ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Not sound related, but lots of eletronics intelligencia here (updated AGAIN)  (Read 17634 times)

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
Re: Not sound related, but lots of eletronics intelligencia here (updated)
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »

To be clear,  the transformer has 3 wires on the primary side.  Black & Blue are used (presumed for 110v from wall).
The red wire is wrapped and not used (presumed for 220v).

There are 3 wires on the secondary side.  Yellow - Black - Yellow.
All are attached to the control board.  Each yellow goes down narrow paths to different areas of the board.  The black goes to a large path ( common / neutral?).

The 2 yellow are identical in appearance.  There is no yellow/black.
Are you suggesting I use the black wire on the primary side to measure with the yellows?

If not, then the readings below are as shown.

I was not suggesting using the black on the primary side to measure with the yellows. I had thought that on the output side there was a yellow wire and a yellow wire with a black stripe on it. You have clarified that is not the case.

Well darn, if everything is open, primary and secondary, that is of absolutely no use. I was hoping to see a voltage across one of the yellow and black wires on the secondary side. That would tell you what half the secondary voltage is and give a good idea what the full transformer is supposed to be able to do.

Sorry I also misunderstood that the black on the secondary side is also being used. I thought I understood that it was not being used. Anyhow, thank you for the clarification.

If I were to guess, I would suspect that the system needs a secondary side that is 12-0-12 VAC. Why would I guess that? The wires are yellow (not that this necessarily means anything, but I'm just guessing here (if the wires were red I would be guessing 5V)). Also, the voltage on the capacitors is 25V, slightly more than twice 12V. Finally, 12V is plenty high to be regulated down for a good 5V supply with the zener diode.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:01:24 PM by Josh Millward »
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

David Allred

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »

Josh,
I was about to send this and read your last.  Here it is any way.

I really appreciate all the help with this complex problem.  Are we...
1)  Give up.  It is lost cause.  Reverse engineering is not possible.  Not enough info. (?)
2)  We are getting close, or at least be able to make a reasonable guess with some risk(?)
0r
3)  We can see the finish line and are pretty sure that the transformer that you need is a ________. (?)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »

Josh,
I was about to send this and read your last.  Here it is any way.

I really appreciate all the help with this complex problem.  Are we...
1)  Give up.  It is lost cause.  Reverse engineering is not possible.  Not enough info. (?)
2)  We are getting close, or at least be able to make a reasonable guess with some risk(?)
0r
3)  We can see the finish line and are pretty sure that the transformer that you need is a ________. (?)

I would have applied the 12vac input days ago and seen if it came to life.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »

I would have applied the 12vac input days ago and seen if it came to life.

#1  It doesn't belong to me, so I want to do due diligence.  (He said do due.   ;D)
#2  That would require purchasing a test transformer, and saying "this might work, or not, and by the way, it might blow it up.  If it doesn't blow it up, but doesn't work, now buy another one."

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »

#1  It doesn't belong to me, so I want to do due diligence.  (He said do due.   ;D )
#2  That would require purchasing a test transformer, and saying "this might work, or not, and by the way, it might blow it up.  If it doesn't blow it up, but doesn't work, now buy another one."

1 - It's broke all ready you can't make it worse
2 - Do only us corner case nutjobs have stuff to scavenge parts out of?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »

If you're afraid of occasionally botching something then you're not cut out to be a repair tech.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »

All Electronics has a 12 VAC CT transformer for $12-it is very unlikely to be lower unless it is a special (10 VAC??) to use a 5 V regulator.  They also have a couple of 24 VAC CT.  Odds are one or the other would work.

Due diligence is a good thing-parts changers are not.  Yet sometimes substitution is the best thing.  What is your time worth?  A fellow electrician once pointed out that most of us billed out at $50/hr-or in other words, a buck a minute-how much did we save by spending 15 minutes in the big box store grabbing a roll of NM?

Best scenario-24 VCT transformer fed from a variac-but they are pricey unless you know someone who knows someone (or have your own).

Scott, the only question I have is what to save?  Hate for my shop to look like a hoarders place-but I always need what I pitched last week.

My wife's is made in USA and is quite different (though circuits are probably essentially the same function) so any comparison would be no better than the educated suggestions already given in this thread.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »

Scott, the only question I have is what to save?  Hate for my shop to look like a hoarders place-but I always need what I pitched last week.

I am the wrong guy to ask as I probably fall farther on the scale of the hoarder side.  So far the "public" areas of the house, living, dining, kitchen, family room etc. are free of any electronics that are not in use and the master suite is a "tech free zone" no laptops, tablets etc.  However over the winter I have lost control of the garage and basement and probably just need to bring the crew to the house and rent a box truck and take it all to the warehouse and sort it out.

I don't know how much the t-shirt press cost so I certainly agree with you that I would not bother to fix it however not everyone shares the same economic reality or demand for the time so I would never comment on another's efforts to repair something and the return on their time. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »

I don't know how much the t-shirt press cost so I certainly agree with you that I would not bother to fix it however not everyone shares the same economic reality or demand for the time so I would never comment on another's efforts to repair something and the return on their time.

That is why I asked what is your time worth.  In my day job, I would throw a transformer at it and if it puffed smoke pitch it, buy another press and go on. For my wife's business, maybe spend a couple of evenings trying to fix-especially since I have a variac and a handful of transformers laying around.

Sometimes its easy to not consider the value of your time-the way it was posed to me has made me stop and think more than once.  Other times the challenge and satisfaction of making a succesful repair is more rewarding so the financial justification is moot.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »

That is why I asked what is your time worth.  In my day job, I would throw a transformer at it and if it puffed smoke pitch it, buy another press and go on. For my wife's business, maybe spend a couple of evenings trying to fix-especially since I have a variac and a handful of transformers laying around.

Sometimes its easy to not consider the value of your time-the way it was posed to me has made me stop and think more than once.  Other times the challenge and satisfaction of making a successful repair is more rewarding so the financial justification is moot.

Agree, that's why I would never comment on another's situation.  I am in the unique point in my life that the demand for my work exceeds my desire to work so doing what I like to do has a direct financial consequence as I could be working.  As I get older I have no idea how much longer the demand for my skills will exist and my desire to take good care of my family is very high. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.