ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving band to IEMs - a couple questions, please.  (Read 16575 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Moving band to IEMs - a couple questions, please.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »

I usually find that my packs end up around 50-75%.
I can always tell if a musician is getting good isolation in his ears by looking at 2 things. If the pack volume level is up high and how much higher the faders are on kick and bass compared to everything else on the mixer.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »

I tell them to turn up the pack until they hear hiss and back it down slightly.

Usually ends up around 65-75% or so

This gives them a little room if needed.

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »

A lot of good stuff here. One thing I'll add and was addressed in a previous post. You'll need to mic things that you might not normally mic. For me it was the high hat. In small rooms I rarely need it, so it doesn't come into the FOH mix, but the musicians need it for the count.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »

Wow, folks.
I am overwhelmed by everyone's generosity, quantity and quality of the responses.  Not only what they are doing, but why.  A lot of similar thoughts which could be termed "best practices".  My mind   f i n a l l y   clicked on why stereo vs mono.  That one had me stumped for a couple years of reading.  Now it makes sense.  A little slow, but trainable.

So many points, like custom buds, and changing stock to custom buds is like starting over. Com mics. Light touches on ambient mics. Advantages of wired i.e., sound quality and cost. Reminders that gain structure is an end-to-end concept.

Some of this I kinda had figured out, but the reinforcement was welcome.

The good news is that the transition plan will involve practices before using them in a performance situation. 

I still have many questions - some offshoots of the answers I received - but some of this I'll work out on my own - a little more work on my part will solidify some points, answer some questions by doing, and I'll be a bit better prepared for the task at hand.

Thank you all.
frank

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »

I tell them to turn up the pack until they hear hiss and back it down slightly.

Usually ends up around 65-75% or so

This gives them a little room if needed.

In the senn transmitter there is a "sensitivity" that allows you to really eliminate that hiss.  I've only had success in dialing it back for users on molded in ears that need very little gain to begin with at the body pack... but you can dial that down to near silence. 

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 05:53:24 PM »

In the senn transmitter there is a "sensitivity" that allows you to really eliminate that hiss.  I've only had success in dialing it back for users on molded in ears that need very little gain to begin with at the body pack... but you can dial that down to near silence.

That's good to know.

I haven't messed with the sensitivity setting much. I believe factory is -18. I didn't want to go less  than that. But I'll certainly try if it help lower the noise floor.

About where do you set your?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 06:41:20 AM »

That's good to know.

I haven't messed with the sensitivity setting much. I believe factory is -18. I didn't want to go less  than that. But I'll certainly try if it help lower the noise floor.

About where do you set your?

I set mine to the clip level of the console, its gain staging and then you know when the system is going into clip which with the Senn units don't sound like clipping at all. If your musician complains about things disappearing out of the mix you need to have them turn up the pack level and you need to lower the overall level on your side since that tends to be the limiter kicking in in my experience.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »

EDIT: Stereo or mono is also a hardware function. Wireless stereo = more transmitters = more RF coordination = laptop, antennas, combiners, knowhow + setup time.

I must humbly disagree...and pardon me if I'm mistaking your meaning...but I have run into this on a few shows where I'm coordinating rf for others.
If you have say 6 iem transmitters you will have 6 transmit frequencies whether the transmitters are set to stereo or mono. They don't use 1 frequency for mono and 2 for stereo. The stereo information is encoded into the FM siganl and decoded by the beltpack receiver.
In the same way, an iem transmitter only needs one antenna whether stereo or mono.
Combiners should be used anyway to reduce intermod and but are not a specific requirement for stereo mixes.
You still need to coordinate the transmit frequencies even if all the mixes are mono. It is the transmit frequencies that produce intermod...not the stereo/mono nature of the mix.The mono mixes are a little more robust from "whooshing" artifacts in areas of less than perfect reception as they are not trying to decode the stereo information.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

I think what he was saying is that some wireless iem allow for 1 stereo transmiter~1 stereo body pack or 1 stereo transmitter in mono mode to 2 bodypacks in mono mode allowing for 2 independent mono mixs.

(I.e.)3 stereo tx for 6 mono mixs.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 10:35:30 PM »

I think what he was saying is that some wireless iem allow for 1 stereo transmiter~1 stereo body pack or 1 stereo transmitter in mono mode to 2 bodypacks in mono mode allowing for 2 independent mono mixs.

(I.e.)3 stereo tx for 6 mono mixs.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
That part I get but whether the transmitters are stereo or mono does not impact the need for rf coordination or affect the need for combiners or how many transmit antenna you need.

And as many have said before...stereo is the way to go if you can swing it. A little panning can make the transition to iem less confusing by having sources appear in the stereo field where you see them on stage.

One tip I can pass on...if anyone is constantly asking for more top end in their mix, check that they have a good seal on their earpieces. Ambient noise leaking in will mask the upper range of the iem mix.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 10:35:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.