ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Purpose Room thoughts  (Read 9589 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Multi Purpose Room thoughts
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »

I was asked to provide a quote for a church's multi-purpose room.

Room is 72ft long and 42 ft wide with a peaked ceiling and dividing walls that jut down from the ceiling to around 12ft (note the room is NOT divided any more, they took those out.) I'll get a picture up here in a few.

They play videos on a projector on the West wall.
They play videos on a TV in the corner of the SW wall.

They have announcements from the S wall on a short stage.
The room is used for kids playing hillsong young and free type music.
The room is used for adults dinner, small groups, etc.

So both foreground/background music. {I know that's not a spl number, but if I rolled in there with my K12's they'd love it. I'm

They want to walk around and talk on wireless mics.
Play music via Bluetooth from phone
Play the video sound through the system wirelessly (aka body pack)

They want sound throughout the room with no real focal point. Distributed audio system; not stage = source system (even though they have a stage).
All my research has been in aligning systems for a focal point.

I'm thinking now that maybe I should point all 4 speakers toward the center of the room from the corners.

Here's what I have so far:

2x Sennheiser EW 135 G3
1x Sennheiser EW 172 G3-A-US for MP3 playback
1x Radial Engineering BT‑PRO Bluetooth Direct Box
1x Furman sequencer
4x Martin CDD8 (white)
4x Martin CDD8 wall mounts

I'm considering control [Martin/Ashly, or other (I'm open to suggestions)] & amps [I know how the easy stuff watts etc. I'm trying to find most cost effective, amp+dsp or amp&dsp].

A few of my thoughts,

Should I add a CSX212 for extended LF?
Should I change to CDD10/12?

What is typically the cheaper/better option? DSP+Amp(s) or DSP&Amp(s)

Should I use their (Martin's) amps or just go with something similar (Ashly)? [the better question here is; when designing a system do you prefer to pick and choose or stick with same manufacture?]

What are yall's preferences, small mixer (they had one on old, not working system) or DSP with wall controller(s)?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Multi Purpose Room thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »

If you put the speakers in the corners and "fire them in" it could be a big mush of sound.

Some people like that.

That would be your cheapest approach.

A better approach for overall sound quality would be a downfiring system.  But this is going to cost more-especially if they want any decent level out of it.

A "localized" approach would be a simple left/right around the stage, or a center speaker and some out fills.

It comes down to "how important is the non localized issue" and how much are they willing to pay to have that?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »

It comes down to "how important is the non localized issue" and how much are they willing to pay to have that?

Also, what is the motivation for a "non-localized" system? Does someone think there is a need to not localize the sound source?

If it must be non-localized I would think a down firing distributed system is what you are looking for. Traditionally they have fairly low power mediocre sounding speakers, but there is no reason it can't be done with pro quality full range speakers, just calculate the coverage from the speaker coverage angles and the listening height to determine full coverage with minimum overlap. Coverage for standing will require more speakers because of the reduced throw relative to seated listening.

You do not want to put the speakers in the corners of the room firing in for the reasons Ivan stated.

Mac

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »

pics would be a real help
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »

pics would be a real help

Sorry, been prepping for a gig and now at the gig.

Not sure why image didn't work... Trying again.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »

Sorry, been prepping for a gig and now at the gig.

Not sure why image didn't work... Trying again.

My internet is horrible out here, so uploading the image has failed multiple times :(

Anyways, here's the main areas that we could setup a focal point.

I agree, I think distributed sound everywhere is a bad idea.

I kinda had an idea of using three (or more) speakers to shift the focal point depending on where they set up the activities.

I didn't think the 4 speakers was a good idea, but I figured it would work to put sound 'everywhere' in the room.

Anyways, first show went well it's late I'm ready for a nap...

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »

Realized my previous post might not show images on some browsers/mobile. Trying a different way.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:40:19 AM »

Realized my previous post might not show images on some browsers/mobile. Trying a different way.

Those are some weird "tops" to the dividing walls.

They are gong to cause a lot of havoc to any sound hitting them.

I suggest you talk to the "people that be" and find out what is MOST important to them.

THEN approach it from that angle.

It is often best to sell them what they want (as long as it can work) rather than trying to push them a different direction.

Often they will just go somewhere else and get what they want
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »

They 'want' a working sound system that they can hear whatever is going on anywhere in the room.

They want it to be easy to setup, turn-on, and use. Capable of as many purposes as the room is used for.

I asked them do they want a focus point or 'sound everywhere from no apparent direction'. I realize now this was a wrong question as it led them to think that a distributed system was feasible/wise.

I believe they would accept a better approach if I explained it and the reasoning behind it.

On another note, yes the walls are weird, there are 3 of them equally dividing the room. They don't use the dividers anymore as they are removed, but the ceiling walls remain.

Those 'weird' walls might necessitate a delay to keep things consistent front to back.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »

While I want to start off with a nearly ideal system, they will probably end up scaling back until it's just 2 speakers.

I'm thinking a 3 speaker system like this might be simple enough yet still effective to fulfill all of the design requirements adequately.

Basically, there would be '2' modes one that faces the stage (S) and one that faces the projector/TV (W).

BTW, I still can't seem to upload images to the forum directly; been having to use tinypic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.