ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: K12 competitors  (Read 7741 times)

Jim McKeveny

K12 competitors
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »

I am new to this range of the SR market,  and I have inherited  a fair sized brood of K Series, especially K12s.

What I need to know is: What have been your experiences with them? (Any Achilles?) What are their competitors? What is the next step up in performance for similar size/weight (w/o cost restraint)?

Mal Brown

Re: K12 competitors
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:36:28 PM »

We have 7 K12's, 2 K10's, 4 KW181's. So we are reasonably deep in K series.

Experiences... positive

Achilles heel... in my opinion, there isn't one.  It's a great box.   They sound good right out of the box.  Which makes them very rental friendly...

Competition, I hear the there are some RCF boxes that are really good in the category. 

Step up...  good question.  One I am trying to answer.  I'm splay arraying 2 K12's per side on larger shows and it is marginal. I am getting away with it but I know what needs to happen to get a step up.   

I need to do 4 tighter dispersion point source boxes.  Looking at used stuff from Renkus trap series, JBL 4894's, EAW, Community ...  it will be an opportunistic buy when it happens, based more on budget and output barring audio issues that would disqualify a box... whatever I do will be passive tri or quad amped.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:11:15 AM »

Own two K10s and have used K12s.  One of the first good sounding powered MI boxes to come out.  Pros: Pleasant and warm, nothing offensive.  Reliable.  Angled pole mount is handy.  Good internal limiting.  Reasonably full range within it's volume limits.  Cons: Quickly eclipsed by the slightly cheaper Yamaha DXR and others.  HF pattern doesn't hold together, more beamy at higher frequencies.  When pushed it loses clarity compared to the competition and sounds congested.  Similar sized but slightly more expensive Yamaha DSR112 and JBL SRX812 run away to the next zip code in comparison.

Since I have 2 I keep my eye open for a deal on another K10 or two as I use them for monitors or smaller gigs where I don't have to push them compared to my DSRs.  But if someone wanted to trade for some DXR10s I'd do it in a heartbeat and then buy more of those.  Can't see investing in more Ks unless it's a real deal.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »

K series - OK unless pushed.  Better quality at higher cost, but not crazy expensive - RCF.  Especially the TT+ line. 

I would rather have two types of speakers, low cost option (Turnaround Milan) and higher quality option (RCF TT). 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »

Good until pushed hard; then they get brittle. 

I have great experiences with kw152 / kw153 as upgrade.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »

I own 2 K10's and I agree that they are OK till pushed - they do NOT hang with the Yamaha DXR10's which are less expensive. The amp panel is laid out well and quite flexible on the K series - especially for DJ's but overall I have always felt they are overpriced compared the competition. I have mine up for sale right now - I have too many small format powered boxes that are better IMHO.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »

Own two K10s and have used K12s.  One of the first good sounding powered MI boxes to come out.  Pros: Pleasant and warm, nothing offensive.  Reliable.  Angled pole mount is handy.  Good internal limiting.  Reasonably full range within it's volume limits.  Cons: Quickly eclipsed by the slightly cheaper Yamaha DXR and others.  HF pattern doesn't hold together, more beamy at higher frequencies.  When pushed it loses clarity compared to the competition and sounds congested.  Similar sized but slightly more expensive Yamaha DSR112 and JBL SRX812 run away to the next zip code in comparison.

Pretty much how I feel about them as well. I do think they are excellent floor wedges though.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »

At half the price and made of real wood, the Alto SXM 112 does a much better job as a floor wedge.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »

+1 on pushing, etc.  They've never let me down for what they are.  They also have fans and do well out in the sunshine.  Our rental shop loves them.  I sold my first pair when I moved to the 153s only to buy them back because they were impossible for me to rent when I needed them.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »

At half the price and made of real wood, the Alto SXM 112 does a much better job as a floor wedge.
I have 4 of those.  Great little boxes for half the price of the K10.  I use the QSCs as sidefills to get things like keyboards into them which sounds fuller than the Altos.  Agreed that the Altos are easier to hear vocals on a stage though.  If I could trade the 2 QSCs and get 4 more Altos I could paper the stage with them.  I bought the QSCs when they were fairly new and I was downscaling.  They've been good reliable boxes over the years.  But way too expensive to invest in more to keep things even.  So now I'm stuck with the pair.  Maybe like Debbie I should see if I can get a decent price for them.  Always kept in the bags so they're still in good shape.  Hmmm, a quick peek at ebay shows they're still getting around $500 a piece.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.