ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monoprice line-array  (Read 8835 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Re: Monoprice line-array
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »

From the website:

In other words, "because everybody wants a line array."

Line arrays are probably NOT the best solution for "small to medium size venues." My understanding is that line arrays are intended for venues where you are trying to balance SPL (coverage) between those seats near the stage and those hundreds of feet away. In other words, huge venues like stadiums, amphitheaters, and arenas.

Put a line array in your typical bar and you'll be bouncing most of your sound off the back wall. Yeah, that'll sound good.  ::)

I have installed more than one system where the designer has specified small line arrays (Community Entasys plus subwoofers) where the room wasn't that long, but they wanted the wide coverage pattern of linear array.
The array speakers were "J-curved" and angled down 10 degrees to minimize back wall reflections. Not my first choice, and the Community rep didn't like the idea, but hey I'm just the installer.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »

I have installed more than one system where the designer has specified small line arrays (Community Entasys plus subwoofers) where the room wasn't that long, but they wanted the wide coverage pattern of linear array.
The array speakers were "J-curved" and angled down 10 degrees to minimize back wall reflections. Not my first choice, and the Community rep didn't like the idea, but hey I'm just the installer.

If someone knows and understands exactly what they're doing, I suppose a line array could be successfully deployed in a small venue. Is it the ideal solution for the venue? Well, that's a matter of debate. As Ivan would say, "it depends."

But I'm leaning toward an overgeneralization that nearly all line array (or pseudo line array) deployments in small to medium venues are NOT the ideal solution for those venues.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »

If someone knows and understands exactly what they're doing, I suppose a line array could be successfully deployed in a small venue. Is it the ideal solution for the venue? Well, that's a matter of debate. As Ivan would say, "it depends."

But I'm leaning toward an overgeneralization that nearly all line array (or pseudo line array) deployments in small to medium venues are NOT the ideal solution for those venues.

There are times when a line array is the right answer because of other considerations presented by the venue or client.  I have a couple of them where, in theory, Mackie SRM450 would work but the cost of flying a dozen in a ballroom is greater than the cost of providing and deploying a compact line array system and appropriate fills.

I can put a presenter with a lav mic downstage of the array - almost anywhere in the audience area - with success, and that type of success is what I sell to clients.  They don't care what speaker system I use so long as I meet budget and make it as invisible as possible.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »

I can put a presenter with a lav mic downstage of the array - almost anywhere in the audience area - with success, and that type of success is what I sell to clients.  They don't care what speaker system I use so long as I meet budget and make it as invisible as possible.

Cool stuff.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »

We have several presentation/meeting rooms (~50-75 seat) where I work where instead of ceiling speakers there are 2-3 Melodies hung from the ceiling on each side of the front.  You can hear them talking and someone must have thought that they were putting in "the good stuff".

John Chiara

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »

We have several presentation/meeting rooms (~50-75 seat) where I work where instead of ceiling speakers there are 2-3 Melodies hung from the ceiling on each side of the front.  You can hear them talking and someone must have thought that they were putting in "the good stuff".

Pretty expensive conference room system!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »

Pretty expensive conference room system!
Some of the smaller rooms have Genelec nearfields hooked to the TVs for video conferencing.  The cafeteria they use for large meetings has a couple of JM-1P arrays and a couple dual 18s in endfire.  They just replaced the M7 with a QL too.  They play music though it at lunchtime.   ;D 

Tech company with money.  And someone somewhere who knows better than to get audio from the music store.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.