ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best technique for cleaning faders.  (Read 7915 times)

Mark Dawson

Best technique for cleaning faders.
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »

Hi all

We have an old DDA Q-Series in the ranks.  While still being a very usefull asset, it has dusty faders that scratch a bit on first use.  This nomally clears up a lot after a few full travels.
It is fitted with P&G faders, so it's cost prohibitive to simply replace them.
Can someone please tell me the best way to go about cleaning these?

Much Thanks

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
Re: Best technique for cleaning faders.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:16:17 PM »

Hi all

We have an old DDA Q-Series in the ranks.  While still being a very usefull asset, it has dusty faders that scratch a bit on first use.  This nomally clears up a lot after a few full travels.

Much Thanks
http://www.coopersound.com/Application/cleanpg.htm
(and the first hit on google)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »

It may be as much to do with DC voltage leakage from old caps than actual dirt in the faders. After the board is on a while it settles down and leakage is not as apparent on the faders.

Just a thought

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »

Hi all

Much Thanks

I think the short answer is to grab some faderlube f5 from guitar center, and follow the directions on the back of the can.

Ian Stuart

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »

Pour a little methylated spirts down the faders. you can use a dropper if you like. carefully but rapidly move all faders up and down to break up the grit and let this dry for a minute or two.

Electronics are not affected by this because small amounts of spirits evaporates within seconds, place a drop on a surface and watch it if you haven't seen it before. Plus, you can make awesome cocktails with it!

If it's the caps you can still replace them. If they are really old or you don't have the right values on hand, you can add them in series to make up the right values. wiring caps in parallel does something else too but I can't remember what this is at the moment.

If you feel like experimenting with capacitors you can change the values completely, for example, the values in your EQ determine the upper and lower ranges of the frequency response. Just don't fuck with the powersupply ones!

Jerry Turnbow

• Sound On Site Audio Services, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »

Pour a little methylated spirts down the faders. you can use a dropper if you like. carefully but rapidly move all faders up and down to break up the grit and let this dry for a minute or two.

Electronics are not affected by this because small amounts of spirits evaporates within seconds, place a drop on a surface and watch it if you haven't seen it before. Plus, you can make awesome cocktails with it!

If it's the caps you can still replace them. If they are really old or you don't have the right values on hand, you can add them in series to make up the right values. wiring caps in parallel does something else too but I can't remember what this is at the moment.

If you feel like experimenting with capacitors you can change the values completely, for example, the values in your EQ determine the upper and lower ranges of the frequency response. Just don't fuck with the powersupply ones!

Actually, combining capacitors is the exact opposite of resistors.  Putting them causes the values to be combined.

Jerry Turnbow
Sound On Site Audio Services, LLC

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »

I like how every response to this thread has different advice.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Mark Dawson

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:59 PM »

I like how every response to this thread has different advice.

Yeah, that's what I'd gotten both googling and youtube etc.   Hence why I posted it here to get a definitive answer.

With regard to meths, wouldn't that break down the protective lube hence I'd have to relube it?  And as far as cocktails go, If you strain the meths through a piece of bread it removes the purple colouring  :o

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »

Yeah, that's what I'd gotten both googling and youtube etc.   Hence why I posted it here to get a definitive answer.

With regard to meths, wouldn't that break down the protective lube hence I'd have to relube it?  And as far as cocktails go, If you strain the meths through a piece of bread it removes the purple colouring  :o
Please notice that the guide in the link I posted is actually written by Neal Handler from P&G.

Ian Stuart

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:49:48 AM »

Actually, combining capacitors is the exact opposite of resistors.  Putting them causes the values to be combined.

My bad!!  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:49:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.