ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX800 series, my take  (Read 7860 times)

Mike Sullivan

JBL SRX800 series, my take
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »

I have been debating on the purchase of JBL's SRX800 series for a while for small to medium shows... nobody nearby has had any, until a friend of mine purchased a set for his band, 4 SRX835P and 2 SRX828SP for a jazz style band.  I'm borrowing two tops and the 2 subs for the next week to try out, tomorrow I'm using them with a live band (band is friend of mine's who I also work with on shows) and going to try to find another show to use them on if I can. 

So far, I've used them this evening a bit with some track music, two tops and one sub (the other does not have casters so I didn't want to move it around by myself) but I'm very impressed with the quality so far.  Vocals are nice and warm, and the top end is extremely hi-fi, with adjustments in the higher frequency bands easily noticeable.  Bottom end seems to be very full and heavy, as they say you can never have too much low end.  I'm really intrigued to see how they work tomorrow night.

As far as moving around, they are relatively easy. Subs only weigh about 150-160lbs, so standing them up and turning them off the casters is a breeze, the tops are lightweight as well for what they are, but are a bit bulky due to the size to fit a 15", mids, and horn in.  Considering I work with a band that has older JBL SR-A 3-way tops and they're a lot heavier, it's a welcoming change.  I'm a young guy (at 23) so hiking them on top is easy for me (though my back will hate me later if I do it all the time by myself) but I've done it before with my old QSC KW153's.  When you stack the tops on the subs on end, the stack easily reaches about 7 and a half feet in height, meaning the mids and highs will get over people's heads easily at ground level.  Though you may want to make sure it is perfectly level ground as there are no feet on the ends for such a movement, when I plan to purchase some I'll probably add some feet on each end. 

So far, no complaints, I haven't really played with them much but tomorrow will be the first challenge.  Will report on Saturday (or Sunday)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Steve Garris

Re: JBL SRX800 series, my take
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »

I have been debating on the purchase of JBL's SRX800 series for a while for small to medium shows... nobody nearby has had any, until a friend of mine purchased a set for his band, 4 SRX835P and 2 SRX828SP for a jazz style band.  I'm borrowing two tops and the 2 subs for the next week to try out, tomorrow I'm using them with a live band (band is friend of mine's who I also work with on shows) and going to try to find another show to use them on if I can. 

So far, I've used them this evening a bit with some track music, two tops and one sub (the other does not have casters so I didn't want to move it around by myself) but I'm very impressed with the quality so far.  Vocals are nice and warm, and the top end is extremely hi-fi, with adjustments in the higher frequency bands easily noticeable.  Bottom end seems to be very full and heavy, as they say you can never have too much low end.  I'm really intrigued to see how they work tomorrow night.

As far as moving around, they are relatively easy. Subs only weigh about 150-160lbs, so standing them up and turning them off the casters is a breeze, the tops are lightweight as well for what they are, but are a bit bulky due to the size to fit a 15", mids, and horn in.  Considering I work with a band that has older JBL SR-A 3-way tops and they're a lot heavier, it's a welcoming change.  I'm a young guy (at 23) so hiking them on top is easy for me (though my back will hate me later if I do it all the time by myself) but I've done it before with my old QSC KW153's.  When you stack the tops on the subs on end, the stack easily reaches about 7 and a half feet in height, meaning the mids and highs will get over people's heads easily at ground level.  Though you may want to make sure it is perfectly level ground as there are no feet on the ends for such a movement, when I plan to purchase some I'll probably add some feet on each end. 

So far, no complaints, I haven't really played with them much but tomorrow will be the first challenge.  Will report on Saturday (or Sunday)

I added feet to my SRX818's. I placed them on the side of the cabinet, to aid in moving them around. To place the box in my van requires me to put it on its side. I then lift it by the handle to get it in. I roll them with a hand cart on their sides as well. It was a great upgrade, highly recommended!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »

I added feet to my SRX818's. I placed them on the side of the cabinet, to aid in moving them around. To place the box in my van requires me to put it on its side. I then lift it by the handle to get it in. I roll them with a hand cart on their sides as well. It was a great upgrade, highly recommended!

What size van?  Once we got a large cargo van I hate loading the mini vans.  What you are describing sounds like the torture I put myself through until I got an e350 diesel.

Beyond any speaker, mixer, amplifier or whatever it is the single purchase I can point to that helped move us on that continuum to being a "big boy".   Perhaps we are in training pants at this point.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »

What size van?  Once we got a large cargo van I hate loading the mini vans.  What you are describing sounds like the torture I put myself through until I got an e350 diesel.

Beyond any speaker, mixer, amplifier or whatever it is the single purchase I can point to that helped move us on that continuum to being a "big boy".   Perhaps we are in training pants at this point.

That's a surprise! I've always thought loading a full size van would be more difficult - less doors, higher lifting. I use an old Montana mini van, seats removed and a fairly flat cargo bay with carpet. I love the 2 side doors and hatch back opening. I have been considering a full size van lately, as I have to really load my mini van when I have 6 monitors and lights added to the show. In addition, I do not have room for double 18 sub's, something that I'm planning on adding.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:33:29 AM »

That's a surprise! I've always thought loading a full size van would be more difficult - less doors, higher lifting. I use an old Montana mini van, seats removed and a fairly flat cargo bay with carpet. I love the 2 side doors and hatch back opening. I have been considering a full size van lately, as I have to really load my mini van when I have 6 monitors and lights added to the show. In addition, I do not have room for double 18 sub's, something that I'm planning on adding.

If I am by myself I use a ramp.  If I have one of the helpers I put them inside the van.  It's just the right height for 828's since you can tilt them in. 

I get the side doors are nice but they just seem small to me,  the double doors open up all the way out of the way and just suck the load in.

WRT to six monitors.  I wasn't around the day the Olds Silhouette died.  This was our first van and we got it with 130k miles on it.  We had 6 HPR122's, 2 HPR153's, four KW122's all the cable and mic stands to deal with a 5 piece rock band. 

The guys went over some tracks and the shock towers in the back were rusted and the whole thing came down in one big boom.  They tipped the AAA guy some extra money and showed up to the gig with the van on a flatbed.  Dumped the whole thing in front of the club and the show went on.

We didn't have much class back then.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:28:21 AM »

Scott, the delivery may not have looked classy, but you were a class act to show up and go on with the show!  That's real class!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

For smaller shows I have a regular length Chevy Express, and a Ford Transit on order to replace it in the next month or so.  I use a folding wheelchair ramp to get the gear in the van and will never go back.  I can haul much more than the minivan, and I used a chunk of that capacity to get real cases and workboxes, which made a huge logistical difference.  At a recent show I was told by the venue rep that my van was like a clown car - gear kept coming and coming.

Not sure if your minivan has a bulkhead, but if it doesn't, you're at significant risk for severe injury if you ever get in an accident.

Oh yeah - P.S. JBL SRX800p series boxes are great.

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »

The guys went over some tracks and the shock towers in the back were rusted and the whole thing came down in one big boom.  They tipped the AAA guy some extra money and showed up to the gig with the van on a flatbed.  Dumped the whole thing in front of the club and the show went on.

We didn't have much class back then.

Same kinda dealio, the son and I were on our way to our big outdoor gig at the Mendota Sweet Corn Festival. Engine blew up on I-39 about 8 miles from the gig. The flatbed wrecker came and dropped us off at the back entrance, and we pushed it the rest of the way in, loaded in, and then pushed it back across the street into a vacant parking space. They towed it to the junkyard the next day. We started right on time, and the towing bill was only $80 for an interstate highway rescue.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:51:28 AM by Rick Powell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.