ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to get better/louder sound from my current subs. Is it possible?  (Read 22127 times)

Cesar Acosta

Hi all. I have a setup that consists of two Alto Black 12" 2400W peak powered mains and a couple of old peavey black widow 18" subs in 2'x2'x2' enclosures that have 2 3" round cutouts each (no port tube), powered by a Behringer NU3000DSP sub. I connect them both in parallel in bridge mode, delivering 3000W at 4 ohms. I usually leave the amp at around 3/4 total gain (or just at where the clipping LED doesn't turn on at all), since I think these are 1400W peak subs (can't find the specs for sure, since they are older black widows).

I use my system for bands and for recorded music/DJs too. Some instruments like 5 string bass and Tuba (common to use where I live) go down to 31Hz, sometimes 29Hz. So it'd be great to be able to reproduce those frequencies and to also get some nice thump in the chest from the subs.

The Alto Black 12 have a crossover set at 80Hz.

I don't know if I'm asking too much out of these drivers or if I just have very inefficient cabs. I was thinking about going for folded horn cabs, but, in all the reading I've done online, they say bass reflex cabs are what everyone's using now. So I'm asking for any thoughts and suggestions on how to get the best from what I already have. Or maybe I should just sell them and buy something else? Thanks in advance for your help. If you need to know anything else about my setup to make a suggestion just let me know.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Trying to get better/louder sound from my current subs. Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »

I don't know if I'm asking too much out of these drivers
Yes you are

or if I just have very inefficient cabs.
Yes you do

I was thinking about going for folded horn cabs
I'm thinking about a truck for my new vehicle. Is it right for me?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »

Or maybe I should just sell them and buy something else?
This. You are asking more of the subs than they were ever designed to deliver so you not only need an upgrade to more capable subs but likely more subs total.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »

Try placing the subs in the corners of the room, so the walls divide the space.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »

Try placing the subs in the corners of the room, so the walls divide the space.

JR

To take this to the ultimate, place both subs in the same corner.

But yeah, basically any newish 800-1200 dollar powered sub will mop the floor with what you've got.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Cesar Acosta

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »

I've been looking at the matching Alto Black powered subs. I bought the Alto black mids expecting them not to sound great, but I've received many compliments by people with much more experience than me in professional audio. However, the 18" subs are around $1000 each, which would be hard to afford for me at the moment.

Do you think going for the powered 2400W peak 15" Alto black subs would be a downgrade or upgrade from these? I saw a reviewer say "they kick harder than most 18s".

John Chiara

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »

Maxxbass? A Crest or Peavey DSP amp. It will make a difference. Maybe not enough for what you need.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »

I've been looking at the matching Alto Black powered subs. I bought the Alto black mids expecting them not to sound great, but I've received many compliments by people with much more experience than me in professional audio. However, the 18" subs are around $1000 each, which would be hard to afford for me at the moment.

Do you think going for the powered 2400W peak 15" Alto black subs would be a downgrade or upgrade from these? I saw a reviewer say "they kick harder than most 18s".

They would probably be better than what you have, but a year from now you'll be wondering why you didn't just save up for the 18's.

I've never used the Black stuff, but I've surprisingly only heard positive things about it. The other Alto gear seems to be very good value for the money.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »

Cesar, you keep using 'peak watts' as a guide to power.  First off you need to look at RMS watts for real numbers - peak means very little -  but even more importantly look at SPL. #  watts will not provide you with the information you need to determine sound levels.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Cesar Acosta

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »

Cesar, you keep using 'peak watts' as a guide to power.  First off you need to look at RMS watts for real numbers - peak means very little -  but even more importantly look at SPL. #  watts will not provide you with the information you need to determine sound levels.

You're right. I used peak with the subs because I can't find whether the rating on the Behringer amp is for peak watts or program or rms. I can only guess they are peak, since it hasn't blown up my speakers. Then I just rolled with it when I mentioned the Alto lol. The alto are sold as 1200W continuous (max spl 133db) and they are all the same rating; the mids (10", 12" and 15") and the subs too (15" and 18").

From what I'm reading here, I might just have to sell my current subs and get at least one powered 18, then get the other when I'm able to. I don't think selling these subs will get me enough for even just one powered 18 though lol.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.