Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: THHN  (Read 16252 times)

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: THHN
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »

You can still get solid bare ground wire in 6awg and 4awg. Horrible to work with.

I know you can get #6 solid (I have some) that's sold to the telecom industry for grounding. Gray PVC jacket. It's not UL listed per NEC so it can only be used for communications grounding. I've never heard of #4 solid (where the hell did he find that, probably Ebay right?) but it is the same case- not listed so it can't be used in an electrical installation though utilities can use anything they want since they don't come under the NEC.

-Hal
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:59:20 PM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Copper-Building-Wire-Bare-Cable/603925

I've used it before for grounding and the AHJ passed it.  I'm not sure what testing UL is going to do on a 100% copper solid bare conductor? 

For that matter, since a ground can be "bare, covered, or insulated", other than smoke producing properties (a concern no matter the use), the only reason I see for the gray not being acceptable is the color-which needs to be green or green with a yellow stripe.

Thought you might find the description interesting-bare cooper for overhead transmission wiring. I've ran into some recently-I honestly didn't know the #4 bare was marketed for such use!
Steve Swaffer

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:48 AM »

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Copper-Building-Wire-Bare-Cable/603925

I've used it before for grounding and the AHJ passed it.  I'm not sure what testing UL is going to do on a 100% copper solid bare conductor? 

For that matter, since a ground can be "bare, covered, or insulated", other than smoke producing properties (a concern no matter the use), the only reason I see for the gray not being acceptable is the color-which needs to be green or green with a yellow stripe.

Thought you might find the description interesting-bare cooper for overhead transmission wiring. I've ran into some recently-I honestly didn't know the #4 bare was marketed for such use!

I stand corrected. Obviously #4 bare is available and as such can be used for grounding and bonding.

-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:48 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.