ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW BH760  (Read 10790 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: EAW BH760
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

Labs could be fitted easy with handles man.
I have seen all kinds of different "versions" of the lab sub.

Some were EXCELLENT-finished with stacking skids, proper handles, great finish etc.

Others skipped on the basic design "because it was to hard to build".

They did not perform well-I wonder why-------------

Handles and wheels are something that BUILDER should be adding to suit their needs, not the basic acoustical design that Tom Danley did.

The "form factor" is the easy part.  You just have to want to do it.  Of course it adds costs and build time, but that was part of the idea of the whole project.

To provide a basic design that would perform well, and let people customize as they wanted to.

Sorry, but when somebody complains about "lack of handles"-that is their own fault for not putting them in.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »

Ivan.
I didn't build the subs, I bought then used :)

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »

I tried to find a picture of Tako Tamas's labsubs, they were fantastic. But no luck :-(

Helge, fitting handles on already build subs should not be a problem. But that is all too late now. :-)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »

Are you thinking about the ones that looked like a SB28?

Those we're a great build :)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »

Are you thinking about the ones that looked like a SB28?

Those we're a great build :)

Yes.  They were nicely done.  Interlocking stacking provisions and HDPE runners, lots of handles and the finish color was very "l'Acoustic" to me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A. Bentsen

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »

I actually found a drawing of the first pair of horns I built when I was 18 back at my parents house.

Loaded with Zomax P1865 they we're fantastic at the time. Today my ears tell me that they sound decent but a bit "one-notey". I always liked the form factor on these, it's pretty close to a BH760.

I've always wondered if a different driver could unlock some performance in these, they we're actually pretty easy and cheap to build. Sadly I guess the design is limited in it's potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 11:18:10 AM »

I actually found a drawing of the first pair of horns I built when I was 18 back at my parents house.

Loaded with Zomax P1865 they we're fantastic at the time. Today my ears tell me that they sound decent but a bit "one-notey". I always liked the form factor on these, it's pretty close to a BH760.

I've always wondered if a different driver could unlock some performance in these, they we're actually pretty easy and cheap to build. Sadly I guess the design is limited in it's potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As with most/all horn designs the Keele W cabinet is pretty sensitive to the driver choice.

And in most cases using a "better" driver will actually yield WORSE performance.

The driver must be matched to the horn.

In the case of the Keele design, it was designed for the JBL K151, a bass guitar speaker.  If you put the "better" JBL PA driver in it, you got less output.

In some cases the better drivers are simply "to strong" for proper horn loading.

There is a bit of an "art" to horns.  NOT just simply sticking a driver in it and hoping  a better driver will work better.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

MikeHarris

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

We did a few fixed installs with the BH880...it's bigger brother. EAW made a few BH440 for me...the 880 cut in half

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »

As with most/all horn designs the Keele W cabinet is pretty sensitive to the driver choice.

And in most cases using a "better" driver will actually yield WORSE performance.

The driver must be matched to the horn.

In the case of the Keele design, it was designed for the JBL K151, a bass guitar speaker.  If you put the "better" JBL PA driver in it, you got less output.

In some cases the better drivers are simply "to strong" for proper horn loading.

There is a bit of an "art" to horns.  NOT just simply sticking a driver in it and hoping  a better driver will work better.

Yes, that's why I never bothered trying a different driver.
It would however been interesting to run this design trough Hornresp or similar to see what kind of driver actually fits in this horn and where it unloads..

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »

Yes, that's why I never bothered trying a different driver.
It would however been interesting to run this design trough Hornresp or similar to see what kind of driver actually fits in this horn and where it unloads..
If I remember correctly, this design was intended for 60Hz and up.

Back when it was designed, there was not a lot of low freq in music.

At least was we now consider it.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.