ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound iQ12 vs EV QRx112/75  (Read 12559 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Turbosound iQ12 vs EV QRx112/75
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »

When I was down-sizing my rig (from 15" 3-way Klipsch tops over Cerwin Vega folded horns), I came across a great deal on a pair of SRX715's and started to think about the possibilities of just switching to an SRX rig.

Then I remembered that my goal was to lighten my load, reduce my setup/tear down time, and simplify my rig so that there were fewer ways to get it wrong or for it to go wrong.

This brought me back to my DSR112's and PRX618XLF's.

If I had to buy a new FOH today, I would wait until I could hear the new DZR12 and the DZR18 subs together and either go that direction, or with the now tried and true SRX812p and SRX818/828p.

As for rain, I get covers out pretty quick when any of my ~ 1K per box speakers are in danger of getting wet ;).  It looks like crap, but a simple sheet covering generally keeps the rain out of the box and off of the speaker material as long as you put something like a plastic bowl on top before you cover them to keep the water from pooling on top.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »

When I was down-sizing my rig (from 15" 3-way Klipsch tops over Cerwin Vega folded horns), I came across a great deal on a pair of SRX715's and started to think about the possibilities of just switching to an SRX rig.

Then I remembered that my goal was to lighten my load, reduce my setup/tear down time, and simplify my rig so that there were fewer ways to get it wrong or for it to go wrong.

This brought me back to my DSR112's and PRX618XLF's.

If I had to buy a new FOH today, I would wait until I could hear the new DZR12 and the DZR18 subs together and either go that direction, or with the now tried and true SRX812p and SRX818/828p.

As for rain, I get covers out pretty quick when any of my ~ 1K per box speakers are in danger of getting wet ;).  It looks like crap, but a simple sheet covering generally keeps the rain out of the box and off of the speaker material as long as you put something like a plastic bowl on top before you cover them to keep the water from pooling on top.

I've been running my QRx rig with the tops bi-amped using a DCX2496 (EV settings) and an NU4-6000 with a NU-6000DSP on subs. I'm waiting for the new Yamaha boxes to come out to make a final decision on which way to go. DSR, DZR, SRX or JTR. I'm also keeping an eye out for a used pair of QRx 212/75. I think any of those tops would cover my needs.

I like the iQ12, but it doesn't have the SPL necessary for outdoor shows.

I'm having 4 Keystone subs built by a cabinet maker friend (trading labor for food from my restaurant), so I'll have plenty of sub for the shows I do.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »

I've been running my QRx rig with the tops bi-amped using a DCX2496 (EV settings) and an NU4-6000 with a NU-6000DSP on subs. I'm waiting for the new Yamaha boxes to come out to make a final decision on which way to go. DSR, DZR, SRX or JTR. I'm also keeping an eye out for a used pair of QRx 212/75. I think any of those tops would cover my needs.

I like the iQ12, but it doesn't have the SPL necessary for outdoor shows.

I'm having 4 Keystone subs built by a cabinet maker friend (trading labor for food from my restaurant), so I'll have plenty of sub for the shows I do.

David - Scott mentioned the SRX series. Have you considered these?...Yes more money than the TS but I think you'd be very happy with the performance and wouldn't regret the move. I think you'd be disappointed using IQ's  after the QRX's for FOH.
Then you could save some cash and use TS for monitors - not that they are not worthy of FOH but as you have said they might lack some SPL outdoors.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »

David - Scott mentioned the SRX series. Have you considered these?...Yes more money than the TS but I think you'd be very happy with the performance and wouldn't regret the move. I think you'd be disappointed using IQ's  after the QRX's for FOH.
Then you could save some cash and use TS for monitors - not that they are not worthy of FOH but as you have said they might lack some SPL outdoors.

Hey Debbie! Thanks for the input.

I did mention that my decision was down to the Yamahas, SRX or JTR.  I know the TS won't cut it for outdoor stuff.

Honestly, I hope I find some QRx 212/75.  I love my 112/75, and with good processing, they are right up there with the single 12" powered boxes. I really want to go all powered tops with FIR and all that, but the QRx would be an easy move for me, and I would have the 112/75s for fills.

I have run an SRX835 (4) over 828 (6) rig a couple times, and I absolutely love it.  It just sounds huge and the vocal clarity is amazing.

I do love the TS boxes for monitors.  I have 3 10's, 2 12's and 2 8's.  I ultranet them for easy set up.  They get loud.  I get constant compliments from bands on how good they sound.  I have been leaving the in ears in my box lately and just running a wedge when I'm playing. I just built a Greenboy 1212/6 bass cabinet and it sounds killer, so I want to hear it :) The TS do make very nice wedges.

If Chris ever needs a bass cabinet, tell him to look at the Greenboy stuff.  I have had all manner of bass rigs over the years, and nothing sounds better in my book.  They are super flat response, so what you hear is what is coming out of the FOH. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 02:17:10 AM »

If Chris ever needs a bass cabinet, tell him to look at the Greenboy stuff.  I have had all manner of bass rigs over the years, and nothing sounds better in my book.  They are super flat response, so what you hear is what is coming out of the FOH.
Thanks for the info David - I'll pass it on to Chris. Although he tends to not use backline these days - just his pedals and processors straight to FOH using iem for monitors, he still has a couple of cabs - Fender and GK which he keeps around. He gets to use them from time to time - jamming with friends and some shows where PA is provided so I am sure he'll check the Greenboy out.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 02:17:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.