ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DXR versus ELX question  (Read 6646 times)

dave milton

DXR versus ELX question
« on: October 23, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »

Simple short version:
Q) Would two Yamaha DXR15's be "equal" to two EV ELX112p's and an ELX118p sub?

And here's the long version with relevant details:

I'm putting together a very basic compact PA rig. The main factors are: super easy to use/haul/store/etc., decent but not stellar quality, and fitting within a given budget. I've already got a mixing console, mics, stands, cables/cords, and all that.....pretty much down to just needing speakers. I know that I want powered boxes.

This will get used for a variety of purposes, none of which will be super professional gigs. Some uses include: basic PA address system, background music for events, occasional duo or small band performances, party "DJ rig", band rehearsals, etc. Sometimes all that will be used is a single box with a mic or Ipod plugged in, and sometimes I'll use the whole rig for a live band and do a proper mix. Event size will generally be well under 200 people, could be indoor or out.

Here's a bunch of scenarios that I will likely be using this rig for (all of which I've done with other gear in the past):

A) Small room with a basic stage, seats 50-100 people, a variety of "folk" performers do a song or two each, generally solos/duos playing acoustic instruments and singing. This is a folk camp, and the performers are all playing a little something for each other. This room often gets used for stuff like this with NO PA support. I'd likely want just two 12" boxes or perhaps even one 15".

B) Another small room, about 40' square, with a dance lessons class of about 20 to 30 people. Just need something to play the recorded music for folks to practice with, but the instructor needs to be able to speak over the music (with no mic). Two of the 12" boxes would be fine.

C) Basic rock band plays in a small parking lot outside a restaurant. NOT super loud, something along the lines of "street performer" but with a bit more punch. Two guitars, bass, drums, couple of vox. I'd use either the mains plus sub setup, or two 15" boxes alone.

D) Jazz type band plays an open rehearsal in a theater that seats about 260 people (though maybe only 50 in attendance). All they really need is a speaker for the vocalist to sing through so that the other performers can hear her. Piano, acoustic bass, light percussion, acoustic guitar. A single 15" would be fine, but the two 12"s would allow for better dispersal.

E) Casual outdoor barbecue/family type party. Recorded pop/rock music for a nice atmosphere, but definitely no "club" or "concert" volumes. 50-80 people or so (not all of whom want "loud" music blaring). Two 15"s would be fine, but maybe use the two 12"s plus sub setup.

F) Standard acoustic duo in a coffeehouse gig....vox plus a guitar and maybe a violin or mando. NOT loud. Two 12"s would likely be more than plenty.

G) Political or somesuch rally. Need to amplify voice to speak to the crowd (maybe 100 to 200 people?). Two 15"s would likely be the best.

H) Warmup music and announcement PA for the start of a 10K run. Maybe 300-400 people. Playing uptempo recorded music to get people energized, and also making important announcements that everyone needs to hear. Obvious choice would be the whole rig with sub, but here's the kicker...immediately after the start, this rig needs to come down VERY quickly, get packed up in a car, and driven to the finish line (via a separate route), and re-set up in time for the first runners to arrive there. So, two 15's would be preferable to the 2x 12/sub setup in this instance. I've done this in the past with a single EON 15 which was adequate but just barely.

Yes I know that's a lot of things to ask of a single system (or more accurately, sometimes individual components of that system), but it's the real world, NOT a "if I could choose the exact perfect thing for every case" situation.

So, after a bunch of research, listening, and checking out the various possibilities, it's come down choosing between 2 options for me. They are:

A) A pair of Yamaha DXR-15's, by themselves.
 or
 B) A pair of EV ELX-112p's, with a single ELX118 sub.

There are definite advantages and compromises between these two, I'm aware. And yes, I fully realize that there are "better" options out there...most of which will cost more money than I've got in my budget for this. It would be great to have the best quality, and a larger quiver so that I could choose the "right size" for any given situation, but that really isn't an option.  I'm open to other suggestions, as long as they stay within this same budget, but really what I'm looking for here is your reaction between these two. If it was you putting together something for the purposes I've outlined, which way would you lean, and most importantly why?

Note that I don't really foresee doing any large/loud "concert" type gigs with a full band rocking out, nor do I need it to pump club/EDM type volumes. This is also something of a very part-time thing for me. My days of lots of gigs/shows/etc. are long past...this is just something I do once and a while for folks who know I have some background (and, in theory, the gear to do the job).

thanks so much for your input/advice,
d.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: DXR versus ELX question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »

A) NO. While the DXR15 may outperform the ELX112P, it will not replace the bass that the ELX118P sub would give you.

That said, the ELX118P is a very anemic sub and I think you COULD put together a top/sub combination for about the same cost that would work better, if you were not stuck on those being the only options you will consider.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

dave milton

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »

Consider me unstuck.  I'm open to other suggestions/options, provided that they stay close to  this cost range.  If you've got something in mind, I'd love to hear it.

thanks!
d.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:10:54 PM »

Consider me unstuck.  I'm open to other suggestions/options, provided that they stay close to  this cost range.  If you've got something in mind, I'd love to hear it.

thanks!
d.

I assume that you have a maximum budget in mind?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

dave milton

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

Well, I'm really trying to keep this under $1400 max.

The DXR15s generally retail around $1600 for the pair (which is well below list price I know), but I've been able to ferret out lots of deals down as low as $1100 (shipping/tax included).

The ELX 12s/18 setup generally retails for a little under $2000, but again I've found sources that can get me down to about $1300 all inclusive.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards these two options is that there ARE lots of deals to be had.  There may be other better quality options out there that have similar pricing as far as retail goes, but with most that I've found there are not a lot of discount deals to be had.  I'm perfectly willing to go with used/B-stock/refurbished and all that, which is one of the reasons that the DXR/ELX route is attractive.

All that said, if someone can find me a package that blows these away (or are even just a notch or two above), and that I could walk away with for under $1500 out the door, I'm all ears.  From what I've found so far, that's unlikely.  But, my own experience and insider knowledge is limited, hence me posting here to get it from "them that know".

d.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:40:39 AM »

With the caveat that it depends on brands and prices obviously and can vary a little, in general a 12" with sub will always sound better than just 15" tops.

The 12" will give you a smoother vocal and mid range, and a better transition to the compression driver, and the sub will extend the bass and sound much fuller and better than the 15" cone can do on the low end as well.

Usually this type of question comes down to quality vs transportability.  The 15" tops often becomes a good compromise if you need to keep things super compact, as although there is a small sacrifice on sound quality, they can often provide 'enough' bass (usually with pre-reecorded music, not so much live bands) to keep people happy if you really can't manage to transport subs.

But if transport is not too much of an issue, I'd always go with subs and 12" tops.

However, all that said, I'd also agree that the ELX subs aren't great, and if you could find another brand of tops and subs that would be close to your budget I'd have a look at them (unfortunately I'm in the UK so it's harder to look at US pricing).  For example if you were able to find a similar deal for the 12" version of the Yams, and the matching subs, I'd jump at that over the ELX ones.

K

dave milton

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 12:06:08 PM »

It occurs to me that perhaps I should have posted this in the Lounge.  Apologies to anyone who might think so, and if the mods want to move it I would understand.

That said, thanks so much for the replies/help so far,
d.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »

Depending on how loud you need the party DJ stuff, I have a DXS12 sub.  I mostly use it on a drum riser but have used it with a pair of K10s for smaller things.  A pair of DXR12s would outrun it in ultimate level but be a pretty versatile rig.  You could always get another sub later or upgrade to a much less portable single 18 or two.

You'd be surprised at how much sound a pair of DXR12s can make.  You won't get the deep bass with a box up on a stand that you get from the boundary reinforcement of something sitting on the ground.  But I'd bet that with a regular bass amp and a not overly damped kick drum (biggest sin of drummers who play without being mic'd up) that the pair would cover your restaurant patio gigs just fine.

The Yamaha's are much more neutral and warm sounding compared to the EVs.  The ELXs sound nothing like Sx300s or other EVs of old.  They have more of a JBL in your face sound.  For your quieter gigs the Yamahas will be much more pleasant for the audience to listen to.  They also hold together really well when pushed, and don't get more strident as the level goes up.

Thomas Le

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 03:20:06 PM »

Have a look around for PRX700, they were on closeout to make way for the PRX800W, unless whole inventory is now depleted...

jesseweiss

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »

If you can find them you can get 2 prx715s for well under 1500.

ProAudioStar has b stock 715s for 499. I've had good experience with b stock stuff from them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.