ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Demo Track Playlist  (Read 74807 times)

Scott Levine

Re: PA Demo Track Playlist
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »

U2 - I still haven't found...,  Buju Banton - first 2 tracks off Til Shiloh,  The Who - Baba O'Riley,  Van Morrison - Days Like This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

John L Nobile

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »

Lately I have been using this to EQ the system:

https://youtu.be/T3lpQ_-nh-s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's really good.

christoffer hafer

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »

Schwupps is back again
"Just because you believe something doesn´t make it true."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »

Lately I have been using this to EQ the system:

https://youtu.be/T3lpQ_-nh-s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not bad, but for some reason I really don't get on with the drums on that.
I like the mash-up and everything else, but the drums just don't sit right for me.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John Ferreira

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »

Not bad, but for some reason I really don't get on with the drums on that.
I like the mash-up and everything else, but the drums just don't sit right for me.

Chris

Usually a helpful critic has more that just the "sitting well" knob, which most mixers do not have.
If you were to criticize in terms of Bass, Mids, Highs, effects, or even volume, than we would know what your opinion is.

Also please show us what tracks you would use.
John Ferreira

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 05:18:35 AM »

Usually a helpful critic has more that just the "sitting well" knob, which most mixers do not have.
If you were to criticize in terms of Bass, Mids, Highs, effects, or even volume, than we would know what your opinion is.

Also please show us what tracks you would use.

I've already mentioned that Buena by Morphine would be my walk-up one-track to check/EQ a system. I also quite like Learn to Fly by the Foo Fighters.

With regards to the drums, I think it's a timing thing. Some parts, I feel like he's playing a different track. Around 8 to 13 seconds in, for instance, or just as he comes in around 1.04. I'd take the compressor off the snare (if there is one) and take it down around 3dB so the hits that are on-beat are louder than the rolls but both sit more in the mix rather than very much on top of everything else.
Or maybe I'm just not keen on that particular snare sound.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Stelios Mac

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »

First track I'll ever play through the PA is American idiot by Green day (Off the Album, not Youtube, obviously).
Yes, it's got absolutely zero dynamics, yes it's a pop song, etc, etc, but it just always works for me.
CLA is a genius at mixing, if you hear something you don't like about how it sounds, it's the PA, 100% (Or maybe that's just the case with me, you need to find something that resembles your preferred mixing style & tonality).
And, maybe it's just me again, but the guitars almost resemble pink noise in the mids so you can tell what sounds off right away.
I always play some songs afterwards (Most of which have already been mentioned) but I rarely do any changes.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »

First track I'll ever play through the PA is American idiot by Green day (Off the Album, not Youtube, obviously).
Yes, it's got absolutely zero dynamics, yes it's a pop song, etc, etc, but it just always works for me.
CLA is a genius at mixing, if you hear something you don't like about how it sounds, it's the PA, 100% (Or maybe that's just the case with me, you need to find something that resembles your preferred mixing style & tonality).
And, maybe it's just me again, but the guitars almost resemble pink noise in the mids so you can tell what sounds off right away.
I always play some songs afterwards (Most of which have already been mentioned) but I rarely do any changes.

I would disagree with it is the PA.  Reason being is if your outside and it sound great, Then when you take it into the Venue and it does not sound good, It is the venue and the acoustics of the room that changed the sound. 

Stelios Mac

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2017, 02:28:49 AM »

I would disagree with it is the PA.  Reason being is if your outside and it sound great, Then when you take it into the Venue and it does not sound good, It is the venue and the acoustics of the room that changed the sound.

Well yeah, maybe I should rephrase that. "Not the song"? I don't know how to put it.

The thing is, it's going to reveal everything that's wrong with the system as a whole (including the room). It's not gonna "cover things up".
After I've fixed everything and made the PA sound good with this, I can go ahead and play various "pretty" sounding songs (Jennifer Warnes, Chris Isaak, and so on).

Those songs are superior in sound quality, but they pretty much cover everything up.
You'll be blown away if you listen to them through a pair of monitors with the lights off (What? Where's the monitors? I'm pretty sure there's a band in front of me!  ;D ) and you'll be able to tell a good and a bad PA apart, but you won't discover that annoying resonance at 2.5k that screws up your guitars & vocals...

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »

Tons of good stuff here. Always good to learn about new music. Here's the stuff I use most often...not exhaustive, but this is the bulk of it.

Michael Ruff - Wishing Well
Chris Jones - No Sanctuary Here
Brian Simpson - And The Story Goes
Over The Rhine - Bothered
Chuck Loeb - Lockdown
Lou Rawls - Willow Weep For Me, God Bless The Child
Lorde - Royals
Richard Page - Shelter Me, If All Else Fails
Toto - Multiple cuts from Tambu
Yellowjackets - New Rochelle, Up From New Orleans
Zac Brown - Quiet Your Mind, No Hurry, Who Knows
Alice In Chains - Check My Brain, No Excuses
Lady Antebellum - Singing Me Home, Perfect Day
Alter Bridge - Come To Life, Before Tomorrow Comes
Eric Hutchinson - Rock & Roll (live), All Over Now (live)
Keb' Mo' - Lots of various cuts from Slow Down, The Door, and Blues Americana
Lizz Wright - Old Man, Trouble, Stop
Thousand Foot Crutch - We Are, Light Up The Sky
Several tracks from the Burning For Buddy albums
A few tracks from the Trolls movie soundtrack are great for sub/LF evaluation

I have a pretty eclectic taste in music...which works out well. If listening to a system for a live show, I try to pick something that somewhat resembles the genre that will be played...but not always. Obviously, certain tracks are better at diagnosing certain issues with the PA than others. A lot of my more critical listening material is WAV, the rest of it is MP3 no lower than 320Kbps. Although most of what I use to listen to a system is very nicely recorded material with a good dynamic range, sometimes I feel like I don't need that. If I'm walking a room to identify gaps or overlap in coverage, I think I can do that with FM radio playing as I'm listening to where it sounds different as opposed to how good it sounds everywhere. Just my 2 cents.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.