ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Loud Noise From Church Soundsystem - Cause Unknown  (Read 8312 times)

Justin Buttelmann

Very Loud Noise From Church Soundsystem - Cause Unknown
« on: December 05, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »

Sooooo, I run the soundboard at my church half of the time.  I've been doing it for about a year - I'm familiar with the setup but don't know a lot about audio stuff.  We're a small church and don't have a dedicated sound guy.

This past Sunday, I got a very very loud, noise coming from the speakers after the sound system had been on and in use for about 20 minutes.  The noise was intermittent, but it lasted for a few seconds - it was not just a pop.  I turned down the main volume, then turned it up again.  We used the sound system for another 40 minutes or so, and the noise came again.

It doesn't appear to be feedback.  We've had some feedback in the past, but this was a sudden, blaring loud noise.  Our guitarist thought that it occurred when someone stepped on a microphone cable.  We have several mics with XLR cables that plug into a snake, and the snake plugs into the soundboard.  The only other input to the soundboard is from a wireless receiver for the pastor's microphone.  We got the apocalypse noise with the wireless channel muted, though.

Could a bad microphone or XLR cable cause this?  Any ideas are appreciated.  I will certainly breath easier when I find out what caused the issue.  After service, I turned down the volume and giggled all of the microphone connections and flexed the mic cables.  I couldn't reproduce the issue, though.

We have a mackie soundboard.  There are two amps connected.  One runs yamaha speakers in the sanctuary, and one connects to ceiling speakers in the nursery and narthex.  Sorry I can't give more details on the setup - I live kind of far from the church.
Justin Buttelmann

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Very Loud Noise From Church Soundsystem - Cause Unknown
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »

In the words of Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers, Can you make the sound?

Cuz just saying "sound" doesn't tell us a lot. Give us an idea of the nature of the sound. Static? Buzz? Hum? What did it sound like?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »

Justin, could the sound have been from the monitors and not the main system, or have been reamplified through an open microphone in the mains?  My first guess is that is a wireless problem.  Low batteries, improperly set squelch (sometimes labeled "mute), or a passing illegal CB rig can cause a huge blast of noise.  On some consoles muting the input still allows the sound to go through the monitors or effects sends.  If it happens again, try to see were there are peak lights flashing (or pegged meters).  I have also had an internal digital effect unit go whacky putting "white noise" out through the effects returns to the main out of a console.  If you have a digital snake, be absolutely certain it is not where someone can step on it or bump it.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »

Cuz just saying "sound" doesn't tell us a lot. Give us an idea of the nature of the sound. Static? Buzz? Hum? What did it sound like?

And just listing brands doesn't tell us much about the gear. Model numbers are more useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Justin Buttelmann

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:11:59 PM »

It sounded like two tones - something like an F-54 and F-42.  So it was high pitched, but not the squealing I normally associate with feedback.  It sounded for a second, and stopped, and sounded again.  The volume was steady though, when it was making noise.  There was no crescendo/decrescendo.  It was much louder than anything I want coming out of those speakers (no morning coffee needed after hearing it).
Justin Buttelmann

Justin Buttelmann

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:10 PM »

And just listing brands doesn't tell us much about the gear. Model numbers are more useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will make sure to write down model numbers next time I'm at the church.
Justin Buttelmann

Justin Buttelmann

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »

Justin, could the sound have been from the monitors and not the main system, or have been reamplified through an open microphone in the mains?  My first guess is that is a wireless problem.  Low batteries, improperly set squelch (sometimes labeled "mute), or a passing illegal CB rig can cause a huge blast of noise.  On some consoles muting the input still allows the sound to go through the monitors or effects sends.  If it happens again, try to see were there are peak lights flashing (or pegged meters).  I have also had an internal digital effect unit go whacky putting "white noise" out through the effects returns to the main out of a console.  If you have a digital snake, be absolutely certain it is not where someone can step on it or bump it.

That's interesting.  We have an analog snake, so if it's an issue with an effects unit, it would probably be in the sound board.  I will try again to reproduce the issue and watch for peak lights.
Is there any way you can think of that the noise could be caused by a bad mic or mic cable?  What would happen if the 12V line was shorted to ground?  I would love to find that the issue is with a cable and not anything more expensive, but if I can rule out cables and mics, it will help me debug a little better.
Justin Buttelmann

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:57:38 AM »

Justin, where are you located?  We have lots of folks out here who might be willing to give a hand.

Justin Buttelmann

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »

Justin, where are you located?  We have lots of folks out here who might be willing to give a hand.

That would be wonderful, we're in Vernon Hills, Illinois, though.
Justin Buttelmann

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »

Justin, that's not the kind of sounds I have heard with wireless mic mute settings or from effects unit failures.  I was thinking Pink/white noise blasts, which I have heard.  It makes your problem more interesting at the least.

It's probably not a 12V line shorting.  Hopefully others on the forum have more ideas.  From long distance, this one has me scratching my head! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.