ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: S6L trade in.  (Read 9570 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: S6L trade in.
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »

Ray, Is that how the trade in works? When we "destroyed" an old DDA for our Profile I'm pretty sure the extra percentage discount came from the manufacterer not the dealer.  Maybe I am wrong...

Jason
I don't know how the S6L promotion worked, and since it's concluded, that's moot anyways.

However, it was Roland's attitude of "SCREW YOU, DEALER! GIVE ME GREAT GEAR AT A LOSS!" that I was offended by and thusly responding to.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Roland Clarke

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »

I don't know how the S6L promotion worked, and since it's concluded, that's moot anyways.

However, it was Roland's attitude of "SCREW YOU, DEALER! GIVE ME GREAT GEAR AT A LOSS!" that I was offended by and thusly responding to.

-Ray

Most dealers do reasonably well and sometimes much better and sometimes worse.  I'm all in favour of good relationships with businesses, however I'm also aware of how "business" works.  If the dealer can't afford to sell it to me for that rate, they will refuse.  That's their deal and choice.  I work out if their bottom line and mine are the same or close enough I'm prepared to deal.  You pay retail with trade in discount it's commercial suicide, particularly with how this business is these days.  The devils in the deal.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »

Your previous post presents a much more adversarial attitude than this one does.

I still disagree with both, but I might be on the dealer side of things more often.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »

Let me elaborate some more. It all depends on whether the rebate was being sponsored and underwritten by Avid, or sponsored by them, and underwritten by the dealer(s). [Please note: I do not have any insight into this promotion, I am not an Avid dealer, and I do not own an S6L.]

Let's say the dealer cost is $50,000, and it lists for $85,000. Wowzers, I sell one AT LIST, and I make bank. Now, you wheel and deal with me, and I sell to you for $55,000. I don't stock them- I'm taking your money, placing the order with Avid, and drop shipping to you. So I am going to make $5,000 for not a lot of work. Now, if that rebate was being sponsored by the dealer, all of a sudden I'd be out money. So, I'm not going to go to $55K - I'm going to hold firm at $70K knowing you're going to get that rebate, bringing the net price to $55K. You can't expect in those circumstances to pay $55K and THEN get a $15K mail in rebate [MIR] on it.

But, sometimes it's manufacturer sponsored. In December, there was a $10 MIR for Shure SM58s. I could sell them ALL I WANT for whatever price I want (as LONG as I'm not listing them for LESS then MAP) - and the customer would still get the MIR, up to 6 units purchase. So, no harm off my back. However, when considering offers on eBay or whatever, I still factored in the fact that the customer was going to get $10 back from Shure when sending a counter-offer.

Sometimes it's a split. Same time frame, Shure offered a $10 Instant Rebate on SE215 earphones. Those were "partially sponsored" by Shure. They gave us 10% off the dealer cost and I was expected to cover the other $3. Yes, I am paying less for the units, but the customer is being shown a price that is more of a difference than the reduction in my cost.

Sometimes the manufacturer (or financing agent) puts restrictions on it. Guitar Center has moved to that model, when you use their in house financing plan(s). If you want, say, 18mo or 24mo (or more!) financing, you can't "wheel & deal" on the price- you are required to pay the list price. So, that SM58 is $99. You have cash/CC, then I can play with the price, but if you want that 18mo SAC financing plan? It has to go on the ticket at $99.

My main point of all of my posts is: Be fair. Work a great deal, but don't try to push the dealer more than they can handle. If I tell you my cost is $80 on something, that's really a no-bullshit thing. It's *really* my cost (OK, there might be a 4-5% consideration if I pay my invoice to the vendor within terms or whatever, but please, let me keep that!). The comment of:
Personally I'd have no problem with nailing his danglies to the proverbial wall! 😉
was what I took exception to. It wasn't a "he'd say no if he wanted to" comment, it was "I wanna force the person into losing money and giving me one of his kidneys" comment.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29:09 AM »

Ray, you're a Shure dealer.  They had a rebate program a couple years ago, so tell me how many rebate cheques you wrote from the Kelcema Audio account.

Yeah, I didn't think so....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 01:43:25 AM »

Ray, you're a Shure dealer.  They had a rebate program a couple years ago, so tell me how many rebate cheques you wrote from the Kelcema Audio account.

Yeah, I didn't think so....

That was one of the options:
Sometimes it's a split. Same time frame, Shure offered a $10 Instant Rebate on SE215 earphones. Those were "partially sponsored" by Shure. They gave us 10% off the dealer cost and I was expected to cover the other $3. Yes, I am paying less for the units, but the customer is being shown a price that is more of a difference than the reduction in my cost.
Only $3, because of this particular example, but there were larger amounts on other products AND just this past holiday season. Money coming out of my pocket, to support Shure's promotion. No, that wasn't a check I was writing to Shure, or the customer, but it was a reduction in my profit line to support the national promotion by Shure.

But hey, I'm just advocating that Mike's position ("Don't beat your dealer up for a great price THEN expect $15K off.") is a fair position. [And this isn't just 'wheeling-and-dealing good price,' this is 'bend-over-backwards-and-go-way-out-of-your-way-to support-them' beating up, I believe, based on his post.] Show me how it's not a fair position to support.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 01:43:25 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.