ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monoprice line-array  (Read 8755 times)

Rick Earl

Monoprice line-array
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:53:38 PM »

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11505&cs_id=1150501&p_id=604926&seq=1&format=2

I expected in-expensive self powered plastic boxes from them, maybe even a combo sub and speaker on a stick for a DJ.  This seems like a big product jump for them, which makes me think they supply more AV installers than it appears on the surface.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Monoprice line-array
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »

From their website

A properly deployed system is comprised of 652 tops and a 12 sub configured in a ratio of 4 to 1. This is optimal for most music presentation and House of Worship applications. Additional bass for high energy rock shows and electronic music can be achieved with more subwoofers ground stacked.

652 tops seems a bit overkill  :o and with their 4-1 sub ratio you need 163 subs, but of course additional bass for "high energy" shows and electronic music can be achieved with more ground stacked subs!
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Rick Earl

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »

From their website

652 tops seems a bit overkill  :o and with their 4-1 sub ratio you need 163 subs, but of course additional bass for "high energy" shows and electronic music can be achieved with more ground stacked subs!

Although that statement  by them is  poorly worded, the model name / number of the top box is a MiniRay 652 and the sub is a MiniRay 12.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:32 AM »

Although that statement  by them is  poorly worded, the model name / number of the top box is a MiniRay 652 and the sub is a MiniRay 12.

I guess my humor fell flat
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »

Pretty "sharp" here Craig...
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Rick Earl

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

My bad, I was tired and just reading, I get it now.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »

From the website:

Small to medium size venues will benefit from is small footprint...

In other words, "because everybody wants a line array."

Line arrays are probably NOT the best solution for "small to medium size venues." My understanding is that line arrays are intended for venues where you are trying to balance SPL (coverage) between those seats near the stage and those hundreds of feet away. In other words, huge venues like stadiums, amphitheaters, and arenas.

Put a line array in your typical bar and you'll be bouncing most of your sound off the back wall. Yeah, that'll sound good.  ::)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

I worked out the numbers some 10 years ago but there's actually a mid sized venue region where the improved HF output of the straight section of a small line makes up for air loss at the back of a coverage area.  Lows couple and behave like a single source.  Only as Ivan would be quick to point out, the mids still blur from non-coupled multiple sources.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

From the website:

In other words, "because everybody wants a line array."

Line arrays are probably NOT the best solution for "small to medium size venues." My understanding is that line arrays are intended for venues where you are trying to balance SPL (coverage) between those seats near the stage and those hundreds of feet away. In other words, huge venues like stadiums, amphitheaters, and arenas.

Put a line array in your typical bar and you'll be bouncing most of your sound off the back wall. Yeah, that'll sound good.  ::)

yep
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »

I worked out the numbers some 10 years ago but there's actually a mid sized venue region where the improved HF output of the straight section of a small line makes up for air loss at the back of a coverage area.  Lows couple and behave like a single source.  Only as Ivan would be quick to point out, the mids still blur from non-coupled multiple sources.
But as soon as the wind blows a little bit it all starts to fall apart.

It is one thing to "assume" that the devices all couple together.

Often REALITY is that they don't behave that way.

Each cabinet is radiating its own wavefront and they interfere with each other.  So the "addition" is not as much as some "simple math" would suggest.

In order for the HFs to "behave" they MUST be designed to work together to provide a SINGLE wavefront, NOT individual sources.  This means that each one in the "array" must be different.  But the top and bottom halves of the array can be a mirror image of each other.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.