ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DANTE and "Event Log File"  (Read 6883 times)

Carsten Lang

• Harmonic Sound
DANTE and "Event Log File"
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:25:49 AM »

Hey,

does anybody know, if there is an option in Dante-controller to show up messages in the eventlog if a device subscribes or unsubscribes in the dante-network?

Or is there another controller which write a logfile?

It would be really nice to now the time and duration in cases of failure.

Greetz from southern Germany
Carsten

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: DANTE and "Event Log File"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:50:49 AM »

Hey,

does anybody know, if there is an option in Dante-controller to show up messages in the eventlog if a device subscribes or unsubscribes in the dante-network?

Or is there another controller which write a logfile?

It would be really nice to now the time and duration in cases of failure.

Greetz from southern Germany
Carsten

My other vocation is a network engineer so I did a quick read on Dante and it appears that the interfaces support SNMP.  AuviTran makes software called AVS-Monitor that does just what you want, however you could roll your own with any network management package and monitor performance variables described in the devices SNMP MIB file. 

If anyone is interested in some assistance with this I would be glad to do a tutorial on how to walk a MIB and setup a process to provide the system operator with meaningful metrics.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Aram Piligian

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:40:39 PM »

My other vocation is a network engineer so I did a quick read on Dante and it appears that the interfaces support SNMP.  AuviTran makes software called AVS-Monitor that does just what you want, however you could roll your own with any network management package and monitor performance variables described in the devices SNMP MIB file. 

If anyone is interested in some assistance with this I would be glad to do a tutorial on how to walk a MIB and setup a process to provide the system operator with meaningful metrics.

A resounding yes from me.  I'd love to be able to do some monitoring and know a) what I'm looking at and b) that it's actually useful information.  I got burned by a latency spike and a loss of clock sync on a show this past summer and have been jonesing for something to look a little deeper to help with troubleshooting.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:53:12 AM »

If someone is king enough to stand up a small Dante network and put a Linux box on it and grant me SSH access I will take a look at the performance counters and toss some data out for us to argue about.

In the end we should be able to put a best practices doc together.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »

Uhhh yea, what he said.  Show of hands from those who have even a glimmer of understanding on how to do what Scott described.  I'm still at the 'little question marks are bad' stage with Dante Controller.

If someone is king enough to stand up a small Dante network and put a Linux box on it and grant me SSH access I will take a look at the performance counters and toss some data out for us to argue about.

In the end we should be able to put a best practices doc together.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »

Uhhh yea, what he said.  Show of hands from those who have even a glimmer of understanding on how to do what Scott described.  I'm still at the 'little question marks are bad' stage with Dante Controller.

I meant kind enough.

It's really quite simple.  SNMP is a standard IP protocol that allows programs to poll counters and other metrics from a device attached to the network.  Each counter has an ID associated with it, these ID's are called OID's.  OID's are described in plain english in file called a MIB

If someone has a few different Dante enabled boxes what I was asking was to assemble them in to a small network and place a computer running Linux on that network.  Linux has great tools for examining SNMP data.

SSH is a simple light weight, 1 TCP port application that would allow me to remote into the Linux box.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »

Scott you're an IT ninja doing sound, most of us are audio ninjas who stab at IT. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:06:02 PM »

Scott you're an IT ninja doing sound, most of us are audio ninjas who stab at IT.

+1

That being said, if no one else will step up to make this go, I'll try to figure fire something out as this information would be of great interest to me.

Scott, I'll probably have to build a Linux machine.  What's the quickest dirtiest way to make that happen.  I'm willing to buy a cheap windows machine as I kinda need one anyway and put a Linux paritition on it.  Just not sure what the goto Linux setup is right now.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »

+1

That being said, if no one else will step up to make this go, I'll try to figure fire something out as this information would be of great interest to me.

Scott, I'll probably have to build a Linux machine.  What's the quickest dirtiest way to make that happen.  I'm willing to buy a cheap windows machine as I kinda need one anyway and put a Linux paritition on it.  Just not sure what the goto Linux setup is right now.

If you want to pick up a cheap device that is super handy for little projects here and there, look at a raspberry pi.    Otherwise, I like "Ubuntu" for just getting kicked off.  You could even create a bootable USB where you can just use your current PC without changing anything on the hard drive.   Boot once to Linux for this project, and then go back to normal.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 01:27:55 AM »

If you want to pick up a cheap device that is super handy for little projects here and there, look at a raspberry pi.    Otherwise, I like "Ubuntu" for just getting kicked off.  You could even create a bootable USB where you can just use your current PC without changing anything on the hard drive.   Boot once to Linux for this project, and then go back to normal.

+1 on the Raspberry Pi, they are very handy. 

Any old computer can run Linux without installation using a Live CD.  I am a Redhat guy so CentOS Live is my go to.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 01:27:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.