ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft UI16 fault...any ideas?  (Read 25083 times)

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
Soundcraft UI16 fault...any ideas?
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:47:48 PM »

Hi,

I purchased a soundcraft UI16 last May. However, all of a sudden it has developed a fault.

When it is powered up, the green lights above the master section and the blue wifi light flash as they normally due when powering up, but they never go solid. I can connect to the mixer using my ipad as normal, but it is neither passing sound out, or passing phantom power to any microphones. Can you advise any quick solutions please?

Thanks
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Soundcraft UI16 fault...any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »

Hi,

I purchased a soundcraft UI16 last May. However, all of a sudden it has developed a fault.

When it is powered up, the green lights above the master section and the blue wifi light flash as they normally due when powering up, but they never go solid. I can connect to the mixer using my ipad as normal, but it is neither passing sound out, or passing phantom power to any microphones. Can you advise any quick solutions please?

Thanks

Hi Gary,

This "problem" appears to be more common than one would think.  Did you recently do a firmware upgrade?  Or a utilities/system admin password change?  This "fault" most often occurs after either of these actions IF...you do not literally follow the instructions on how long to hold/push the reset button before releasing it.

Suggest you start over by turning the unit off, disconnecting the power supply, wait 10 mins.  Reconnect the PS, then press - and HOLD - the reset button and turn the unit on.  Release the reset after 3 seconds - do not hold it any longer.  The lights will flash for AT LEAST 10 secs, sometimes longer before they stop.  If that does not work the first time around, turn the unit off, wait another 5 mins, then turn it back on - but don't press the reset button the second time around. 

I've owned a Ui16 since 2015 and while it's worked very well for my purposes, this "fault" has periodically surfaced and is more of a "PITA".  I've raised the issue with SC and purportedly it's been fixed in the latest version of the firmware.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »

Hi Gary,

This "problem" appears to be more common than one would think.  Did you recently do a firmware upgrade?  Or a utilities/system admin password change?  This "fault" most often occurs after either of these actions IF...you do not literally follow the instructions on how long to hold/push the reset button before releasing it.

Suggest you start over by turning the unit off, disconnecting the power supply, wait 10 mins.  Reconnect the PS, then press - and HOLD - the reset button and turn the unit on.  Release the reset after 3 seconds - do not hold it any longer.  The lights will flash for AT LEAST 10 secs, sometimes longer before they stop.  If that does not work the first time around, turn the unit off, wait another 5 mins, then turn it back on - but don't press the reset button the second time around. 

I've owned a Ui16 since 2015 and while it's worked very well for my purposes, this "fault" has periodically surfaced and is more of a "PITA".  I've raised the issue with SC and purportedly it's been fixed in the latest version of the firmware.

Hi Will,

Thanks for the reply.
No, this mixer is sitting in a rack in a church and is turned on and off every morning and evening and never touched apart from that. Everything is preset.

Even so, I tried what you suggested and unfortunatly it has not worked. Its still doing the same flashing the blue wifi light and the green lights in the master section.

Its very annoying.....This is the second unit ive installed into different venues, and the second time ive had problems with them.
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »

Its very annoying.....This is the second unit ive installed into different venues, and the second time ive had problems with them.
Think you might have answered your own question - send it back, get a refund, and buy a reliable mixer that works.  Probably an X AIR...

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »

Hi,

Thanks
I have a UI12 and have not had any issues.  I also installed the latest firmware update.  Click on the link and download this firmware update for your device.  Leave it as is and put the zipped folder on a blank USB flash stick.   When you plug the device in you will see USB INSERTED.   Wait a minute or so and then you will see SOFTWARE UPDATE AVAILABLE do you want to update?   CLick YES.   After the update is done it will tell you update is complete.   Shut the unit off for 10 seconds or more and start it back up.
Hope this helps you.
Here is your update
http://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/softwares/ui16-software-v1-0-5763

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »

I have a UI12 and have not had any issues.  I also installed the latest firmware update.  Click on the link and download this firmware update for your device.  Leave it as is and put the zipped folder on a blank USB flash stick.   When you plug the device in you will see USB INSERTED.   Wait a minute or so and then you will see SOFTWARE UPDATE AVAILABLE do you want to update?   CLick YES.   After the update is done it will tell you update is complete.   Shut the unit off for 10 seconds or more and start it back up.
Hope this helps you.
Here is your update
http://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/softwares/ui16-software-v1-0-5763

Further to Stu's advice, if you decide to change the default Admin password, the Ui16 may revert back to flashing lights upon reboot.  If that happens, you should shut down the unit, wait 15 secs, then restart.  If that doesn't work a second time, reflash the firmware as Stu outlined above, reboot and wait until the lights stop flashing after the firmware upgrade.  Then change the Admin password, save and WAIT 1 min before rebooting with the updated password.  Once the unit is restarted, it should revert back to normal operation (flashing stops after 10-15 secs) and you'll be good with the changed password.  As I said earlier, it's a minor PITA but once corrected, the issue should disappear for good. 
It's a repeatable bug, triggered by a unit password change followed by a "quick reboot".

Good Luck

Bill

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »

Think you might have answered your own question - send it back, get a refund, and buy a reliable mixer that works.  Probably an X AIR...
My suggestion as well. With the recent price reduction, you can get a X18 for $450.00.  You will get more inputs, and a bunch of other features as well.  Best of all, it will simply work when you turn it on.

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »

My suggestion as well. With the recent price reduction, you can get a X18 for $450.00.  You will get more inputs, and a bunch of other features as well.  Best of all, it will simply work when you turn it on.

Jumping in as another Ui16 user who has had complaint after complaint. Firmware updates took care of most issues, but then an update to the Chrome browser broke things, only I didn't know the problem was Chrome until after the gig when I did some online research. Works great with nearly every other browser, at least.

I have had my eye on the X18, but also there's news Peavey is putting out their own, and Soundcraft is going to release the Ui24, which they better get right this time - it'll have different pre-amps. So now, I'm in wait-and-see mode as I've learned to cope with the ui16's quirks in the meantime..

I love these mixers, but the tech isn't yet mature...

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »

Jumping in as another Ui16 user who has had complaint after complaint. Firmware updates took care of most issues, but then an update to the Chrome browser broke things, only I didn't know the problem was Chrome until after the gig when I did some online research. Works great with nearly every other browser, at least.

I have had my eye on the X18, but also there's news Peavey is putting out their own, and Soundcraft is going to release the Ui24, which they better get right this time - it'll have different pre-amps. So now, I'm in wait-and-see mode as I've learned to cope with the ui16's quirks in the meantime..

I love these mixers, but the tech isn't yet mature...

I''m going to take a good, long hard look at the Ui24 in the coming weeks before making any decision to move from my Ui16.  Other than the periodic reboot/flash, the Ui16 has served me very well.  No issues on WiFi dropouts or noisy pres.  But the reboot/flash is a PITA.  Since the Ui24 has Studer Pre's, a "new & improved" dual band WiFi and 32C recording, those features are exactly what I'd need & would use the most. Shipping/availability is supposed to be early March but I'm sure some dealers may have advance supplies. 

Parra

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »

Someone pass me a Soundcraft Ui12 unit because is a faulty unit. It presented the same problem described here, with intermittent lights and no sound on the inputs.
I don't have any guarante or sale ticket, so I decide to try anything with no worries on mind for my "free" mixer.
After google the problem, I found this page, tried all the recomendations and test others by my self, I can make the next statements.

1.- Performing a firmware upgrade, reset the network, or even a full reset to a factory initial state, resolve the problem... But only momentarily.
Turn the unit off, wait a seconds, and then turn on... the initial problem is still there.

2.- The best solution I found, is turn quick the power button on and off two or three times. After stay On, the unit run the normal 10 seconds flash lights, and everything works flawless.
But if you turn the unit off, wait a few seconds, and turn it On again, but in this case only one time, the problem is still there.
Yes, always can do the 3 times turn on and off solution to get a operational unit.

I hope helps someone else.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.