ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound iQ12 vs EV QRx112/75  (Read 12676 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Turbosound iQ12 vs EV QRx112/75
« on: November 14, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »

I am slowly working towards all active speakers.  My current rig is:

FOH:

2-EV QRx112/75 mono off a PLX1602
2-EV SB180 mono off a PLX3402

Wedges:
2-Peavey PM15
2-JBL loaded 12" trap cabs
All run mono - 4 sends - off an iNuke NU4-6000

At some events, I'm running the PLX amps on FOH pretty hard.  I am running dual mono 8 Ohm loads on all 4 amp channels for safety.  I would be more comfortable pushing the powered speakers harder because of the built in protection.  I frequently run sound from stage, so I can't be out front to hear if the system is showing signs of distress.

I would eventually like 6 powered 12" for tops and wedges and 2 powered subs.  I am interested in the Turbosound iQ12 for mains and wedges and possibly the iQ18B for subs, but I may choose a different sub as the reviews are pretty mediocre for the iQ18B.  I run XR18 and X32 mixers.

My question is would I be taking a sound quality hit by switching from the QRx mains to the iQ powered mains?  I know the iQ12 will be a step up from my current wedges.  I may just get 4 1Q12 right now to replace the wedges and test drive them FOH over the SB180 subs to see how they compare.

Does anyone have experience with both the QRx and iQ speakers?

Thanks,

David

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Turbosound iQ12 vs EV QRx112/75
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »

What are you processing the EV rig with? You don't have a lot of power behind those QRX boxes at the moment so you stand to get a pretty significant upgrade in output potential with the iQ series or any powered speaker in the same class/price range. Sound quality wise it's hard to say, the EVs have the potential to sound very good but that completely depends on how much time and effort you have put into the processing. All powered speakers at this level have a ton of engineering invested in the processing so these things do sound very good and perform well right out of the box.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »

I run QRX212s biamped. I use a PLX1602 just for the horns and a channel of a PLX3402 for the mids.

I think you are under powering your QRX which explains having to drive the amp so hard.

If you want to move to powered mains, be sure to compare the SPL specs to the QRX. If you get comparable speakers that are self powered you will be surprised at the headroom you will have gained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »

Thank you for the input gentlemen. I use a DCX2496 with EV suggested processing on the QRx. They do sound very good. That's part of the reason I'm hesitant to move to a cheaper top box. I do want to move to all powered speakers though.

The QRx is rated at 131db max, and the Turbosound iQ12 is only rated at 126db. I know I'm not currently get near that out of the QRx at this time at 400w and it doesn't make sense to me to upgrade the power amp when I want to move to powered speakers.

The iQ15 is rated at 132db. I could get 2 of the iQ12 right now and if they didn't cut it, get the 15s later and put the iQ12s on the floor as wedges. I'm leaning towards the iQ line because I can feed then with the ultranet sends off the x32 and stay digital.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »

Quote from: David Winners
The QRx is rated at 131db max, and the Turbosound iQ12 is only rated at 126db. I know I'm not currently get near that out of the QRx at this time at 400w
You mean 300w. At that power level you are producing about 122dB max so the iQ12 still has more headroom.

Quote from: David Winners
I'm leaning towards the iQ line because I can feed then with the ultranet sends off the x32 and stay digital.
Good plan.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »

You mean 300w. At that power level you are producing about 122dB max so the iQ12 still has more headroom.

...If the SPL spec of the iQ series represents reality.

I don't know specifically about the iQ series but I've heard many powered boxes from multiple brands that claimed 132-134 dB and would get completely smoked by the QRx115s I used to own that were rated at 130 dB.

I'd also be wary of purchasing the iQ without listening to them against the QRx first. The smaller HF driver typically means less definition in the high-mids because of a higher crossover frequency.

Now, it could be that the iQ is a well designed, well processed box that outperforms the QRx. I can't say for sure but I'm doubtful.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »

There are some old and erroneous/revised data specs still floating around for the iQ-series. 126dB is from the old specs.

The iq12 and iq15 are similar in level.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »

The latest spec for max spl  is 130db for the iQ12. I'm going to go pick up a pair this week and a/b them against the QRx. I am also doubtful that they will sound as good, but there's only one way to tell.

Jay Marr

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »

I've never heard the QRx speakers, but I do own a pair of the iQ12's.
They get plenty loud.

I compared the iQ to my EAW LA212 (only speaker I can think of that I own that is close to your QRx's), and I like the Turbo better (as did the other 5 people at the speaker shootout that day).
I also liked them better than my QSC HPR122i's and QSC KW122's.

For the money I think they're excellent.  I bought the demo pair from the rep that day and immediately swapped my EAW's for those.
I still like the iQ's a lot, but recently bought passive JBL SRX812's, and like them better.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »

Buy, borrow or rent a larger amp before you buy the Turbos.. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what the EVs will do. Put a thousand watts into them. You'll have headroom ..Why are the Turbos the only powered boxes you are considering?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.