ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: best arena sound...ever!  (Read 15525 times)

Jack Arnott

Re: best arena sound...ever!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:24 AM »

Working in an arena in Shin Yokahama Japan and it by far the best sounding arena I have ever been in!
The gig is playback for a skate show and the local crew hung a bunch of Meyer cabs.
Rig sounds nice but the room is the real star here. :)
Eveywhere I look, there is evidence of a real attention to correct , broad spectrum, acoustic control.
This should be required study for anyone building a large, multipurpose sports facility.

On the other hand,the practice rink?
Well let's just say I could go back today and listen to yesterday's music.
Hard flat surfaces as far as the eye can see. Oh yes, and "snowballs" for speakers. :(

I went to see Adele in St Paul at their Hockey arena, and the sound was great. It seems they put some effort into the building being used for concerts. Hockey is a different feel than basketball, in the promotional aspect, so I can see the difference being a better production with hockey. Ivan could be describing the arena I used to work at for NBA basketball. Gah, it was the worst, and they loved it that way. I was in meetings where they would talk about it. Bottom line was, were people showing up for concerts. They were, so they saw no need in making it a better experience.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »

They need some sort of variable acoustics for different events.  Maybe a fairly damped building with some reflective panels that can be brought out of hiding.  Similar to the things hanging over the orchestra at Davies Symphony Hall.  If done cleverly, together with the hard floor or ice, they can reflect crowd noise at the audience during sporting events ratcheting up the excitement but keeping the level reasonable for the players.

This would be similar to the test theater I've previously described from my days at Dolby where there were roll up packing blankets along the walls (behind cosmetic cloth screens).  You rolled them down for cinema or up in various degrees for speeches or recording.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »

I went to see Adele in St Paul at their Hockey arena, and the sound was great. It seems they put some effort into the building being used for concerts.

Although the firm I was with did not work on that arena, I was in town at the time and can confirm that acoustics were actually considered in design (what a concept!).

Ivan could be describing the arena I used to work at for NBA basketball. Gah, it was the worst, and they loved it that way.

Are you referring to the arena kitty-corner from First Ave?  That one, I did work on (from a Structural Engineering perspective).  I wasn't in any high-level meetings, but recall more emphasis placed upon Multi-use capabilities (and number of seats for each type of event) than on acoustics.  We were instructed to design for hanging loads over one end of the arena only.  The short-sightedness of that became apparent very early on, with several shows "in the round" requiring reevaluation of capacities.

I understand that venue has undergone a couple of facelifts since.  The last time I was there was 7/7/7 - and, the acoustics hadn't yet been improved.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »

The ultimate multi purpose arena /  room would have panels built like the old school bill boards that have multiple vertical vanes turned for each  style event ie
surface 1 reflective = sports
surface 2 diffusion =orchestra/choir
surface 3 absorption = sound reinforcement
mix and match your needs. (patent pending)
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Christian Tepfer

• Klanggestaltung Blog (German)
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »

The ultimate multi purpose arena /  room would have panels built like the old school bill boards that have multiple vertical vanes turned for each  style event ie
surface 1 reflective = sports
surface 2 diffusion =orchestra/choir
surface 3 absorption = sound reinforcement
mix and match your needs. (patent pending)
No sports in there, but a church in nothern Germany comes into my mind.
They treated the walls with adjustable surface 2 <-> surface 3 panels. You can adjust the dryness. Nice.

I don't think you can bring all 3 together. Especially when a sports venue should be "loud", as most of the modern stadiums are (and Camp Nou is especially not, making it a potential concert venue, but a shitty stadium to watch football (some would call it soccer, the game where the ball is played by foot most of the time))
Christian Tepfer
christian at amanya dot de

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »

A sporting event can still be fun and exciting, provide a competitive environment and generate revenue even if the venue isn't "loud".
So if the venue is really "multipurpose" then I would bias the design to music and other events.
I suspect the lack of proper acoustic design, in all kinds of rooms, including restaurants and retail, is a result of "we don't want to spend the money" ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »

I'm not so sure that sports arenas or school gyms are designed to be loud but just are due to lack of any acoustical design and that they are just a large big box full or hard reflective surfaces.
On the other hand I work in a schools auditeria with a stage where they tried to implement an acoustic design by suspending several 4 X 8 sheets of hard reflective fiberglass panels in a semi parabolic reflector shape that wonderfully reflects the room sound back on to the stage!!!

I'm sure that was not a cheap extra when that school was built a few years.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:23:16 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Hyam Sosnow

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »

I went to see Adele in St Paul at their Hockey arena, and the sound was great. It seems they put some effort into the building being used for concerts. Hockey is a different feel than basketball, in the promotional aspect, so I can see the difference being a better production with hockey. Ivan could be describing the arena I used to work at for NBA basketball. Gah, it was the worst, and they loved it that way. I was in meetings where they would talk about it. Bottom line was, were people showing up for concerts. They were, so they saw no need in making it a better experience.

Would that by any chance be the St. Paul Civic Center Arena? Back in 1977 I saw Emerson, Lake & Palmer there, with full symphony orchestra and chorus, and it was without a doubt the best sound I'd ever heard at a rock show in a large arena. (The system was a bunch of Clair S4s).

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 11:40:14 PM »

ALL RIGHTY THEN, I have never run into a situation in which the shoes of the bride dictated the acoustics.

You see new stuff every day----------

I'm working on a project now where I (along with others on the team) managed to convince the building committee to ditch the center aisle and a center staircase to the platform.  It was there ONLY for weddings.  There's another smaller room (500 vs 1100) with a center aisle that's much more suitable for weddings in the church.  People walking up and down an aisle really does a number on virtual pastor video shots.

Speaking of video, I had another church who wouldn't let me put the projector they got in the proper place in the room.  It would have gotten in the way of wedding pictures.  Now it's hung off the front of a balcony with a wall mount and much more susceptible to vibrations.

Can't win 'em all.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »

I think using a acoustic blankets will be my choice.Great design and perfection which suits our choice
Milind,

As noted in the other thread, your Display Name *DOES* need to be your Real, Full Name. Please return to your Profile and update your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name to continue participating in these forums.

Also, you've linked twice now to the same website (different URL, same site). I hope that if you are in any way affiliated with that company, you will disclose such affiliation in compliance with the rules on manufacturer participation. Alternatively, a quick explanation of how you're aware of that company (i.e. "My venue's used them several times and the product has been great!") will alleviate any concerns regarding a potential conflict of interest.

Thanks!

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.