ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad for wireless mixing  (Read 7418 times)

Michael Gorecki

Ipad for wireless mixing
« on: December 09, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »

Hey guys, I was looking for a current thread on this but being as technology updates so fast the most recent thread is out of date. My iPad 2 got fried the other night 5 minutes before a show. I was wondering if any of you have experience with the iPad mini, specifically the scaling of the apps and the multi touch on faders. I generally run the apps for the Pro series, GLD, X32 and Touch Mix. So if you have any experience with those apps on the mini or any other surfaces (the good and the bad) I'd love some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Derek Neu

Re: Ipad for wireless mixing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 02:23:17 AM »

I use an ipad air 2, surface pro 2 and 3.  I use the ipad air with my soundcraft as it only supports ios.  The ipad air is nice because you still get a big enough screen to manipulate things, but it is super lightweight.  I have a few elastic band handles that clip on, so th palm of my hand rests on the back of the ipad and the strap goes over the back of my hand.  Fits like a high tech glove.  I can run around the venue with my hand at my side and never have to worry about dropping it.

I looked at the ipad mini, but preferred the air for its size.  I know I didn't specifically answer your question, but wanted to suggest the ipad air to put it on your radar.  I picked mine up off of craigslist for a hundred bucks.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »

Not sure if this helps but I use an iPad 3 for mixing sound QU series and an iPad mini for lights - side by side. I didn't choose the mini, hubby won it in a competition at work  and it was just at the time I was looking into wireless controlled lighting. I didn't think I could justify another full size iPad purchase so I downloaded the Luminair app on to the mini and I have used it ever since.
I never notice any problems with the screen size or functionality restrictions this might cause.
I always take it with me as back-up whether running lights or not- but one time I had to use it for sound because my iPad hadn't been charged and I didn't need it for lights. I didn't really notice much difference on the QU PAD app once I got going. However, I have small fingers and I know some folks suffer from 'fat fingers' so this might be more of a problem for others ...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the iPad mini, specifically the scaling of the apps and the multi touch on faders. I generally run the apps for the Pro series, GLD, X32 and Touch Mix.

I have both the iPad Mini 2 and iPad 4(?). I use the Mini for all mixer remote control purposes. I have used it with the X32, Qu-16, and TouchMix. I don't mind the small size. I actually like it better because it's easier to carry around.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »

I use the mini as a meter bridge on my SC Performer.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »

I have both. I've used the mini almost exclusively since I've had it.  The larger screen is nice but I find the mini easy to handle and move around with. It is less fatiguing over a long period of time. I have both in otterboxes and the iPad Air is much heavier overall. It's not that big of a deal but I find the mini easier to deal with.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 02:07:24 PM »

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the iPad mini, specifically the scaling of the apps and the multi touch on faders. I generally run the apps for the Pro series, GLD, X32 and Touch Mix. So if you have any experience with those apps on the mini or any other surfaces (the good and the bad) I'd love some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike, I don't have any experience with those specific apps, however our company is only using the iPad mini platform for mixing.  I and the guys I have working for me feel it fits the hands better than the iPad IV.  We have used these with the Midas Pro2/c, Midas M32, Behringer X32 Rack and Yamaha QL5.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »

I've have and have used the mini, air and extra large pro - the mini is always the goto.  It feels right in my hands and at some jobs I feel a little more invisible when roaming room and not like that guy who brought an iPad to a wedding.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:45 AM »

So I went out and bought the air 2 tonight and I'm pretty sure I made a mistake. They've got an extended exchange period due to the holiday season but I've got a small gig that needs to be mixed from side stage tomorrow. So I'll test it then and report back. It already feels uncomfortable in my hand but the apps are nice and bold. I'm interested to see how I preform with it tomorrow.

I wish I would've checked this thread before hand but I couldn't resist getting the bigger screen for the same money. (Who doesn't want a bigger screen?)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Paul

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

Mini format IME works fine for your referenced apps.
My preference is for the smaller devices. I utilize M/X32 Mix, MasterFader4/ Classic on Mini2s, and Mixing StationPro32 along with DMX/ArtNet remote apps on
LG VK810s.
Be aware that some apps may prove to be too difficult for some operators due to the reduced screen size. I.E. QSC TouchMix, Presonus UC, A&H QU GEQ faders are difficult to adjust via fingertip, therefore requiring the use of a stylus is recommended.
Best avoid the original Mini and opt for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation as performance is sub par for the former.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.