ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DAS Audio Action Series  (Read 9139 times)

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
DAS Audio Action Series
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »

Has anyone used the DAS Audio Action series?  I am specifically interested in the M12 passive wedge.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: DAS Audio Action Series
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:53:36 PM »

Interested in it for what application?  For your home stereo or a touring act?

You need to ask specific question if you wanted anything other than snark.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »

Interested in it for what application?  For your home stereo or a touring act?

You need to ask specific question if you wanted anything other than snark.

I am looking for an upgrade from Mackie 450s for my regional company.  We do everything from local bar gigs to festivals with B level acts.  Passive would be my preferred option.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:40:55 AM »

I am looking for an upgrade from Mackie 450s for my regional company.  We do everything from local bar gigs to festivals with B level acts.  Passive would be my preferred option.

No direct experience with the M12 but I was pleasantly surprised by the DAS Aero 12 vertical array.  I'm not sure what I expected but it didn't suck.  It's not a Nexo Geo S12 but it doesn't have the Nexo price tag, either.

I think you need to find a dealer with a decent return policy and order one.  If you don't like it, return it.  I see they're special order at "Navigation Aid"... If you didn't find it to meet you needs you can sell it, even if you had to take a $100 loss that $100 saved you from buying a half dozen (or more) speakers you'd ultimately regret buying.  Likewise don't think twice about spending $100 or so to travel to audition items for a major purchase.  The "due diligence" is part of the total cost of ownership.  Better to spend a little up front than later wish you'd not spent thousands.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »

Has anyone used the DAS Audio Action series?  I am specifically interested in the M12 passive wedge.

The Action M12 is a good little wedge. You will find its build quality is way above where the price point would suggest - it shares many hardware components and the same quality of woodwork as the premium touring Road series of monitors.

The drivers are pretty decent and extremely affordable to replace if the need arises. There are protection fuses on the crossover.

I have 8 x Passive Action M12s in hire stock (along with Turbo TXD M12s and JBL MRX512M wedges at an price equivalent level to these)

To cut a long story short, the Action M12s blow the TXDs and MRXs out of the water.

We have just sold a load of them into a venue who have replaced D&B Max15s with them. Louder, cleaner, clearer and drop lower than the Max 15. The venue couldn't beliieve that they were able to sell their Max15s and upgrade significantly in performance and end up with money in their pockets as well!

Like any passive wedge, I would recommend running them with DSP. Set a high pass filter to 65Hz, a (very) little corrective EQ and a well set limiter and they are really quite astonishing.

We do admittedly drive ours with Powersoft X4s as we have standardised on these amps in our hire stock. We did used to run them on Crown XTi 2002 but found they were very happy on the extra current of the XTi4002. And yes, voiced properly and using the advanced limiter settings on the Powersoft X4s (we did also use Linea Reasearch 44M10s) they really come to life in a way that you just would not expect for a box at this price point.

As an experiment I put out a stage full of them for a well known international touring act as I was that confident in their performance. They stated that it was the best on stage sound they had ever had!

Not bad for a wedge that retails here in the UK for less than £450.

Give them a demo, you will find that they are a whole different league to the Mackies that you were using before.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:19:32 AM »

No direct experience with the M12 but I was pleasantly surprised by the DAS Aero 12 vertical array.  I'm not sure what I expected but it didn't suck.  It's not a Nexo Geo S12 but it doesn't have the Nexo price tag, either.

Aero 12 wasn't bad but really suffered for no presets for array compensation. Many people ran them without an external system processor and the sound quality (never bad) was not as polished as it could have been.

The new Aero20 is leagues ahead of the old Aero12 (like for like replacement) Louder, cleaner, clearer, FIR filtered, built in array compensation and with a greatly improved rigging system. I suspect you would be harder pushed to choose between Geo and Aero20.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:55 AM »

Very happy with my Action 8As. Wood cabs, not made in China, excellent build quality. Don't go as loud as my QSC K10s, but they sound nicer.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 03:05:34 PM »

Alright thanks everyone. I have ordered two boxes to test out. I'm looking forward to using them

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »

Alright thanks everyone. I have ordered two boxes to test out. I'm looking forward to using them

Let us know how you get on please :-)
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »

I got them this afternoon and checked them out in the shop. For no processing dialed in, I'm very impressed for the price. I'm going to spend some more time working with them later this week

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.