ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF HDL50a  (Read 6563 times)

tom Narayan

RCF HDL50a
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:08 PM »

Hello , have any board members used this new line array from RCF.
If you have, what are your thoughts about this system.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: RCF HDL50a
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »

I attended an RCF demo where they had two 6-box hangs of HDL50a. Didn't get to listen to them for an extended time, nor do anything hands on, just a few minutes of tracks.

My first impressions were good. "Big" sound. A bit of perceived weirdness/harshness in the upper mid-highs, but that could be attributed to a number of things (unfamiliar room, deployment, EQ in the signal chain, etc).

EDIT: As opposed to harsh, it would probably be fair if I described the upper mid-highs as more "forward" than I personally prefer, but again, lots of variables and a short demo so take my input for what it is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:18:43 AM by Steven Eudaly »

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »

Hello , have any board members used this new line array from RCF.
If you have, what are your thoughts about this system.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Only just recently did I do a fly by gig. Poor mix position, fag end of the ground. 6 x HDL50/side. As are things, I cannot comment of accuracy of the shoot. I was told it was rigged using RCF array designer, which I think is extremely wrong. My experiments with it (using the 20) has always resulted in only the bottom box being angled.

That said, a loud box. And very bright. The brightness could be controlled im sure, it was borderline harsh, which again could well be a less than ideal deployment. With more EQ on the mains than I prefer, I got a decent mix and it was appreciated.

It has integrated smart networking, which is impressive. Make sure it is on a robust network with a fair power computer. The tech there was struggling to get his response from the laptop. Could be networking or computer or combination of both.

For me, it really would come down to the cost of the box to say if it is a great box or not. I am also fairly certain I could get it to perform real well given the time and tools.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:09:44 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:09:42 AM »

I heard a demo system outside early this year. Lots of standard demo tracks gave it a real workout. It sounded great and the subs were kickin! Nice rig.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

thirtha chengappa

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 12:06:14 AM »

At the onset You need to keep the price of the HDL in focus. For the price, (comparing it to the DVA T12 / TTL 33A II) you get a lot more components and a lot more power.  The HDL 50 A has exactly double the components when compared to the T12. That, in my opinion seals the deal for me. The quality of sound, is subjective, and there are enough and more EQ's on board to tame the system via RD net. If you are doing large scale programs, the HDL 50 is the way to go. Nothing comes close for the price. Just remember, you need to keep in mind the rigging and the cost that comes with it.

Bryan French

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 03:11:20 AM »

you get a lot more components and a lot more power. 
...for a lot more money...

MikeHarris

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »

A local client is putting a system together for their own shows  4xHDL50's per side to start with 4xdual 21's for subs. It was recommended they try the TTL6 for side fills over a single 21. Anyone tried the 6 ?
http://www.rcf.it/products/touring-and-theatre/ttl6-a

Benjamin Bielefeld

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »

I did a fly to gig with 12 flown per side at in indoor venue. I had a decent sound at FOH, clear and loud. My biggest problem with the box was the bleed onto stage. I measured 95 DB at FOH and 83 DB on stage... With my performers using a completely lidless piano and several other acoustic instruments (paired with IEMs) it was a very hard night for my poor monitor engineer.

My personal opinion: Decent box for the price but really only usable with DJ's or EDM performers. The bleed alone makes it extremely difficult for any other performers to hear their mix. Might be better at an outdoor venue.

Now I didn't know enough about the box so maybe there are things that can help prevent bleed. But I was pretty disappointed.

Chris LaRocque

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

I’ve heard a 24 box rig at an outdoor setting and I didn’t experience what you described.  Is it possible there was a reflection of some kind from a balcony or something? Or possibly it was too much box for the venue? 

Nitin Thakur

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:48 AM »

Any experienced Engineer or System Tech can get this system work for them but, in my experience, it takes a lot of time, effort and patience to get it right. For recorded media and shows like EDM or DJs it will work well like any other solution in the market. Figuring out the condition of this active box during show is limited as the software is slow.

Definitely at a great price point but then you get what you pay for.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.