ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to find different sensor type for haze/fogger for fire alarm for a venue  (Read 2910 times)

chris johnson

hey hey all. thanks for your time in advance. so hear me out. i am the production manager for a music venue in lincoln, NE. we have been having problems with large amounts of haze/fog setting off our fire alarm. i have been told that we have some sort of density filter, and that it can tell how much stuff in the air is not oxygen, or something like that. this is not a area i am familiar with terminology. sorry. i guess i have 2 questions
1. how does one find info on the different types of sensors available?
and
2. does anyone here know what is a good route to go for a 1000 cap venue? acts use haze here a lot. fog sometimes. if they fog the stage out, it goes right into our vents, and pops the fire alarm, and we have to call the alarm company to stop them from sending firetrucks. huge pain in the ass.

thanks for your time. chris

Tom Burgess

I'd recommend contacting a local alarm installation company.  The rules and regulations regarding these are pretty strict as to what type of sensor can be used in a given environment, particularly in a public space.  Any reputable, licensed, local company should be fluent in what is acceptable (and lawful) in your area.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

David Allred

The sensor you need is called a temp rise sensor.  If the temp rises at a faster than normal for HVAC, it triggers.  You will need to tell the Fire Marshal that the particulate (light blockage) sensor "hinders your business".  The sensors are a couple of hundred dollars.

Noah D Mitchell

hey hey all. thanks for your time in advance. so hear me out. i am the production manager for a music venue in lincoln, NE. we have been having problems with large amounts of haze/fog setting off our fire alarm. i have been told that we have some sort of density filter, and that it can tell how much stuff in the air is not oxygen, or something like that. this is not a area i am familiar with terminology. sorry. i guess i have 2 questions
1. how does one find info on the different types of sensors available?
and
2. does anyone here know what is a good route to go for a 1000 cap venue? acts use haze here a lot. fog sometimes. if they fog the stage out, it goes right into our vents, and pops the fire alarm, and we have to call the alarm company to stop them from sending firetrucks. huge pain in the ass.

thanks for your time. chris

Silent Knight makes what they call a 'multi criteria' sensor. Our new venue has them and we use very heavy haze, no false alarms.

I measures particulate, CO2, heat and rate of heat rise and intelligently comes to a conclusion about alarm status between them all.

They weren't much more pricey than the standard sensors. Again, your installer should be able to spec them.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.