ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a single 15" Active Loud Speaker as a Subwoofer ?  (Read 10916 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Using a single 15" Active Loud Speaker as a Subwoofer ?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 12:47:13 PM »

Thanks for the posts everybody. I have my answer.
And that "answer" would be what?

Just curious
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »

@Debbie..Thanks! I do not care for the bluetooth DSP bells and whistles...so the PRX715xlf looks good!
I have a couple and they are surprisingly efficient. I have considered selling them more than once but the band uses them in the smaller bars (I also own the PRX718xlf's and SRX818/828 also too) and gets such good results. I like the kick through them - nice and tight and punchy. They are still available for $699 on clearance so the investment isn't much for very good results.
Bear in mind 37hz @ -10db / 44hz @ -3db is not what you had mentioned but this meets most of your criteria. You won't find anything going down to 30hz in this price bracket or even close.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »

I have a couple and they are surprisingly efficient. I have considered selling them more than once but the band uses them in the smaller bars (I also own the PRX718xlf's and SRX818/828 also too) and gets such good results. I like the kick through them - nice and tight and punchy. They are still available for $699 on clearance so the investment isn't much for very good results.
Bear in mind 37hz @ -10db / 44hz @ -3db is not what you had mentioned but this meets most of your criteria. You won't find anything going down to 30hz in this price bracket or even close.

I'll add that I used a single 715 once, paired with (2) SRM450's, and the rig sounded surprisingly good. It was a small room, moderate volume gig with a 4 piece classic rock band. I had to really crank up the volume on the sub to get a balanced sound, but that little lightweight box did a great job.

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »

Thanks for the posts everybody. I have my answer.
I'm nothing but a long timer lurking in the wings here.. so just to say; How frustrating (ok over stating it actually) to not have given 'what speaker?, what the need, etc, seeing the participation- no seeing it lead to solution/end result? To then have 'thanks, bye-bye'.
Does it matter? 'Meh. Only in that reading, for many of us, the participating is for the large part for learning.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:03:52 PM by Wayne Smith2 »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:06 PM »

I'm nothing but a long timer lurking in the wings here.. so just to say; How frustrating (ok over stating it actually) to not have given 'what speaker?, what the need, etc, seeing the participation- no seeing it lead to solution/end result? To then have 'thanks, bye-bye'.
Does it matter? 'Meh. Only in that reading, for many of us, the participating is for the large part for learning.

I agree.... I try to always remember to come back to any of my posts and update according to my decision or findings. This is helpful to others either following the thread or needing similar help down the road as reference. It is the right thing to do.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »

To sum up some of the kidding that is going around:

1. Yes it will work, but how well is the question.

2. No it will not work if you want 140db in any weight at any given spot.

3. It will not make your chest implode......ever

4. It will be better than no sub at all.

5. It will likely not produce the results you desire if you're looking for rock show volumes in rock show venues.

In short, yes it will work well for acoustic duo type events with a need for added low end and or very quiet full band type shows. It will not work as desired if you need any sort of rock show volume at a rock show event.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 04:36:04 AM »

I can't think (or imagine) any 15" top that'll hit 30Hz at useful SPL. Flat to 40Hz is possible, though won't be loud.
I had some that came close, but that was a DIY system using a very nice 15" 1200w sub driver per side in the tops, and a meaty compression driver that went low enough to meet up to the 15" before it got too nasty. That lot went down to 45Hz pretty solidly, but you do lose SPL in the bass simply by putting the speakers up on stands. Going for 30Hz would be a different game again, meaning serious reduction in available SPL (simulations suggest you'd get 113dB at 30Hz with ~1KW input, and the cone is exceeding 1" peak-to-peak travel elsewhere in the range. The simulated cabinet is bigger than most 15" tops, too).

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 04:43:58 AM »

I have Ciare 15NDH-4S 15" woofers in 5.4 cuft ported boxes tuned for the flatest lowest response. They barely go to 40hz. You need an 18" to go low. A foto of the 15" in the bottom cabinet.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 09:13:11 PM »

I have Ciare 15NDH-4S 15" woofers in 5.4 cuft ported boxes tuned for the flatest lowest response. They barely go to 40hz. You need an 18" to go low. A foto of the 15" in the bottom cabinet.

Driver size doesn't effect low frequency extension.  It does effect the level of the output.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »

Driver size doesn't effect low frequency extension.  It does effect the level of the output.
Yes and no.

There are small drivers that go quite low, often quite a bit lower than larger drivers.

The level of output depends on the freq involved.

And what is the "cutoff" freq REFERENCED TO?

That is something that most people forget.

So -3dB relative to what?  Without the "what", the -3 is TOTALLY meaningless.

The REAL question is: how loud at a particular freq.

ANY driver ever made can EASILY reproduce 1Hz.

But how loud it is-THAT is a completely different issue.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.