or 745? 15 inch woofer, with a big driver: best of both worlds, and affordable. They are a bit big though...

I use the 745A every week as my main FOH speaker. They can get stupid loud. They also handle a fair amount of low end. We've done a few "full band" private events with no subs in rooms that were already boomy to begin with.

Still, there has to be something going on. Even if slightly less than your ZX5 output and quality, it shouldn't be the night and day difference and thermal issues you're describing.

Neil Cox

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »

I use the 745A every week as my main FOH speaker. They can get stupid loud. They also handle a fair amount of low end. We've done a few "full band" private events with no subs in rooms that were already boomy to begin with.

Still, there has to be something going on. Even if slightly less than your ZX5 output and quality, it shouldn't be the night and day difference and thermal issues you're describing.
Hi Sean, yeah I fully agree that's why I joined this forum to get expert advice and learn from you guys and respect anyone who want to offer me help. I'm no novice to sound I was a DJ for 11 years mobile and I never liked a ear piercing sound I like clarity and more of a warm sound.

I always keep my sound levels to a nice warm sound than a uncontrollable noise blasting in your face sound. I always watch the audience to see if the sound is comfortable for them.

Always ask them to.

Neil Cox

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »

I uploaded some videos please ignore my singing I'm full up with rotten cold.
Still show goes on.

Don't help when you lost confidence in your PA neither this was a real small room not many in there it was a very quiet night.

I had about 30 people in this room max and it's a workingman's club. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »

I run ETX outdoors in the Australian summer sun.  They are loud enough and don't quit in the sun for me.

Something is wrong in your setup, or your speaker is faulty.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.