ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Purpose Room thoughts  (Read 9642 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Multi Purpose Room thoughts
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:15:00 AM »

While I want to start off with a nearly ideal system, they will probably end up scaling back until it's just 2 speakers.

I'm thinking a 3 speaker system like this might be simple enough yet still effective to fulfill all of the design requirements adequately.

Basically, there would be '2' modes one that faces the stage (S) and one that faces the projector/TV (W).

BTW, I still can't seem to upload images to the forum directly; been having to use tinypic
BUT MAKE SURE in your setup/switching etc that they CANNOT use all 3 speakers at the same time.

SOMEBODY will want to-so be sure to have a switch or program adjust etc that is "either/or" and NOT "and".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »

BUT MAKE SURE in your setup/switching etc that they CANNOT use all 3 speakers at the same time.

SOMEBODY will want to-so be sure to have a switch or program adjust etc that is "either/or" and NOT "and".

Absolutely, that makes sense.

I'm leaning toward a wall controller for 'volume' and presets.

Because of the 'ceiling walls' (what else do you call them?) I'm still slightly iffy that the '3' speakers will be enough for the further back parts of the room and I'm considering delays.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the matter. I could easily see the system escalating to 6 or 8 speakers, but I don't think the added cost or arrivals would help any.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Absolutely, that makes sense.

I'm leaning toward a wall controller for 'volume' and presets.

Because of the 'ceiling walls' (what else do you call them?) I'm still slightly iffy that the '3' speakers will be enough for the further back parts of the room and I'm considering delays.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the matter. I could easily see the system escalating to 6 or 8 speakers, but I don't think the added cost or arrivals would help any.
Delays get to be real tricky (and expensive) when you want the sound to come from 2 different locations.

Personally I would start with the basic setup-but make sure the customer understands that it might not work well and some delays may be needed.

But they ALSO need to understand that if they want the sound coming from different locations, this will mean even more delays.

They expectations need to match their wallet.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »

Instead of putting the speakers in the corners,
Put the on the center divider firing down and out.
With an A-B switch you could semi isolate either side of the room.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »

Instead of putting the speakers in the corners,
Put the on the center divider firing down and out.
With an A-B switch you could semi isolate either side of the room.

That's not the goal though.

From either position (stage or wall with projector/tv) there should be coverage for the entire room.

Also, there isn't a center divider. There are two dividers dividing the room into thirds.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »

That's not the goal though.

From either position (stage or wall with projector/tv) there should be coverage for the entire room.

Also, there isn't a center divider. There are two dividers dividing the room into thirds.

I think a distributed system (overhead) is by far your best choice for coverage.  Sometimes the Audio Ancients were right... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »

I think a distributed system (overhead) is by far your best choice for coverage.  Sometimes the Audio Ancients were right... ;)

Hmm, I have already designed and almost finished writing the proposal for the client with the previous 'best' idea.

If I were to continue with this thought process of 'ceiling' speakers. How would I attach the speakers to the ceiling and run cables/wire/etc? You see the pitched roof, there isn't attic space to run wires or a drop ceiling to install ceiling speakers.

The only other way I could see would be to put smaller ~5" speakers evenly spaced along the 'wall ceiling dividers' for each section of the room. I think I would still suggest having 2x 12" or 10" mains for the 'stage' area as they have some sort of youth service/event in there.

After adding the adding the additional 6-10 5" speakers @ ~200-400ea the cost would get driven up substantially from an already costly project.

That all said, do you think the benefits are justified?

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »

why not pendant speakers ?
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »

why not pendant speakers ?

Wouldn't the labor involved running conduit along the ceiling to electrical boxes to drop the speakers from cost an absurd amount?

Not to mention the materials, extra speakers, painting, etc.

Also, the pendant speakers would make the room look a whole lot worse than the clean ceilings with recessed lighting.

I'm not trying disregard advice. I'm just trying to ferret out the 'best' (I know that word isn't very descriptive) solution for the client.

Best = a balance between cost, performance, aesthetics, ease of install, & desires.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:13:04 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »

I sent the proposal in for the 2x focal point mode system.

We shall see what the client thinks.

I did stress that additional delays could be needed among other considerations.

I'm pretty proud of it as it is one of my first proposals.

I'm not asking anyone, but i'm a curious feller so if other curious types are out there and want to see, or anyone who is in my posistion (new, not a veteran, but still adequately skilled) seeking more knowledge, I'd be happy to send it via PM.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.