ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ETX  (Read 26666 times)

Neil Cox

EV ETX
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:39 PM »

Please bare with me guys this is quite a long email but I'm struggling to come to terms with paying £2000. A pair of EV ETX 12p

Question why does EV have a Master Volume control on the DSP that goes to +11 if they say your to operate this on 0db?

Also gain Structure when you cant get any more volume out of your speakers to reach the Audience at the rear of a Workingmans Hall without having to clip the speakers causing the limiters to work and also the temp light to come on? Please help where my going wrong ?

I have a Dynacord Cms 600 mark 3 mixer unpowered.
EV ETX 12p Active speakers EVs Flagship model.

New Years Eve last Year 2016 I had purchased my new pa above.

Also run a Sonic BBE Maximizer 88i.

I'm having problems with not getting enough power or volume from a speaker that's 2000 Watt
Reason I upgraded was I was carrying far to much gear for a soloist singer.
My old PA for past 10 years Was EV ZX5 awesome speakers!!!

Passive and powered with Crown XTI 4000 Amp
I recently last year upgraded part Ex my old Equipment for my New

EV ETX 12p Acive with a DYNACORD Cms 600 mark 3 mixer Unpowered.

I've only had my New pa since November last Year.
New Years Eve I was performing on stage when my sound dipped and sounded like a screaming cat.
I went around the rear of the speakers and checked to see what was wrong ?
I noticed the Temp light came on and the lights was flashing clipping!!
So I cut back on my mixer on my Gains on my Microphone and my sound Backing Tracks, but the sound was to quiet by doing this.

Luckily it was the end of the night and I'd brought in the New Year 2017,
When I just put it down to room being warm etc.

Although recently it's happening all time in the around half of my set,

So I contacted the dealer I bought equipment of and he said to bring it to his house now in Wales uk
Lol living rooms are small places to check out a PA system like this, anyway we set the gain structure on the speakers to 0db and I've ne we turned them up at all although they do go to + 11 which don't make sense? Cause EV say to correctly run them on 0db lol.

So we did that and drove the speakers both on top of each other to try get them to clip!!
They wouldn't clip, we did this for 20 minutes or so, then I said my gig was two x 45 mins slots

Plus I'm singing through these speakers not just playing music, anyway we gave up and he said take them away try them out this weekend if they clip we look into getting them seen,
Yes they are still clipping I can't get no more volume out of them once I have done my PFL settings on the microphone channel & the music source channel iPad, I have no where else for the sliders to go once they reach 0db on my mixer that's it unless I start to turn up the gain, to which im back to square 1 the signal is to hot then for the speaker signal causing speaker to clip ??

I personally don't know where to go from here as there is no way they are 2000 watt amplifiers ??
So with my mixer set on 0db on the master slider..... Then my Channel sliders set same 0db it only leaves me to alter the gain leaving me with my speakers clipping as I'm getting the signal to hot
So paying £2000 for a system EV ETX I personally think they ain't fit for purpose ?
Unless anyone can help out here ? I've contacted EV I'm
Awaiting their reply. They rep was as much use as a ashtray on a motorbike.

What do I do do I crank the Volume Master control up on the Speakers then work of the mixer ?

I'm completely at a loss, my dealer wants extra £300 to replace them to cover the Vat that I have already paid out on these lol.

Can anyone help please?

Why does These EV ETX Have a Master Volume on there that goes to + 11 but you can't turn it up ??

Only way I get a loud sound is by giving the channels extra gain then the speaker is clipping could this be a faulty limiter or something not working correctly in the speaker ??

Please help guys

Thank you in advance A unhappy Welsh man

Solo Artist 12 Years

I also tried this without the Sonic Maximiser

No change 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesseweiss

Re: EV ETX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »

I'm confused as to why you think the master volume should always be at 0 db. You set it at zero while you set the input gain level for each input. Once you have that set, you turn up the master volume.

At least that's how I run my zlx.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »

The "volume" knob is just an attenuator for the input of the amplifier. It's capable of clipping on "1" or "11" depending on how hot the signal feeding it is. Ideally you'd set the speaker "volume" to clip at the same time your mixer clips. In the most simple terms though, if it's clipping and not loud enough then you don't have enough rig for the gig.

If I had to guess I'd wonder if you are boosting the bass on your backing tracks. The BBE can also add bass processing that can suck the headroom right out of your speakers. What DSP settings are you using on the speaker?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »

Is English your first language?  Your post is very close to incomprehensible.

The ETX's are fine speakers.  You are probably asking too much of them.  Toss the maximizer in the trash.

You probably need the subwoofers to go with these speakers.

As others have pointed out not sure you understand gain structure.  You use the input gains to match the signal you are sending.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Neil Cox

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:04:49 AM »

The "volume" knob is just an attenuator for the input of the amplifier. It's capable of clipping on "1" or "11" depending on how hot the signal feeding it is. Ideally you'd set the speaker "volume" to clip at the same time your mixer clips. In the most simple terms though, if it's clipping and not loud enough then you don't have enough rig for the gig.

If I had to guess I'd wonder if you are boosting the bass on your backing tracks. The BBE can also add bass processing that can suck the headroom right out of your speakers. What DSP settings are you using on the speaker?

Hi Sean, thank you for you feedback and advice. The BBE I run on 9 o'clock on both base and high frequency.

The DSP settings I'm using Live and Volume on the Master of the speaker just using 0db I don't boost the bass at all tbh after all they are 12" Driver speakers. 

Neil Cox

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 05:12:46 AM »

Is English your first language?  Your post is very close to incomprehensible.

The ETX's are fine speakers.  You are probably asking too much of them.  Toss the maximizer in the trash.

You probably need the subwoofers to go with these speakers.

As others have pointed out not sure you understand gain structure.  You use the input gains to match the signal you are sending.

Hi Scot, thank you for your advice and replying, I had Ev ZX5 speakers for 10 years they coped with any gig I did and room size.
I ran them with Crown amp XTI 4000.
Never had any problem and I was using a DYNACORD mixer CMS unpowered and the Maximiser. Flawless Pa I wish I'd never got rid of it.

As for gain structure I do know how to set the levels and the PFL on each channel.
I'm just very disappointed with a speaker that is supposed to be 2000 watt as no head room at all unless I turn gain up on the channel then causing it to clip.

Thank you for your feedback though very much appreciate it,
I was a Dj 11 years and also I been a singer for 12 years so I know a lot about sound.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »

I had Ev ZX5 speakers for 10 years they coped with any gig I did and room size.

Zx5 is a more efficient speaker than the ETX12p. That's the compromise required when you want the same amount of sound and frequency response out of a smaller speaker.

Just an example: My Zxa1 (800 Watt, 8 inch) speakers don't get nearly as "loud" as my old SxA250 (430 Watt, 15 inch). They both sound good, however.

You need subs.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jay Marr

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »

Zx5 is a more efficient speaker than the ETX12p. That's the compromise required when you want the same amount of sound and frequency response out of a smaller speaker.

Just an example: My Zxa1 (800 Watt, 8 inch) speakers don't get nearly as "loud" as my old SxA250 (430 Watt, 15 inch). They both sound good, however.

You need subs.

As others have stated, you likely need subs.

If your backing tracks have Bass and/or Kick drum....and you have moved from 15" to 12", you are probably trying to pull something out of those 12's that it doesn't have.
I have not used either of those EV's, so that is not based on any experience I have with the speakers....but I also do a fair amount of solo acoustic gigs, and I would not dream of going out with just a pair of 12's if I was expecting any type of loud low end all night.  I always always always bring a 15" sub with me.

Neil Cox

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:24:04 AM »

You need subs.
Hi Mike thank you for your input and advice,

For workingman clubs I do around the Valleys I shouldn't need Subs they are a thing of the past now. I changed my pa so I didn't have to carry so much gear making my job a lot easier.

Clubs are mostly lounges now with the decline in the trade.

Lack of people going to the venues.
Most of the work now is the club lounge.

So to pay almost £2000 for a speaker that is rated 2000 watt I shouldn't need subs. I'm not a Dj.
I'm just a semi pro singer.

Neil Cox

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »

As others have stated, you likely need subs.

If your backing tracks have Bass and/or Kick drum....and you have moved from 15" to 12", you are probably trying to pull something out of those 12's that it doesn't have.
I have not used either of those EV's, so that is not based on any experience I have with the speakers....but I also do a fair amount of solo acoustic gigs, and I would not dream of going out with just a pair of 12's if I was expecting any type of loud low end all night.  I always always always bring a 15" sub with me.

Hi Jay thank you for your feedback and advice.

On buying these speakers at a lot of money and EV saying their 2000 watt etc I really wouldn't require subs. I don't often play in huge clubs mainly lounges now.

I don't need subs mate. I'm not requiring any loud levels neither just a quality sound and to know that I can rely on a Speaker that I paid a lot of money for thinking I'm getting 2000 watt but probably getting 500 RMS.

This as been quite stressful tbh with you I'm probably going to have to go back to my old 15" ZX5 set up.

Thank you Jay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.