ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX GoRack  (Read 5777 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
DBX GoRack
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »

I recently purchased two GoRacks (as they are cheap enough) to use in my party-rental rigs.
These rigs are used primarily for backyard graduation parties, etc. I have put these systems together by purchasing the components used via Craigslist, etc.(example: two Bose 402's, one Bose 502, Crown K1 amp, etc.).  All used, but very functional gear.

The GoRacks are perfect for the application.  One channel for an announcement mic, the other for the kids to plug their phones into (I use a DI box) and adjust the volume.

I like the fact that the GoRack has very few adjustments thus there are fewer things for people to mess with.

Can you mix a band with one...probably not, but, for my application they are excellent.

Small, easy, and inexpensive.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: DBX GoRack
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »

There is an existing thread on this product in the varsity board.  I bought one of these for $24.95 and still have not found any way to get $24.95 worth of utility from it.  Does a good job helping aim the PRX cabs on monitor duty or holding the door open a crack.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »

There is an existing thread on this product in the varsity board.  I bought one of these for $24.95 and still have not found any way to get $24.95 worth of utility from it.  Does a good job helping aim the PRX cabs on monitor duty or holding the door open a crack.

Chrysander,

I read the unit's specs online prior to my purchase thus I knew that it would definitely work for my intended application.

Why did you buy it in the first place?

...just curious....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:03:10 AM by Mike Monte »

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »

...just curious....

"Just curious" was the big reason.  Bought it on a bit of a lark to try it out.  Actually, I tried it as a DI for a laptop or a bass and it was usable as such.  A few minor changes would have made it spectacularly useful.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »

Chrysander,

I read the unit's specs online prior to my purchase thus I knew that it would definitely work for my intended application.

Why did you buy it in the first place?

...just curious....

The specs weren't particularly telling.  I read the "fine" manual and discovered that the EQ was not what I expected from the marketing bullet points.

I didn't buy one at $29.  If it did what I wanted (a better replacement for the Behringer Shark - EQ, delay, dynamics, with 2x2 mixer) I'd have paid $99 just to keep one in my travel bag.

In the Classic LAB® Weogo Reed reports he's used the GoRack and found the EQ presets usable and suggested that, for <$30, it be given an audition.

YMMV, etc.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:20:58 AM »

The specs weren't particularly telling.  I read the "fine" manual and discovered that the EQ was not what I expected from the marketing bullet points.

I didn't buy one at $29.  If it did what I wanted (a better replacement for the Behringer Shark - EQ, delay, dynamics, with 2x2 mixer) I'd have paid $99 just to keep one in my travel bag.

In the Classic LAB® Weogo Reed reports he's used the GoRack and found the EQ presets usable and suggested that, for <$30, it be given an audition.

YMMV, etc.

My reason for purchasing the GR was the fact that I could use it as an interface (a mini-mixer, so to speak) for my old school power amp/passive speaker rental rigs.  The GR will take the place of the mixer that I would normally send out with rental gear for backyard parties (background music ie; phone/ipod/mp3 player hookup).

The only concern that I have is with the "flimsy wired" power supply..... but, since I am the one who delivers, sets up, and strikes the rigs, I'll be sure to be careful.

jesseweiss

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »

I'm wondering if a GoRack would be useful for me for feedback suppression on monitors for when I'm not there setting up the PA for my band.

I have a scene saved on the XR18 which they could use for practice with having to hook up a PC and everything should work fine. My only concern is feedback because of placement of mics/monitors. 2 of the 3 guys are not great with attention to detail with PA stuff.

I was thinking if there was a GoRack between the mixer and each monitor, that could nip it in the bud.  Our mains have feedback suppression in the DSP which works well for what we do.

Thoughts?  I'm getting new monitors, but it's unlikely what ever I get would have feedback suppression in the DSP.

George Herbert

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:26 PM »

I'm wondering if a GoRack would be useful for me for feedback suppression on monitors for when I'm not there setting up the PA for my band.

I have a scene saved on the XR18 which they could use for practice with having to hook up a PC and everything should work fine. My only concern is feedback because of placement of mics/monitors. 2 of the 3 guys are not great with attention to detail with PA stuff.

I was thinking if there was a GoRack between the mixer and each monitor, that could nip it in the bud.  Our mains have feedback suppression in the DSP which works well for what we do.

Thoughts?  I'm getting new monitors, but it's unlikely what ever I get would have feedback suppression in the DSP.

I find the feedback suppression to be really handy.

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »

I bought mine for when I DJ weddings.  It helps when it is time for toast and they like to stand right by the speakers.  It does pretty good with the feedback suppression but of course if they are right up there on the speaker there is a great chance something will come through.  It has also been handy for the ceremony to run the lapel on 1 ch and music on the other.

John Ferreira

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

I find the feedback suppression to be really handy.

If the power goes out even for a moment, you lose all your feedback points instantly... scary if your faders are up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Ferreira

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.