ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas MR18 announcement!? Behringer XR18??  (Read 29682 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Midas MR18 announcement!? Behringer XR18??
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

If it's like the X32/M32 offerings, the differences are going to be subtle.  The M32 sounds better than the X32 due to better internal components, plus more durable physical controls.

Since the X18 doesn't have any physical controls, that leaves the differences to be internal. Using the better preamps inside would be a definite plus.  Locking XLRs can be debated either way.  If the WIFI is useful, well, then it's worth the $200 difference right there.

I do find it humorous how absolutely amateur the screen shot of the app is.  It's a photo of an iPad, with a fake iPad poorly overlaid with the home button on the opposite side.  A 3rd grader could do better....
Brian Jojade

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »

I bet the faders are a lot better on the Midas version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »

I bet the faders are a lot better on the Midas version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol  8)

If it was my money to spend I wouldn't even come close to buying the Midas version. Save your money and use the XR. No one will know the difference except you. AND if it follows suit like the Midas M-edit app, you can download the midas version and control the XR hardware.

I toured for a year and a half with an X32 and 2 S16's for FOH. We reconfigured things at some point and I got an M32 with the DL32. I can tell you that after I loaded my files straight from one console to the other, I thought it sounded ever so slightly WORSE. than the Behringer. It was not quite as smooth.

I chalked it up to the Midas having a little more High-end present in the preamps or maybe in the busses idk. Whatever it was, I had a good smooth mix going on the Behringer and when I went to the Midas it was a little too edgy. I had to dial back some of the HF on the channels and lighten up some on the compression. So the grand difference in sound quality between the two desks is probably less than 5%. Is it noticeable? Only to people like me who used one desk every day with the same band and the same mix and then switched desks. To a walk up, probably not noticeable AT ALL.

The big difference is in the feel of the controls. The Midas wins hands down. So the grand total of what you get for your extra dough is a desk that FEELS better to the operator. That's it. Nobody in the crowd or on stage will know the difference.

So tell me why I should spend the extra money on the rack box that HAS NO PHYSICAL CONTROLS? Yep. I'll save my dough.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »

Lol  8)

I toured for a year and a half with an X32 and 2 S16's for FOH. We reconfigured things at some point and I got an M32 with the DL32. I can tell you that after I loaded my files straight from one console to the other, I thought it sounded ever so slightly WORSE. than the Behringer. It was not quite as smooth.

I chalked it up to the Midas having a little more High-end present in the preamps or maybe in the busses idk. Whatever it was, I had a good smooth mix going on the Behringer and when I went to the Midas it was a little too edgy. I had to dial back some of the HF on the channels and lighten up some on the compression. So the grand difference in sound quality between the two desks is probably less than 5%. Is it noticeable? Only to people like me who used one desk every day with the same band and the same mix and then switched desks. To a walk up, probably not noticeable AT ALL.

Interesting

I've had an X32 for 2 1/2 years and got a second one a few months ago to use for a monitor desk. Since it was new I put it at FOH and put the old one in monitor world. The newer one sounded different in the same way you described above. Brighter and possibly harsher though that was probably the brightness. Not sure if it was component changes or just a lack of QC. I assumed the latter.

Anyway, having the Midas name may make a difference to some people. If, as someone said there's only a few hundred dollars difference, it's a cheap decision.

David Buckley

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »

The list of competitive products is interesting as it misses out the most likely competitive product; the Behringer XR18.  And this thread summarizes why: what am I getting for more money...?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:48 PM »

A different name-tag.  Midas is better, right?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »

A different name-tag.  Midas is better, right?

As I pointed out up-to read there *are* electronic differences between the Midas and Behringer 32. For the 18 I'd expect there to some kind of audible, if subtle, difference in sound with some component changes for the more expensive unit.

Until someone opens them up, side by side, we don't know anything for sure.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »

As I pointed out up-to read there *are* electronic differences between the Midas and Behringer 32. For the 18 I'd expect there to some kind of audible, if subtle, difference in sound with some component changes for the more expensive unit.

Until someone opens them up, side by side, we don't know anything for sure.

As I've posted before, there are very real and audible differences between the x32 and m32 families. UI is the same but the console sound certainly is not. We have a bunch of both and interchange them a lot. We also work with many of the same artists and I can tell you gain structure and EQ on the same vocalist with the same mic and the same PA is noticeably and substantially different. One day if we slow down a little I'd like to take some measurements, but in the meantime it is obvious to me and my team. And totally worth the now small price difference.

I don't use the xr mixers myself, but if I were shopping for this type of product I would hands down pay the small difference for the Midas product.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »

Has there been any news on these mixers at NAMM? I really want to try one of the MR12's and am wondering when these will be available to buy?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »

As I've posted before, there are very real and audible differences between the x32 and m32 families. UI is the same but the console sound certainly is not. We have a bunch of both and interchange them a lot. We also work with many of the same artists and I can tell you gain structure and EQ on the same vocalist with the same mic and the same PA is noticeably and substantially different. One day if we slow down a little I'd like to take some measurements, but in the meantime it is obvious to me and my team. And totally worth the now small price difference.

I don't use the xr mixers myself, but if I were shopping for this type of product I would hands down pay the small difference for the Midas product.

I am at gig 3 now with our new M32 and it has been in the studio for the last 2 weeks.  I can confirm Eric's observations.  Beyond channel naming, routing and a very general starting place for eq scenes from our x32's are worthless.  You can't drop the m32, load an x32 scene and put a body in front of it as we do with an x32.  The entire gain structure has to be redone, eq and dynamics updated too. 

Our best techs took to it right away and produced notably better mixes than they did on the x32 (same venue, band and PA) so it is a better tool in the right hands. 

It will be interesting if the smaller products translate in a similar way.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.