ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PL380 question  (Read 1013 times)

brian casterlin

PL380 question
« on: December 13, 2016, 05:23:53 pm »

I have a Pl380 and its run on a 20amp breaker lately it pops the break during turn on, I reset the 20amp breaker and its fine.   QSC says its soft start system shouldn't pop breaker.   I tried this at  5 different venues that I used this on a dedicated 20 and never a problem till just last month.  I only run loads of 4 and 8ohms.      Strange because the amp runs like a champ after.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: PL380 question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »

Maybe the soft start circuit is not starting soft.

JR
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

brian casterlin

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »

Maybe the soft start circuit is not starting soft.

JR

that's what I'm thinking, but sometimes it's just fine and works. I may have to fork over the 70$ to ship it back to qsc for some bench testing. What's weird is I can shut it off and start it up 10 min later without an issue.

PhilipGoldworth

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:57:53 pm »

that's what I'm thinking, but sometimes it's just fine and works. I may have to fork over the 70$ to ship it back to qsc for some bench testing. What's weird is I can shut it off and start it up 10 min later without an issue.

Not strange at all. The 2nd time you start the amp, you've already charged the power supply storage capacitors.

brian casterlin

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »

Not strange at all. The 2nd time you start the amp, you've already charged the power supply storage capacitors.

I figured that but it was working fine at all these spots now, no so much so.  I wonder what the startup surge is on these.  A friend who has like 16 of them for tour duty on subs does not have an issue but they are on distro boxes with 30amp breakers. He seems to think I have weakened all the breaker in the places I use this at :)

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:11:19 pm »

I have a Pl380 and its run on a 20amp breaker lately it pops the break during turn on, I reset the 20amp breaker and its fine.   QSC says its soft start system shouldn't pop breaker.   I tried this at  5 different venues that I used this on a dedicated 20 and never a problem till just last month.  I only run loads of 4 and 8ohms.      Strange because the amp runs like a champ after.

I'm confused.  Is it only when you use the same specific breaker (as in your distro, that you have control over) that itrips, or is it with any feed (not under your control) with a 20A breaker?

-Dennis

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:55:59 pm »

Did your hear the relays on the amp prior to circuit breaker tripping?

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 18 queries.